Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
  1.    #1  
    So i've been seeing the claims on how 1.2.1 has brought some much improved battery life to a lot of pre users, I however, am just not noticing it.

    I've been streamin a local sports radio station through thestreamcenter.com for a couple hours this morning and I am already down to below half battery life. I was pretty excited to see how this supposed improved battery would respond, and frankly, it just hasn't beem any different. Granted, I am streaming through the web using 3g, but come on, half a battery drained after only 2 hours of this? Seems a little ridiculous to me. Could something be legitmately wrong with my batteryor is this normal and just something I'm going to have to put up with?
  2. #2  
    umm wut do u expect the pre to be alien technology...of course its gonna waste crazy battery,.....3g takes up a lot of battery especially when streaming radio......plus all smart phones have terrible battery lives

    Update: try streaming radio thru wifi if its available or try and keep it connected to a charger...battery sucks on the pre badly...yeah i know it sucks but thats normal for a device that multitasks and especially when ur streaming
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  3. #3  
    This isn't exactly news you know... 5 hours is about all anyone would get while streaming Pandora, I barely get 6 hours when playing music actually on the phone. You won't even get better life from an iPhone doing the same thing...
  4. #4  
    so whats the question?
    if there is non it belongs here:http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...omplaints.html
  5.    #5  
    Yeah, I guess its just something I and everyone else will have to put up with then. Hopefully it improves with time and possible updates.
  6.    #6  
    What are you the forum police?

    ...and yes there was a question: Is there something legitimatley wrong with my battery?
  7. MaxLOL's Avatar
    Posts
    607 Posts
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by stksidehi8 View Post
    So i've been seeing the claims on how 1.2.1 has brought some much improved battery life to a lot of pre users, I however, am just not noticing it.

    I've been streamin a local sports radio station through thestreamcenter.com for a couple hours this morning and I am already down to below half battery life. I was pretty excited to see how this supposed improved battery would respond, and frankly, it just hasn't beem any different. Granted, I am streaming through the web using 3g, but come on, half a battery drained after only 2 hours of this? Seems a little ridiculous to me. Could something be legitmately wrong with my batteryor is this normal and just something I'm going to have to put up with?
    Quote Originally Posted by stksidehi8 View Post
    Yeah, I guess its just something I and everyone else will have to put up with then. Hopefully it improves with time and possible updates.

    The battery is a piece of hardware which will not be improved through software updates...

    If you are that concerned about it there are aftermarket extended batteries that you could look into.
  8. #8  
    Try using a g1. The pre performs like ron jeremy in comparison.
  9. #9  
    there's nothing wrong with ur battery unless if u close ur slider and it turns off then yes...but if its just about complaining about battery life then no...unless u get 1 hour overall of battery without streaming or not even using ur fone then yes ur battery has a problem
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  10.    #10  
    I understand the battery is a piece of hardware, and it really doesnt make sense for it to potentially preform better with future updates.

    Why then are people insistant that their battery life has been improved since the 1.2.1 release?
  11. #11  
    no idea...but for me my battery is the same...****ty
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  12. #12  
    for the same reason that giving a child a tictac and saying it's a tylenol makes their headache go away, most of the time.

    There wasn't really anything documented that would indicate battery life should be improved, and odds are that palm would have documented something that significant.

    That being said, software can obviously have an effect on the battery life, so it IS possible for updates to affect it..but most of the time it'd be advertised as a feature.
  13. #13  
    Question you are listening to the streamcenter on you pre?? I have wanted to do the\at since the phone came out. What did you have to do to get it to work?
  14. punzada's Avatar
    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    #14  
    I can't recommend the extended batteries enough, I've got the 2600 and it turned my phone from having to keep my charger around with me to simply not worrying about it when I go out now.
  15. GigaS27's Avatar
    Posts
    286 Posts
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by stksidehi8 View Post
    I understand the battery is a piece of hardware, and it really doesnt make sense for it to potentially preform better with future updates.

    Why then are people insistant that their battery life has been improved since the 1.2.1 release?
    Because they enhance software to use less power...hence better battery life. But don't expect it to change bit time, its very suttle.

    Anyhow battery only sucks when the device is used for streaming/web. When the phone is left unused and it performs task alone (email sync, phone, etc...) i can get about a day and half or so. So if you expect to be using your phone like a laptop (which has a big as battery and still only last 2 to 3 hours) than carry a charger with you at all times or an extra battery.
    Sprint Palm Pre-
  16. #16  
    plus im also "guessing" that having tweaks and services also drop battery life but thats just a guess
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  17. MaxLOL's Avatar
    Posts
    607 Posts
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by stksidehi8 View Post
    I understand the battery is a piece of hardware, and it really doesnt make sense for it to potentially preform better with future updates.

    Why then are people insistant that their battery life has been improved since the 1.2.1 release?
    placebo effect
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by stksidehi8 View Post
    I understand the battery is a piece of hardware, and it really doesnt make sense for it to potentially preform better with future updates.

    Why then are people insistant that their battery life has been improved since the 1.2.1 release?
    He's incorrect, software optimization can and has absolutely helped battery life. Thousands upon thousands of files and lines of code were changed/optimized between 1.1 and 1.2, hence the savings. In the case of audio playback though, it just takes a lot of juice, you have to think, you're basically having to run a power amp to send a volume you can actually hear to your headphones.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxLOL View Post
    placebo effect
    Is it placebo when one posts hard evidence?
  20.    #20  
    Thanks for all the responses!...I'll just have to start being more wary about how much I'm using these battery drainers

    And to who was asking how I was streaming on thestreamcenter.com (sorry I can't quote yet) all I'm doing is going to the website, choosing my state, and picking the station I want by clicking on the icon to listen live, which is all the way to the right on the chart.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions