Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    I've had my Pre for about 10 days now and I finally had my first hiccup. I was browsing a photo album on the Kodak website and the phone locked up and restarted itself. Everything seems fine after the restart. Not really sure what happened or why it restarted itself. Anyone ever have spontaneous restarts? With my other phones if the phone locked up I always had to actually take the battery out to force the restart.

Now that I think about it, maybe this is actually nice if the phone was actually attempting to recover from a crash on its own.
    Youre probably rgth on...it just had a crash and rebooted itself...nothing major and I like that it did that if this is the case.
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    My treo 755p did the samething
    Sprint Palm Pre-
    Yah, come to think of it...my Treo 650 did too...it would reboot and ding. Forgot about that, so must be a Palm thing.

WTG Palm...every other OS would just lock up.
    It's not just a Palm thing. My guess is your Pre ran out of memory, the kernel panicked, and the phone rebooted. Many devices will exhibit this behavior.

The browser has a memory leak, and there are probably a few other leaks within WebOS. Search the forum for "memory leak" for more information.
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    Thanks, SiniStereO -

I wondered about a memory leak. I was still surprised to see the unit restart itself in an attempt to recover from the crash. I'm used to WinMo phones and as any of you that have ever had one of those can probably attest, they just freeze and you are forced to remove the battery to restart.
    Yah WinMo locks up, Simbian locks up, Apple OS locks up (rarely, but does lock up) and any dumb phone locks up. The only phones that I have ever seen and experienced to not lock up was anything branded Palm, and the Andriod I heard doesnt.

Had a Palm VII, Treo 650, and now Pre and none lock up (yet). Could be something with the Linux type kernel used maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by blaidan View Post
    I was still surprised to see the unit restart itself in an attempt to recover from the crash.
    Well, that's just it, really - your Pre couldn't recover from the crash. If it had, it wouldn't have rebooted.

Usual suspects are out-of-memory conditions, infinite program loops, bad driver calls, and kernel bugs.

You're absolutely right, though. Far better for the device to reboot than to simply hang, burning up battery. These days, there's no excuse for a device "freeze" - microprocessors have special timers (called "watchdogs") that automatically issue a soft reset if the processor stops responding. Trouble with WinMo, S60, and BlackBerry is those operating systems are antiquated, not designed with watchdogs in mind, and so they just disable the timers and call it a day. Hence, the hangs.

Way more information than you wanted.
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SiniStereO View Post
    Well, that's just it, really - your Pre couldn't recover from the crash. If it had, it wouldn't have rebooted.

Usual suspects are out-of-memory conditions, infinite program loops, bad driver calls, and kernel bugs.

You're absolutely right, though. Far better for the device to reboot than to simply hang, burning up battery. These days, there's no excuse for a device "freeze" - microprocessors have special timers (called "watchdogs") that automatically issue a soft reset if the processor stops responding. Trouble with WinMo, S60, and BlackBerry is those operating systems are antiquated, not designed with watchdogs in mind, and so they just disable the timers and call it a day. Hence, the hangs.

Way more information than you wanted.
    Quite the contrary. I am in the computer field and always appreciate a good bit of tech information. Your description was much appreciated. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    Apple OS locks up (rarely, but does lock up)
    Rarely? HA! I can honestly say I have bumped into more crashes on the white beasts than on Vista. I might be a little more intesive than a normal sheep, but I have never seen a laptop or phone made by apple which doesn't seem buggy, I don't know where this "Apple is a great software maker" comes from... not to mention how many security hole they have, if Apple really starts taking a good portion of the PC market they'd go down by virus' alone.
    +1

I myself LOVE WebOS from Palm. THOUGH not a Linux fan. MY Desktop/Tablet PC will never run anything but MS Windows!!!! I LOVE WINDOWS 7. XP was ahead of its time and a much needed overhaul...Vista was ok on my older system but slow, and Windows 7 is the best of XP, Vista, Linux and Apple OS together. Hope MS makes good on this OS as they seem to be doing it right already. Cool, fast OS - rolling out discounts for upgraders and early adopters. Good work MS!, now - DOWN with the BAD APPLE!!!
    The apple os freezes and crashes all the time with my iPod touch. It occasionally goes back to the home screen in apps like the web browser and other third party apps, and I have had it totally lock up a couple of times before where I had to let the battery drain to get it to turn off. My dumb phone has never frozen, and neither has windows vista on my laptop! I actually don't know why people hate vista and like macs so much. Vista is better than xp.