Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo View Post
    This is a pretty light day for me. Using FitTrack on a jog before work along with a bit of texting and a couple short calls before work. Some web/email/text usage at work, but nothing major.
    You fall in with the typical light to moderate use I have observed so far reading the forums. So if this is typical day to day, then you are in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Tcub View Post
    If your Pre isn't lasting longer than 12 hours and you are getting good - decent reception and not using it heavily, you may have something wrong with your battery/Pre. Take it back to Sprint and request a replacement phone and/or battery.
    Definitely a possibility, which can be definitely be determined breaking down the drain rate by detailing usage. If usage drains 50% of the battery then 12 hours from 100% to auto off would be reasonable though if usage uses 50% of the battery that would probably be heavy use. 2 hours of calls would use up 50% for example. And one may not consider that heavy use if those 2 hours of calls takes place over the 12 hours. After all that is only 5 minutes every half hour or 10 minutes every hour. Which is why I break down usage to get a core idle drain rate. If that idle drain rate is out of whack and there is no oddity contributing to the drain then I suspect a bad battery or pre.

Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    Nice survey. FWIW, I say you increase your n dramatically and turn this into something more about determining variables most likely to decrease drain/hour and by how much, rather than about simply finding an average battery life. That will be much more useful. Average battery life is going to be a garbage number anyways. Maybe start by explicitly listing variables under investigation you would like each person to report on.

Just a suggestion. Good luck with this.
    This is mainly what I research. I look for what rates certain things drain the battery. With that information I am able to do case by case determinations of what can be done if anything to help one improve their situation by optimizing things based on their use. It also allows me to determine a base idle drain rate and see if there is anything unusual there. If so I can look for a cause and if no cause then advise possible hardware problem.
    what kind of batteries does everyone have? i ask bc i heard japanese cells are better than chinese cells. i called palm and they confirmed
    Quote Originally Posted by harold42483 View Post
    what kind of batteries does everyone have? i ask bc i heard japanese cells are better than chinese cells. i called palm and they confirmed
    I have a Japanese Cell and my battery life is worse than I would expect. A post in the thread below attempted to correct the original poster indicating that the two cell manufacturing locations are Japan and Korea and the Japanese cells are the bad ones.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1936794

When you spoke with Palm, did they offer to send you a replacement battery?
    Quote Originally Posted by meandmypre View Post
    I have a Japanese Cell and my battery life is worse than I would expect. A post in the thread below attempted to correct the original poster indicating that the two cell manufacturing locations are Japan and Korea and the Japanese cells are the bad ones.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1936794

When you spoke with Palm, did they offer to send you a replacement battery?
    No they told me the easiest way would be to go to a sprint store and speak to them myself and tell them to replace it
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Thanks for the suggestion! I could take this much more in depth with the information in this thread already. That would be much more time consuming but eventually I'll get around to including something that states specific details as to how to increase battery life and what people typically do while getting "X%" drain per hour. For now, it'll be an average but once I see people want this, I'll compile more in depth data.

Keep the numbers coming! Thanks for the interesting discussion about japanese vs chinese batteries too! I had no idea there were different batteries. Certainly something to look out for if your battery is an issue.
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Thanks for the suggestion! I could take this much more in depth with the information in this thread already. That would be much more time consuming but eventually I'll get around to including something that states specific details as to how to increase battery life and what people typically do while getting "X%" drain per hour. For now, it'll be an average but once I see people want this, I'll compile more in depth data.

Keep the numbers coming! Thanks for the interesting discussion about japanese vs chinese batteries too! I had no idea there were different batteries. Certainly something to look out for if your battery is an issue.
    Depending on what data you post once you have all your data I will likely analyze it myself for stuff related to drain rates of specific things. I know in the past a number of the battery stinks posts simply were the person had heavy usage day to day. I don't see as many posts now as after launch so I think perhaps efforts like this of compiling data is helping people understand the battery better.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    Depending on what data you post once you have all your data I will likely analyze it myself for stuff related to drain rates of specific things. I know in the past a number of the battery stinks posts simply were the person had heavy usage day to day. I don't see as many posts now as after launch so I think perhaps efforts like this of compiling data is helping people understand the battery better.
    Any help analyzing the numbers we get or suggestions and how to use this information would be greatly appreciated! I'll certainly post the data and excel spreadsheet for everyone to look at once we fill it up!

We just need 16 more people to submit numbers!!
    Any help analyzing the numbers we get or suggestions and how to use this information would be greatly appreciated! I'll certainly post the data and excel spreadsheet for everyone to look at once we fill it up!

We just need 16 more people to submit numbers!!
    Off hand I can't think of any specifics. It'll be more of a once I see the data my brain will go into analytical mode and begin coming up with ideas of what to do with the data. I'm assuming I'll be able to recognize patterns and draw conclusions on the patterns. I will also be able to direct questions to individuals that provided data to form additional conclusions.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Off hand I can't think of any specifics. It'll be more of a once I see the data my brain will go into analytical mode and begin coming up with ideas of what to do with the data. I'm assuming I'll be able to recognize patterns and draw conclusions on the patterns. I will also be able to direct questions to individuals that provided data to form additional conclusions.
    Awesome! Thanks for the help! I'm looking forward to seeing what you can provide us!

