1.    #1  
    This issue is touched on in a couple of places but mostly burried in a huge thread and perhaps confused with other problems. Plus I think it deserves its own forum since it is so important.

Myself (and it looks like a few others) are having major problems staying connected to sprint after 1.21. Currently I am sitting at my desk and my Pre is searching for a singal. After a bit it will find Sprint, but no EVDO if I move phone a bit it will get EVDO for a second or two and then go searching again. This is all in an area that had no reception problem before. Without touching phone it is going to search, EVDO search, 1rx, search, etc.

Problem also happening at home (where have an Airave) where I know I am right next to a sprint tower. (I know for sure since I rented them the space to put it there!)

In short, keeps losing the Sprint singal and then searches. I expect this is also the reason some people are having battery life problems (since searching for a signal really drains the batt) and those that say they have missed calls (not getting a signal so no call) may be really having the same issue. Please post if you are having a problem with what details you can give.
  2.    #2  
    I not that there is a similar thread already here:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...lem-1-2-a.html

but that is just dealing with losing EVDO not with the total loss of signal.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    Problem also happening at home (where have an Airave) where I know I am right next to a sprint tower. (I know for sure since I rented them the space to put it there!)
    Why do you need an airave if you are that close to a tower?
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I had this issue - after upgrading there was no Evdo connection at all.

Remove the battery
    Open the phone app
    Menu and Preferences
    Under Network changed from Sprint Only to Automatic which allowed me to set Data Roaming to be on.

This took a few mins to kick in.
    Why does it need data roaming if he is right next to a tower????
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    Try a PRL update. How do you know its an omnidirectional tower? It could just be sending out signal in a certain direction. Not every tower emits signal 360 degrees.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikehoff99 View Post
    Why do you need an airave if you are that close to a tower?
    should have said at home and also next to.... Home is in valley and have always had signal problems but arave fixed them until 1.21
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by NxTech3 View Post
    Try a PRL update. How do you know its a Sprint tower?? How do you know its an omnidirectional tower? It could just be sending out signal in a certain direction. Not every tower emits signal 360 degrees.
    well I'm the one that leases the space for that particular tower to sprint but, in any case, the problem is that where there were once stable signals Pre 1.21 it is now unreliable and the issue is not limited to one location but several...
  9.    #9  
    OK, will type slower this time...

The issue is new and real and happened right after (I mean immediately) after installing 1.21. As soon as update finished, started having "phone offline" problems. It clearly has happened to others as well although their posts are scattered hither and yon in the forum.

What I hope to get with this thread are others that have had the same issue to see how widespread it is and if there is a common theme. Also if people have had the issue and think they have solved it, great.

So posts that say "my phone is fine" or "how do you know you are near a tower" or "switch to verizon" or "Obama is a commie" won't help the discussion. IF this is a big enough issue perhaps PC will do a front page story on it or we can get something from Palm/Sprint. Referring palm/sprint to forum threads where many have the same issue has seemed to work (sometimes) in the past. On the other hand, if it just a few of us with the problem, so be it.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Like Nxtech3 said, try doing a PRL update. I too, noticed the phone offline part when I first updated. I turned on flight mode and then turned it off again to have it search the towers. After that, did a PRL update just to make sure. This helped in my particular situation although I am not near a tower per se.
    As has been suggested a PRL update should help. Recently it made quite a bit of difference in a corner of my house where TMobile, Verizon and At&T phones have always had issues. Now the Pre works great
    What if my PRL update doesnt work? When I try to do a PRL update it says:
    The PRL update could not be completed. Try again later, if the problem persists, call Sprint Customer Service.

:[
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I've had some signal issues as well since 1.2.1, done all the updates that I could do but I swear I'm roaming more for longer stretches and in an area where I had a solid 3+ bars it was pulling no signal at all yesterday when I tried a few times to make a call. So not sure what is up but I atleast ran into some issues that I haven't before..
    Go Blue!

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    I thought I was crazy this morning because my Pre was saying no signal even though I always have full bars. Just updated to 1.2.1 last night so I haven't used the phone much since then. I did a reboot and it seems to work fine since then.
    I too am now seeing worse signal performance since 1.2.1. In fact, sitting at my office desk, my phone only has 1 bar whereas before it always had 2-3 bars. It also just came up and gave the error message that it couldn't establish a data connection to the network, etc., etc. I've only seen that message a couple of other times when the signal was really low but NEVER ever had a problem here at my office. Come to think of it, I had two dropped calls on Sunday but I dismissed due to being in the mountains (Asheville, NC) and figured it was the terrain. I already did the PRL update and have also restarted my phone and removed battery to cold reboot. Palm needs to fix this ASAP!
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I have issues with my EVDO signal on my Pre. It keeps switch between EV and 1X when I have like 3 or 4 bars. Very annoying because when I talk to Sprint they say I live is a good EVDO coverage area. My dad's Mogul doesn't have issues with the EVDO coverage, just my Pre.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    signal issues are a problem for this phone whether you have 1.1 or 1.2x. at this point i'm pretty sure the antenna just isnt sufficient.