Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I got my Pre last week, before I bought I heard the battery issue and read the reviews. I thought I don't mind charging it everyday so it's fine by me.

But now the thing is the battery won't last for a day! Maybe not even to the middle of afternoon from fully charged in the morning! I'm really disappointed and shocked! I really like the phone, everything is reallly cool and nice, but the battery life is soooo bad. I used WebOs 1.2.1.

I don't know if future updates will help the battery but I think as time goes by, the battery can only get worse.

I think Palm should give each person a free second battery or a free touch stone charge as compensation. But even so it's not enough, what if people are traveling or on vacation and can't access the USB / car / Touchstone chargers the whole day??

I don't know I should return this phone. I think I hav 21 days to decide?
    You know, i wasn't convinced about the poor battery life after the first 5,324 threads on this subject since June, but now i think there might be some truth to it.
    "Last edited by ChappyEight; 09/24/2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: To bow to zeravla."
    Dood! Data Usage off now makes my Pre a power-house, Typical day, up at 8PM and bed at 12PM I'm usually at 40% surfing the web, listening music, typical use. Now I am around 60%, I'm very happy with that .
  4.    #4  
    I will try that, but it's like you have a powerful machine but u can't use it just because it might be damaged...
    @OP: Here are some suggestions:

1. Be patient. Pre battery life is usually a bit horrid within the first week or so of getting a new phone or updating to a new OS. At some point you should see a remarkable improvement.
    2. Try to keep apps that you use frequently running (e.g. email, messaging) instead of constantly closing and opening.
    3. Turn off AIM if you don't need it.
    4. Whenever possible, keep WiFi turned on as it is less taxing on battery than the 3G radio.

I'm sure there's plenty more in the hundreds of battery life threads around here...
    yeah the pre battery is horrible especially when u have multiple apps running but i still the phone 4 some odd reason
    palm pre rawks!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    Dood! Data Usage off now makes my Pre a power-house, Typical day, up at 8PM and bed at 12PM I'm usually at 40% surfing the web, listening music, typical use. Now I am around 60%, I'm very happy with that .
    Im sorry if I read this wrong but how do you turn data off and surf the web?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by leftyman View Post
    He may be using WiFI
    Turn WiFi on.
    Turning wifi on isnt turning data off, but I get the idea.
    Turning wifi on isnt turning data off, but I get the idea.
    It is per the Data Usage slider's function. The Data Usage slider only effects the 3G radio. It should have a different name, but that's still how it works. WiFi uses less juice than the 3G radio, hence them allowing the option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    It is per the Data Usage slider's function. The Data Usage slider only effects the 3G radio. It should have a different name, but that's still how it works. WiFi uses less juice than the 3G radio, hence them allowing the option.
    I understand that but you do know that when WiFi is on and connected to a signal that the 3g radio turns off and will only turn back on when you are no longer connected to a WiFi signal?

so that option is kind of redundant.
    Ive found that the best option for me to save on battery life is to apply the roam only tweak (or the roam toggle app ) and apply that when in a marginal Sprint signal area which is 9 hours a day at my work desk.

Cuts my battery usage in half.
    I think (and i could be wrong), but when your screen times out, the WiFi shuts off and the 3G radio remains active.

So switching the data off prevents your phone from switching back and forth between WiFi & 3G.
    "Last edited by ChappyEight; 09/24/2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: To bow to zeravla."
    Quote Originally Posted by zeravla531 View Post
    I think (and i could be wrong), but when your screen times out, the WiFi shuts off and the 3G radio remains active.

So switching the data off prevents your phone from switching back and forth between WiFi & 3G.
    Yes, I think you are right, I wonder how much data is being used when the screen is off...Im thinking the phone might be in a sleep mod? and only receiving email thru 3g?

not sure but then when Im not actively using my Pre I tend to throw it on the charger anyways.
    I understand that but you do know that when WiFi is on and connected to a signal that the 3g radio turns off and will only turn back on when you are no longer connected to a WiFi signal?

so that option is kind of redundant.
    Yeah, use wifi but if you turn off data, when the phone turns off, there is no data coming in. Wifi shuts down and so does the EVDO, if you have data usage on, its always on so your draining more battery. Downside is, no emails will be coming in until you turn on the phone...I can live with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    Yeah, use wifi but if you turn off data, when the phone turns off, there is no data coming in. Wifi shuts down and so does the EVDO, if you have data usage on, its always on so your draining more battery. Downside is, no emails will be coming in until you turn on the phone...I can live with that.
    if your phone is just sitting there not being used, why not put it on the charger and leave the connection on...phone gets charged, you get your emails, and you dont forget to have to turn your connection back on when you go somewhere?
    Having the best battery day since June 6th 2009. Been off the charger of 12 hours and still at 84 percent. Nice.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    My battery life is grerat, if I don't use it at all. Otherwise, it pretty much sucks. I'm not sure what else I can do, if I want to actually use it from time to time.

I do have to say though, wher my house is, I get crappy Service so it's dropping off and on. I keep it on SPrint only so it won't roam.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Having the best battery day since June 6th 2009. Been off the charger of 12 hours and still at 84 percent. Nice.
    Enough about your Blackberry Curve, what about the Pre?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast