1.    #1  
    I keep finding myself pressing the center button, especially now that I have LED notifications enabled, to try and unlock the screen. Seems intuitive. Is there a patch to allow you to do this?

I also have a hard shell case on my pre and that top button is a pain to press, and unintuitive.
    One way is to open the keyboard. The center button wakes up the screen when the keyboard is open.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  3.    #3  
    Hey thanks for the reply, So I understand they added this in the 1.2 update, that is why I don't understand why you can't press it when it is closed, makes no sense to me. Seems like there must be a patch out there for it.

I am not worried about it unlocking in my pocket which seems to be some people's view on the issue.
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by expatriot23 View Post
    Hey thanks for the reply, So I understand they added this in the 1.2 update, that is why I don't understand why you can't press it when it is closed, makes no sense to me. Seems like there must be a patch out there for it.

I am not worried about it unlocking in my pocket which seems to be some people's view on the issue.
    Sounds like you do understand, you just don't feel that the reasoning is important to you personally. :-P
    Seems like there must be a patch out there for it.

Such a patch doesn't currently exist (at least not one made available to the public), but I'm hoping the Pre patch gurus are working on one. I'd use it as well.

I think the big concern is what you noted above about the button being pressed while in someone's pocket or bag, but that's a chance I'm willing to take.
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts

That is the exact reason why so it doesn't accidentally turn on
    Even if the button is pressed, you still have to swipe up to unlock the screen. Probably not very likely that you could press the center button accidentally and then slide the lock icon up accidentally before the screen sleeps again. Could at least be an option.
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    I am pretty indifferent on it, but the swipe to unlock thing is irrelevant. It's not that people are concerned things will accidentally happen (it couldn't without something like a finger or other capacitive-compatible object anyway), it's that if the screen is being turned on inadvertently by home button presses it will waste the battery.
    I want to know where people are storing their Pres that the button could actually get pressed. I just don't see this happening in a pants or shirt pocket. If your pants are skintight, I doubt you'd be able to get the Pre into a pocket at all.

I suppose it could be done in a loaded purse or briefcase of some sort, but I would venture to guess that is not how a majority of people carry their phones. Give us the option, at the very least.
    It should be a quick double click of the center button to light up the screen. That would make it almost impossible for a pocket turn on.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    Even if the button is pressed, you still have to swipe up to unlock the screen. Probably not very likely that you could press the center button accidentally and then slide the lock icon up accidentally before the screen sleeps again. Could at least be an option.
    It should be a button press + drag onto the gesture area to turn on the Pre. That will prevent accidental presses and give you a convenient way to turn it on.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    I agree 100%, this is actually how the iphone unlock works: press center button and then swipe to unlock. This should be available for the pre , it still requires a swipe unlock so it won't unlock in your pocket
    Either way you want to do it Palm, I would really like a way to turn on the phone without using the power button, two reasons:

1. The power button feels like it's going to break one day.

2. It's in a kind of awkward position. You have to hold the phone a certain way to get to it. Would be nice to have options.
    A quick double click to bypass the power button would be so nice!
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstanley753 View Post
    A quick double click to bypass the power button would be so nice!
    Agreed!