I'm asking everyone who can to please take part and submit a screenshot of the BatteryMonitor app after a normal day of usage!! Thank you!
    vanadium,

Interesting though I think some of that went over my head. I don't know anything about streaming so perhaps in your info my curiosity as to why some of the streaming apps didn't draw as much power as others got answered in there and I don't know it. I'm curious why not everyone has been given access to that/those SDK?
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I have two batteries. Both are Sprint OEM Pre batteries; one that came with my phone and one I bought from another user. The battery that came with my phone drains at about 15% per hour. By 3pm its nearly wiped if I haven't plugged it in. That's with data on but very few voice calls. The other battery seems to drain at a rate of 3% per hour. I can take it off the charger at 7am and go until 7pm with still a good deal of battery remaining.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pupator View Post
    I have two batteries. Both are Sprint OEM Pre batteries; one that came with my phone and one I bought from another user. The battery that came with my phone drains at about 15% per hour. By 3pm its nearly wiped if I haven't plugged it in. That's with data on but very few voice calls. The other battery seems to drain at a rate of 3% per hour. I can take it off the charger at 7am and go until 7pm with still a good deal of battery remaining.
    Can you compare the batteries side by side and see if there is any difference in marking like manufacturer, cell origin, type number?
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Ooooh! I just realized the Seidio battery uses the Japanese cells...
    Here's my days worth of battery usage. Note that it sucks. The two drops in the curve are from brief Pandora use and GPS use. The phone was mostly idle. I love my Pre, but man I wish the battery life was better...

EDIT: It won't let me post the image because of my post count, so....
    Initial Battery %: 85
    Current Battery %: 13
    Runtime: 11h11m44s
    Drain per Hour: 6.43
    Remaining Life (hrs): 2.02
    I dont have the app installed pretty much stock pre with 1.21
    I work a 12 hour shift 3 days and its my first 3 days with the phone so gotta good idea of stuff....
    10am fully charged, only thing on was phone, all radios off screen low only text n call card open
    basically the first day installed apps took some pics lots of texting barely any calls heres the catcher screen brightness was the lowest it can be and by 230 it was at like 20% n all i did was open the apps to see what they were

This kid at work the same day was on highest screen brightness, surfin the net 3-5 cards open and radio and from 11am to 8pm his phone used about 70%

the next day we switched batteries his was at 20% and in 15 mins it went down to like 14% with only textin card open screen low....so I know its not the battery right?

other observations:
    both batteries were korean cell, the phone today had 4 cards open i opened a web page it told me close some cards

a few times a day in texting I get a new text i open it n its blank for like 10 seconds before the actual conversation appears

phone CAN be a bit laggy scrolling nothing major

Installed 7 apps tried to install another couple n told me I was out of memory to delete some apps? this is considering I have 7.1 gb available

I use the touchstone at night when I take it off in the AM it still shows charging logo unless I restart

What you all think?
    I see you have installed some homebrew tweaks.. While I'm not saying you did something wrong, have you tried restoring webOS and only running the stock OS? ie no mods. The reason I ask this is because I've noticed over time a section of my touchscreen stops responding/acts weirds and requires me to restart Luna. This is ONLY if I have some homebrew hacks installed like landscape e-mail, etc.

I'd try backing everything up then reinstalling webOS and see what happens without tweaks. If it still acts up then take it to Sprint and request a new battery or replacement Pre. Good luck!

BTW - Thanks everyone who's submitting numbers! We only need 17 more users to turn in their results before I'll show off the numbers!

The mods made no difference..factory reset and it's the same deal. Phone is gonna be returned to palm since my power button decided to stop working, maybe ill get lucky and get a new battery...
    IMAP is basically in two words push email. As items arrive means each email is pushed to your device when it arrives at the server. If you get a high volume of email each day it might be better to download email at a specified interval such as 30 minutes or 1 hour. However id you hardly get any email then as items arrive is better because it would connect less than by setting a small interval like 15 minutes.

I really only have two questions: How many text messages do you send in a day? And how much is the drain per hour if you let it go a whole day of not using it (not in airplane mode)? My gut reaction is woh insane drain but how many texts you send and receive in a day will tell the whole story.

Maybe a couple hundred a day, ive had to tone down quite a bit compared to using my treo 700p ...letting the phone sit all day doing nothing without airplane mode varies...anywhere from 5-9% per hour.
    My standby time overnight was actually pretty good. 2.71% per hour

This app is gonna be a boon for my OCD self haha.
    along with pic of battery app we should say if we have korean or japanese battery
    Light to moderate use from yesterday.