1.    #1  
    what is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by moe2889 View Post
    what is it?
    This is a tweak that makes your pre look like an iPhone to certain websites that seem to have optimised formatting for the iPhone but not the Pre. In other words, the sites will look better to you on the Pre using the spoof than if you did not.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    I'm finding more and more that I hate this tweak. Mobile versions of web sites may look nice on a phone, but they don't do anything. What good is it to go to a web site if every useful feature of the site has been crippled or disabled? Facebook is the greatest example. x.facebook.com/iphone.facebook.com looks nice but is completely useless.

The mobile web has grown up and is the real web now. Mobile web developers need to wake up and build to suit. Until they do, I'll be using the user agent that cripplewares the least number of sites.
    "Anyone who quotes me in their signature is an *****." -- StormD
    The other problem with this tweak is that many sites release mobile browser popularity and this is just padding the iPhone numbers. Contact the sites and ask for them to allow navigating to the site without auto detection, because they are doing it wrong.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    The other problem with this tweak is that many sites release mobile browser popularity and this is just padding the iPhone numbers. Contact the sites and ask for them to allow navigating to the site without auto detection, because they are doing it wrong.
    If you look at the latest version of the tweak it actually has BOTH webos and iphone strings listed in the agent. so webmasters will still see webos/pre hits on their sites.
    T300 - T600 - T650 - T700p - T755p - T800w - Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by hofs1 View Post
    If you look at the latest version of the tweak it actually has BOTH webos and iphone strings listed in the agent. so webmasters will still see webos/pre hits on their sites.
    That is an improvement. I wonder if that counts as a Pre, iPhone, or both. Unless it is the first, it is still inflating iPhone numbers.

It is interesting that Google Analytics isn't detecting mobile browsers well. You get a Safari with no os it seems. I'll have to hit my website with an iPod Touch and see if that is the same. I'm sure all hits have been Pre hits so far.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    That is an improvement. I wonder if that counts as a Pre, iPhone, or both. Unless it is the first, it is still inflating iPhone numbers.
    It depends on how they read the string. But if it spawns the iPhone website, you know how they are using the string, and that's probably what gets counted for traffic.
  8.    #8  
    would the tweek work on itunes if they put another block on it?
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moe2889 View Post
    would the tweek work on itunes if they put another block on it?
    User agents are only used by web browsers and web servers. Has nothing to do with iTunes.