Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1.    #1  
    Current OS version: 1.2.1.
    Experiencing this issue before 1.2.1: No.

    After upgrading to 1.2.1, I am no longer able to use the phone without using an external microphone or putting the phone on speakerphone. If I attempt to use the phone's microphone, no voice/sound can be heard on either side of the conversation. In addition, the proximity sensor does not kick in when on a call. I assume both problems go hand-in-hand.

    I know one other person has experienced this particular issue. Has anyone else? I know its a rather odd problem/bug.
  2. #2  
    It sounds like your phone is stuck in headset mode. Try restarting the phone first to see if that helps. If it doesn't then try plugging in the headphones and then unplugging to try and get it out of headset mode.
  3. aenima396's Avatar
    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    #3  
    I have this exact problem, but mine occured after 1.2 update. tried the 1.2.1 update and it didnt fix the bug. so then I tried everything from partial erases to a full clean with the doctor.

    No Beans....

    chatted with the plam live support and we troubleshooted but could not resolve the problem. I call customer support and they are fixing it via warrenty repair. I paid the $30 to get a new (refurbished) phone by thursday. they do have the free option of sending it in to plam and they send a new (refurb) back when they recieve your phone. $30 didnt seem bad to have a new phone in 4 days.

    doesnt help, i know...but thats what happend for me.
  4. BrianHal's Avatar
    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    #4  
    The phone stuck on black using the proximity sensor, than I need to select the on button. After the update.
  5. Saundra23's Avatar
    Posts
    86 Posts
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    #5  
    Yeah I have this problem too. When I'm on a call .. the sensor won't kick in ... or if it does go to black .. I won't be able to get the screen back up until the call ends.


    NOT GOOD!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    It sounds like your phone is stuck in headset mode. Try restarting the phone first to see if that helps. If it doesn't then try plugging in the headphones and then unplugging to try and get it out of headset mode.
    That is definitely not the case. It works fine on speakerphone mode, but the mic (not speaker) does not work period.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by aenima396 View Post
    I have this exact problem, but mine occured after 1.2 update. tried the 1.2.1 update and it didnt fix the bug. so then I tried everything from partial erases to a full clean with the doctor.

    No Beans....

    chatted with the plam live support and we troubleshooted but could not resolve the problem. I call customer support and they are fixing it via warrenty repair. I paid the $30 to get a new (refurbished) phone by thursday. they do have the free option of sending it in to plam and they send a new (refurb) back when they recieve your phone. $30 didnt seem bad to have a new phone in 4 days.

    doesnt help, i know...but thats what happend for me.
    So basically you are forced to either use a headset mic or the speakerphone? The Mic on the phone does not work at all?
  8. MCBBurton's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    #8  
    I am basically having the same issue. After updating this past week, I noticed that when talking to people, I would inadvertently "conference" them by recalling them. I then cannot hang up the conference so we just disconnect our call and I call them back. I noticed that I can click the button at the top to disable the screen while talking, but then have to press again to bring it back or wait until the call ends.

    The proximity sensor was working FINE before the update. I don't use an ear piece or hook my phone up to ear phones. I have been reading many posts about mute/unmuting, hard reset, and other suggestions. I can't fix it. I refuse to turn my phone in for a refurb'd phone that may last only a few weeks. There has to be a way to fix this bug...any help would be AWESOME!
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by MCBBurton View Post
    I am basically having the same issue. After updating this past week, I noticed that when talking to people, I would inadvertently "conference" them by recalling them. I then cannot hang up the conference so we just disconnect our call and I call them back. I noticed that I can click the button at the top to disable the screen while talking, but then have to press again to bring it back or wait until the call ends.

