Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmax View Post
    These aren't rules. They are bullying. You can't even look at the candy in the store until you sign an agreement that says they can take back any candy you buy, even after you ate it?

I didn't stand in line in June for a Kindle.
    Well, everyone is doing it..
    This is just like signing mortgage documents or any other legal agreement. The terms are written to the benefit of the provider - either sign it unchanged or take your business elsewhere.

Just because the document says the company can do a thing doesn't mean the company will or intends to do a thing....
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4 View Post
    This is just like signing mortgage documents or any other legal agreement. The terms are written to the benefit of the provider - either sign it unchanged or take your business elsewhere.

Just because the document says the company can do a thing doesn't mean the company will or intends to do a thing....
    The difference here is you don't have to sign an agreement with the bank to see what they are offering. How would you feel if you had to sign a Eula at the DOOR of a new store, before you could even see what they are selling?
    The difference here is you don't have to sign an agreement with the bank to see what they are offering. How would you feel if you had to sign a Eula at the DOOR of a new store, before you could even see what they are selling?
    IMHO, poor analogy....you sign the EULA to use the product - the App Catalog. At the bank, you sign the documents to use the product - the loan/account/credit card.

And, if you don't purchase anything in the contents of the App catalog, there can be no impact on you what so ever.
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4 View Post
    IMHO, poor analogy....you sign the EULA to use the product - the App Catalog. At the bank, you sign the documents to use the product - the loan/account/credit card.

And, if you don't purchase anything in the contents of the App catalog, there can be no impact on you what so ever.
    I respectfully disagree. I CAN NOT SEE THE APPS CATALOG unless I agree to the EULA.
    I respectfully disagree. I CAN NOT SEE THE APPS CATALOG unless I agree to the EULA.
    You missed his point. The Apps Catalog, (that being the app itself, not the listing), is the product you are signing the EULA for. You can't use the App until you sign the EULA.
    It's not a new concept. Not only are is it common with installed apps, but there are lots of proprietary web sites that do exactly the same thing.
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You missed his point. The Apps Catalog, (that being the app itself, not the listing), is the product you are signing the EULA for. You can't use the App until you sign the EULA.
    It's not a new concept. Not only are is it common with installed apps, but there are lots of proprietary web sites that do exactly the same thing.
    Here is what I get to see if I do not agree to the EULA. That's it. They are keeping me out of the store. Before this upgrade, at least I could see what they were offering. That's all I'm saying...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Here is what I get to see if I do not agree to the EULA. That's it. They are keeping me out of the store. Before this upgrade, at least I could see what they were offering. That's all I'm saying...
    Actually, they're keeping you from using the software that lets you in the store... That's the point, you have to sign the EULA before using the software.
    The EULA is for using the store, not for getting apps. Stop confusing the two.

There's nothing stopping any application developer from including their own EULA in their apps, but that is up to the developer. This EULA has nothing to do with the apps on the store, it has to do with you using their store.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    We need EULAs look what happened to Rumpelstiltskin.
    Palm reserves the right to modify the terms of the Agreement at its sole discretion at any time.
    That statement is in most EULAs and usage agreements you'll find. What's more interesting is that they don't have a clause about not needing to notify you of a change (suggesting that they do, and changes without notification could result in legal action). For example, Google Doc's EULA reads:

Google reserves the right to modify these Terms and Conditions from time to time in its sole discretion, without notice or liability to you.
    Or Mozy:

Decho reserves the right at any time to modify this Agreement in its sole discretion, without liability to you.
    Is it right that you need to accept the EULA just to view the store? No, but given how lawsuit-crazy America has become, Palm's just covering their backside.
    It's not like you can install apps anyway. The memory issue seems to plague almost all of us.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    I guess I will contribute to this lame thread. If you want to see what apps are available, but don't want to sign the EULA (eye rolling) you can view them with description here:

Palm Pre Apps - Latest Palm Pre Applications for the Palm Pre Smartphone
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    It's not like you can install apps anyway. The memory issue seems to plague almost all of us.
    Don't know if you meant it as funny, but I found this very amusing (and true)
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    I never read EULAs for the following reasons:

1. They are never enforced.
    2. If a company tries to enforce it, they won't hold up in court.
    3. If they do hold up in court, there is always Molotov Cocktails(or the internet equivalent, which is basically an engadget op-ed).
    Go ahead and accept it. I used to date Eula, she's not that bad...
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    Don't know if you meant it as funny, but I found this very amusing (and true)
    First part was a joke, the second part was the harsh truth.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    HAHAHA! You actually are worried about the EULA? You prob are subject to 2 or 3 dozen EULA agreements right now. Who cares? Hilarious! Its lawyer BS. They arent going to come get you in the night.
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 911_Dude View Post
    HAHAHA! You actually are worried about the EULA? You prob are subject to 2 or 3 dozen EULA agreements right now. Who cares? Hilarious! Its lawyer BS. They arent going to come get you in the night.
    I'm sure that's what all the people who purchased content on their Kindle felt like before Amazon yanked titles that were already purchased off their Kindles "in the middle of the night".

Imagine if W. T. Robey had agreed to a Eula 81 years ago.
    DVD,

As everyone is telling you, sign up and look around. If you never download anything, how do the usage conditions matter?

And in answer to your question, "Am I the only one who has not accepted the new Apps EULA?"

Yes. You are the only one out of 41 posts in this thread so far.

DVD, I am betting that you have not read your Google, Amazon, Credit Card, Bank Account, Car Insurance, Health Insurance, Electric Company, or Gas Company terms. They all have the ability to modify their contracts.

Let me say it the other way. DVD, can you give us the link to a similar ongoing consumer contract that can't be modified?

And DVD, I have more bad news for you. Did you read your PreCentral Terms and Conditions before you posted here?

PreCentral.net reserves the right to modify content on the Site and these Terms of Use periodically without prior notice.

- Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 10/08/2009 at 02:26 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast