View Poll Results: "Lite" version makes you more likely to bite?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Lite version is a must before I buy

82 83.67%
  • Meh, if it looks good, I will buy

16 16.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It is a great day. Wonderful to see paid apps come to the catalog. I don't want to gripe anything other than the "Try Me" function being unavailable on the two paid apps.

I hope that this is not a sign of things to come. Part of what made me buy apps on the Ipod Touch was having a "Lite" version to try first. I feel that developers need to consider providing a limited use lite version to get a handle on whether the app is worthwhile or not.

I know a similar question has been asked before, but I want to get more specific. If an app is an unknown quantity for you, would you be more likely to buy after trying a "lite" version first? Or, would you leach off the "lite" version until you were tired of it, and never really consider buying the full version?
    Agreed, although it has to be much better than that demo Tetris from EA that lets you play for all of 10 seconds.
    How about an option: Will buy when memory cap is lifted, not before?
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    It is a great day. Wonderful to see paid apps come to the catalog. I don't want to gripe anything other than the "Try Me" function being unavailable on the two paid apps.

I hope that this is not a sign of things to come. Part of what made me buy apps on the Ipod Touch was having a "Lite" version to try first. I feel that developers need to consider providing a limited use lite version to get a handle on whether the app is worthwhile or not.

I know a similar question has been asked before, but I want to get more specific. If an app is an unknown quantity for you, would you be more likely to buy after trying a "lite" version first? Or, would you leach off the "lite" version until you were tired of it, and never really consider buying the full version?
    i was just thinking the same thing
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    +1 - That is a good idea. I tried to download the Air Hockey App, but I have to delete one or more homebrew apps. I don't want to.
    +1 that's ridiculous, I'm ot paying 5 bucks for an app that I don't even know what it looks like
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    +1! No point in trying to buy apps now, I can't install any more through the App Catalog...
    I would imagine that a lot of these apps get sold based on a low price and a good description. I will be very unlikely to purchase most apps without a trial of some kind, but I bet there are also many apps that people are willing to pay $0.99 to try that they would never actually pay for after a trial. I imagine that trial versions will appear very soon because the first time someone pays $$ for a crappy app they will be much less likely to spring for an app without trying it first.
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
    In order for me to spend $4.99 for something off the App Catalog it needs to bring A LOT!
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    $5 is ridiculous, but overall it's not really that much money. But what scares me is Investing in an app that will be rendered useless IF you ever switch away from WebOS.

An iPhone will still work even after you cancel it. So any apps that aren't dependent on 3G services are still useful. I dumped my iPhone service but was still able to use the phone itself as a camera/internet/email/gameboy device. So the $50 I invested in apps are still useful and because of that the iPhone is still my primary phone camera because the phone apps are great.

But currently the Pre is different because if you cancel (or even upgrade) your old phone no longer activates. That means that if you switch away from WebOS then you're leaving those apps with the service.

So if this ends up remaining true then investing into WebOS apps is a higher risk. That makes the tiny $5 app feel like a much bigger high-risk investment.
    Last edited by Urkel; 10/05/2009 at 05:02 PM.
    No trial no app is also how I see it.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    $5........Nope!
    What is the point of the Pre (or any webOS device) if you don't have cellular service? The device is first and foremost a smartphone, by it's very nature you would expect to use it in conjunction with some kind of data service.

Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    $5 is ridiculous, but overall it's not really that much money. But what scares me is Investing in an app that will be rendered useless IF you ever switch away from WebOS.

Cancelling iPhone but apps still work.
    - I dumped my iPhone service but was still able to use the phone itself as a camera/internet/email/gameboy device. So the $50 I investedin apps are still useful.

Cancelling Pre but phone no longer activates
    - If you dump the Pre for another device or even upgrade to the Pre2 then the Pre you have no will no longer work without service. That means your $50 in apps are dead on that particular device.

So if this ends up remaining true then investing into WebOS apps is a higher risk. That makes the tiny $5 app feel like a much bigger high-risk investment.
    sometimes buy if there are lots of trustworthy online reviews, but it is rare. Trial versions will have to come eventually.
    $5 is waaay too much cash. Sorry, but I'm not looking to spend that much cas unless the app is stellar... And there's no way too tell without a free trial.

As for the app storage limit... Does Palm expect us to delete and re-download apps and play that shuffle game? Ridiculous. My apps storage is almost full with great FREE homebrew apps. Why would I erase them to make room for a $5 game?
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    What is the point of the Pre (or any webOS device) if you don't have cellular service? The device is first and foremost a smartphone, by it's very nature you would expect to use it in conjunction with some kind of data service.
    Isn't that the point of smartphones? To be something beyond just being a simple telephone? The Pre has WiFi, GPS, a Camera, an MP3 player, an email client, and soon will have thousands of apps. Just because someone switches to android or even switches to the PRE2 next year shouldn't mean that the current phone is useless. We paid for the phone (and the apps coming out soon) so it shouldn't be dead just because we no longer have cell service.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post

I agree... Try b4 we buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Isn't that the point of smartphones? To be something beyond just being a simple telephone? The Pre has WiFi, GPS, a Camera, an MP3 player, an email client, and soon will have thousands of apps. Just because someone switches to android or even switches to the PRE2 next year shouldn't mean that the current phone is useless. We paid for the phone (and the apps coming out soon) so it shouldn't be dead just because we no longer have cell service.
    The phone won't work with out service...Several people have posted this.
    For me it would depend on the app. If it was something I was already familiar with from a previous phone then sure I would. Otherwise if others gave it exceptional reviews then I might. If I didn't know anything about it probably not. I would want the trial first.
    How bout this: DON'T buy it...nobody will make you do it. Geez, everyone b*****d that there were no paid apps , everyone kept saying palm lied to them, palm didn't keep their promises, ENOUGH!

IF YOU DON"T LIKE IT, DON'T BUY IT!

wait a week and see how they are going to roll this out, when they have it all going at %100, then WHINE.

I WANT I WANT I WANT!

Chris S
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast