1.    #1  
    The Palm Pre is launching in less than 2 weeks and i cant wait!

Thing is i noticed when installing the webos quick installer you need to select the network sprint?

Is there any plans to include o2 for the uk or will selecting sprint work fine?

Or will this not work at all for us in the uk?

What is the need for selecting the network?

Thanks for your feedback.
    I may be out of my element, but I assume you are referring to WebOS Quick Install. This is the app you need to install other apps, including other installer apps. I believe the reason there are separate links for Sprint and Bell is that WOSQI needs WebOS Doctor in the same folder to run correctly. There are different versions of WebOS Doctor for Sprint and Bell.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this.
  3.    #3  
    Yes the webOS quick install.

Obviously a big plus point if the UK can also use these homebrew apps.

So as the network i will be on will be o2UK will choosing either Sprint or Bell work?

WOSQI what does this mean? Just figured this out lol

Thanks
    Cheers Mate!

As Bev said in order for WOSQI to work you do need the WEBOS DR ROM. When you first run it it asks which version you want to download. I would suspect that Jason R., The deveolper will add the option once the UK ROM is available.
    I hope the same takes also effect on the german Pre?
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for everyones quick reply.

Any chance of contacting the developer Jason R so i can maybe work with him creating the rom or is it easy to access once the pre has been released?

Also any issues to what operating system is required to run WOSQI?

I currently have windows 7, do i need to dual boot to xp or even linux?

Sorry if these questions are already answered in other posts i'll admit i'm a little excited about finally getting one after a years wait : )

Cheers
    Yes, once the UK WebOSDoctor is released, I'll update WOSQI with the new URL.

Though as long as you don't use the WebOSDoctor you should be able to get away with any version of WebOSDoctor.
    hmm
    Quote Originally Posted by blonqe View Post
    Thanks for everyones quick reply.

Any chance of contacting the developer Jason R so i can maybe work with him creating the rom or is it easy to access once the pre has been released?

Also any issues to what operating system is required to run WOSQI?

I currently have windows 7, do i need to dual boot to xp or even linux?

Sorry if these questions are already answered in other posts i'll admit i'm a little excited about finally getting one after a years wait : )

Cheers

Here's the direct link. Palm themselves are the ones who release this part. They released the canadian one as soon as it was launched so I'm sure they will release the UK version as well. It gives you a complete step by step installation and system specs. It's pretty easy.

I remember how excited I was leading up to the launch.

Cheers
  10.    #10  
    Thanks Jason,

Though saying i sholdn't use the WebOSDoctor then saying i should be ok using it, is a little confusing to me. Is the WebOSDoctor the operating system with tweaks to the network type.

Sorry if i'm being dumb!

Edit: Yes i was being dumb, i see thanks to luvmyq9c that the webosdoctor is released by palm themselves, all i do is download it and place the WOSQI jar file in the same folder!

I really cant wait now and i hope everything runs smoothly : )

Thanks for everyone's help, much appreciated.
    Last edited by blonqe; 10/05/2009 at 04:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blonqe View Post
    Thanks Jason,

Though saying i sholdn't use the WebOSDoctor then saying i should be ok using it, is a little confusing to me. Is the WebOSDoctor the operating system with tweaks to the network type.

Sorry if i'm being dumb!
    WebOS is the operating system. WebOS Doctor is a utility that restores your phone to factory status if you screw things up. This means you lose all the apps, tweaks, patches, files and other modifications you may have made to your phone. You don't want to use the doctor unless you really need to.

Jason was referring to the fact that you need a copy of WebOS Doctor in the same folder as WebOS Quick Install for Quick Install to work properly. It doesn't matter what version of the doctor you put in the same folder, as long as don't have to actually use it.

From what I have seen, Quick Install works with Windows 7, Vista, and XP as well as Mac and Linus.
    There's a third option on the quick installer that says "I don't care I'm using the emulator" or something like that - I chose that for my UK O2 Pre and homebrew apps seem to be working fine.
  13. npw
    I selected "I don't care" as well and it downloads the Sprint version. I have found some patches work and some don't. The ones I really want are landscape email, 5x5 launcher grid and iphone spoof but these don't install.

I wonder, what would happen if a Sprint/Bell webOS doctor was used on a European Pre to update to 1.2.1. Would this knacker it with the CDMA/GSM difference. Or is it just the OS.
    I installed 1.2.1 on an Irish Pre and it works fine