Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. MaxLOL's Avatar
    Posts
    607 Posts
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    He's incorrect, software optimization can and has absolutely helped battery life. Thousands upon thousands of files and lines of code were changed/optimized between 1.1 and 1.2, hence the savings. In the case of audio playback though, it just takes a lot of juice, you have to think, you're basically having to run a power amp to send a volume you can actually hear to your headphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Is it placebo when one posts hard evidence?
    I was specifically talking about the audio playback. I do realize that there will be improvements; so, thank you for correcting me
  2. dead78's Avatar
    Posts
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    #22  
    the bottom line is that battery life on the Pre is only as good as your signal strength. if you're in an area with perfect data coverage which will not be the case for most of us, you'll notice decent battery life. if you're in an area where your phone is constantly bouncing back and forth between EV, 1x, and roaming data, your battery life will be crap. none of those code optimizations are going to be particularly noticeable unless you've got perfect service from Sprint.

    I have noticed that my phone talk time has improved with the recent updates, but only if I use the phone near my Airave where I get a full signal for every second I'm using the Pre as a phone. Over the weekend I used the phone for a while in an area with three bars of signal strength, and I had an hour of battery life chopped off. Since the Airave does nothing to boost EVDO, my battery life is crap when using the Pre for anything but phone calls.

    And do not underestimate just how horrid AIM is on the Pre. I have seen nothing to suggest running AIM is feasible if you expect to have any decent battery life. I can have AIM running with my Pre in idle, literally never turning the screen on, and I'll lose 5% battery life in 90 minutes.
  3. #23  
    To answer the OP:

    All true smartphone batteries are woefully underpowered. Unfortunately, this is just the nature of the beast with all truly full time "connected" devices.

    I've yet to see a smartphone with a truly adequate battery out of the box. And as referenced by some of the posts here, some are definitely better than others. The Pre is actually has a pretty decent battery life compared to many others.

    Really the problem is the battery technology itself. Unfortunately, we haven't had a monumental leap forward in this area, and it's desperately needed. We continue to ask manufacturers like Palm to provide more services, more functionality and beefier CPUs, more ram, etc, etc.

    Until the battery world is able to deliver on something truly breakthrough, these complaints are bound to continue. Palm and others can help by continually upgrading and streamlining the code, which I believe we've seen occurring (1.2 + definitely has tweaks to the code that help with battery life).

    However, the truth is, unless you want to haul around a 4 lb phone, we are going to continue to battle with this issue, regardless of manufacturer, for sometime to come.

    -Crack.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by stksidehi8 View Post
    So i've been seeing the claims on how 1.2.1 has brought some much improved battery life to a lot of pre users, I however, am just not noticing it.

    I've been streamin a local sports radio station through thestreamcenter.com for a couple hours this morning and I am already down to below half battery life. I was pretty excited to see how this supposed improved battery would respond, and frankly, it just hasn't beem any different. Granted, I am streaming through the web using 3g, but come on, half a battery drained after only 2 hours of this? Seems a little ridiculous to me. Could something be legitmately wrong with my batteryor is this normal and just something I'm going to have to put up with?
    The update appears to improve the STANDBY battery life. When streaming radio, you're using the cell radio at full power, meaning its about equivalent to voice talk time in terms of power consumption. That puts you right in the area of your expected battery life when streaming web radio.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    The update appears to improve the STANDBY battery life. When streaming radio, you're using the cell radio at full power, meaning its about equivalent to voice talk time in terms of power consumption. That puts you right in the area of your expected battery life when streaming web radio.
    Exactly. Standby battery life has improved significantly, like a max of 2-3% drain per hour in good reception areas, which is a marked improvement over previous versions, and translates to longer battery life overall for most people.
  6. dead78's Avatar
    Posts
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Exactly. Standby battery life has improved significantly, like a max of 2-3% drain per hour in good reception areas, which is a marked improvement over previous versions, and translates to longer battery life overall for most people.
    Weren't all of your posts in that other thread about how much you were using the phone and how much better the battery life was under that intense use
  7. s00pcan's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    #27  
    I've been testing this today too. My phone has been off the charger for 4 hours, 45 minutes and has 71% left. I've only used it for a few minutes out of that to look at some websites on wifi and send a text. That's a little over 6% per hour!
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    Weren't all of your posts in that other thread about how much you were using the phone and how much better the battery life was under that intense use
    Nope, they were about how much better it was over an entire day without changing my usage habits. Reading comprehension FTW!
  9. dead78's Avatar
    Posts
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Nope, they were about how much better it was over an entire day without changing my usage habits. Reading comprehension FTW!
    I said nothing about changing usage habits

    you claimed that you used the phone a lot (mostly at night, I believe) before and after the update, and that you noticed the battery life improved after the update.

    in this post, you've changed that statement to indicate that the phone gets better standby life
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    I said nothing about changing usage habits

    you claimed that you used the phone a lot (mostly at night, I believe) before and after the update, and that you noticed the battery life improved after the update.

    in this post, you've changed that statement to indicate that the phone gets better standby life
    I said that in that thread as well. That's why I get better battery life after the update, go find that thread and read it over again.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions