1.    #1  
    There are several articles (cnet,wall st) out today about hotmail accounts being hacked. This is a major reason why cloud syncing won't work in its current phase. If I recall correctly google mail was down a day sometime this year. That's why we need a desktop sync solution. It would have been better if the pre had both cloud and desktop sync. That way ppl have the option to have our personal info on the web.
    Unless you have a web server / email server in your house all email is cloud based.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Unless you have a web server / email server in your house all email is cloud based.
    +1

Start using GMail...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    There are several articles (cnet,wall st) out today about hotmail accounts being hacked
    If you read the article, you would understand that Hotmail was not hacked. Instead, they were most likely collected via a fishing scheme as Microsoft's data was not compromised.

Furthermore, it would be irresponsible if Microsoft did not store their passwords in a hash which means you cannot get the user's credentials anyway.
    If I recall correctly google mail was down a day sometime this year.
    If you recall, correctly, only the website was down for a portion of Internet users. It was restored quickly and your email was still available via POP or IMAP.
    That's why we need a desktop sync solution..
    Google Sync. Thunderbird. Outlook, etc.

Though, I wish there was a simple way to do a full back-up to my machine but I kind-of like my data out "in the cloud". I was incredibly paranoid about it but after maintaining my email server for so long, I moved to Google Apps because it's just so much easier and more reliable.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Phi****y phished, I made someone change their pw. He ended up creating a whole new account. Yay for using MSN as a office IM client!
    Shark Attack. Beaches don't work.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    +1

Start using GMail...
    +1 for GMail
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Shark Attack. Beaches don't work.
    Nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    Though, I wish there was a simple way to do a full back-up to my machine but I kind-of like my data out "in the cloud". I was incredibly paranoid about it but after maintaining my email server for so long, I moved to Google Apps because it's just so much easier and more reliable.
    The cloud still scares me a bit, but I am SO over plugging in my phone to do anything. Seems pretty archiac at this point.
  10.    #10  
    the point I was making was that online information was compromised unbeknowst to microsoft and without their approval. I wasn't concerned about email because I rarely keep personal info in my email acct. My issue is my contacts being accesible online because of the sync solution of the pre. It would be better if palm gave us the option. One more thing, it is not a stretch to say that something like this won't happen again in the future. Why not avoid the risk. If it can happen to micosoft I'm sure it can happen to google.
    the point I was making was that online information was compromised unbeknowst to microsoft and without their approval. I wasn't concerned about email because I rarely keep personal info in my email acct. My issue is my contacts being accesible online because of the sync solution of the pre. It would be better if palm gave us the option. One more thing, it is not a stretch to say that something like this won't happen again in the future. Why not avoid the risk. If it can happen to micosoft I'm sure it can happen to google.
    Like the 2nd poster said, your only other option is to install your own mail server in your house or data center which is still "in the cloud". Anything networked into the Internet will be in the cloud.

Plus, you will have LESS security with a half-*** home server setup because most likely you won't keep it patched and monitored as much as the Google/Hotmail/Yahoo systems are.

Point is, if you want to be safe the only way is to stay completely offline, but what's the fun in that?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Social Engineering will never go away, and that's what happened in the Hotmail case.

It can happen to anyone; it doesn't matter that it was Microsoft. Microsoft has no way to protect against people giving away their information.
    Social Engineering will never go away, and that's what happened in the Hotmail case.

It can happen to anyone; it doesn't matter that it was Microsoft. Microsoft has no way to protect against people giving away their information.
    Just adding more to that subject... Anyone is susceptible to being hacked/phised. If the US Governments servers can be hacked in a matter of minutes (big thing earlier this year), what makes you (Dvilgilante1) think they can't get to your accounts in seconds?

The fact is, as long as you use WAN you will always be susceptible to having your information intercepted which is right on with what NickDG said. There's always things you can do to help protect yourself further.
    Last edited by skakum; 10/05/2009 at 06:09 PM.
    If you read the article, you would understand that Hotmail was not hacked
    Don't be interjecting facts here, a point was being made!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Point is, if you want to be safe the only way is to stay completely offline, but what's the fun in that?
    And make sure your bank stays completely offline, and your credit card company, and your workplace, and the government agencies that have all of your personal data...

I'm much less worried about somebody reading my freakin' emails or seeing what's on my agenda than I am about all of that. Hell, my bank is monitoring my credit report free of charge now because they had an incident in which my information may have been compromised.