    The proximity sensor was working FINE before the update. I don't use an ear piece or hook my phone up to ear phones. I have been reading many posts about mute/unmuting, hard reset, and other suggestions. I can't fix it. I refuse to turn my phone in for a refurb'd phone that may last only a few weeks. There has to be a way to fix this bug...any help would be AWESOME!
    My problem basically is: Without an earpiece microphone or the use of the speakerphone, I cannot talk on the phone, sadly. No sound can be heard from the phone's built-in microphone on either side. Not even the other person's phone. Everything was working fine with 1.2, but since 1.2.1, this annoying bug has happened. I agree, I'm glad Palm is diligent with OS updates, just wish less bugs were associated with each update.
  10. aenima396's Avatar
    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    #10  
    Any updates on fixing this? My second pre just did this and i am starting to think is is webos quick install bug. I find it hard to think both of my pre's would have the same software glitch from Palm's 1.2.1 update....or this thread would be blowing up with multiple cases of the same thing...


    What is really wierd is that a full restore using webos doctor does not fix the problem, so it is almost like a hardware problem.

    Does anyone know if some patches installed by webos quick install cannot be reversed with the doctor? which patches would possibly affect the prox sensor/handset?
  11. #11  
    While on a call what icon is displayed on the lower left side of screen?, does is show a head phone or a phone receiver?
  12. #12  
    I am having the same problem
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preuser2468 View Post
    My problem basically is: Without an earpiece microphone or the use of the speakerphone, I cannot talk on the phone, sadly. No sound can be heard from the phone's built-in microphone on either side. Not even the other person's phone. Everything was working fine with 1.2, but since 1.2.1, this annoying bug has happened. I agree, I'm glad Palm is diligent with OS updates, just wish less bugs were associated with each update.
    I know you didn't believe bpdamas, but your phone thinks the headset is plugged in. It's not your fault, it has happened to lots of people. What you describe is precisely the set of symptoms associated with this problem. If you look at the phone when you're on a call, you'll see that the button on the left side that says "Speaker" has a headset symbol on it instead of a phone handset. If you hit that button, the text will say "headset" and the symbol will be a speaker, and you can then hear and talk just fine. The speakerphone uses the same mic as the handset, it's just that it appears not to work for you because the phone thinks a headset (with a separate mic) is plugged in. So, speakerphone works fine, and headset works fine, it's just that the phone thinks the headset is plugged in all the time, even though it isn't.

    To fix it, there are several options. Many people report that you can fix it by plugging and unplugging the headset a few times. Some people report that it's a software issue and you can reset it by plugging and unplugging while music is playing. Some people say if you blow forcefully into the jack while the phone is upside down, that will fix it.

    Most reliable fix (it worked for me also) is to take a qtip, strip off most of the cotton from one side, use a little rubbing alcohol on it, and then use this to clean the inside of the jack. When I did this, the qtip was remarkably dirty.

    The theory is that the phone thinks the headset is plugged in because there is a slight short caused by very small metal filings from plugging in the headset. Cleaning it removes the dirt and filings shorting out the headset detector, and fixes the problem.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by aenima396 View Post
    Any updates on fixing this? My second pre just did this and i am starting to think is is webos quick install bug. I find it hard to think both of my pre's would have the same software glitch from Palm's 1.2.1 update....or this thread would be blowing up with multiple cases of the same thing...


    What is really wierd is that a full restore using webos doctor does not fix the problem, so it is almost like a hardware problem.

    Does anyone know if some patches installed by webos quick install cannot be reversed with the doctor? which patches would possibly affect the prox sensor/handset?
    By the way, running webOS Doctor is the equivalent of formatting your hard drive and reinstalling the operating system. It fixes all software problems (except for the ones the phone came with from the factory). It's safe to say that if the doctor doesn't fix it, it's not a software problem.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  15. #15  
    thank you. qtip worked perfectly for me. proximity sensor works also. appears as if the sensor doesn't turn off the screen when in headset mode which explains that problem too. ahhhh, peace again!
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousobserver View Post
    thank you. qtip worked perfectly for me. proximity sensor works also. appears as if the sensor doesn't turn off the screen when in headset mode which explains that problem too. ahhhh, peace again!
    No problem--I only know because someone else told me, and so the chain of forum users goes on.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions