Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I updated to 1.2.1 and Q.I. 2.72 and started to put all of my favorite tweaks back on my Pre. Now all I can get is the stupid "Palm" load screen. Can anyone tell me what to do!!??? I can't imagine a full day of work without my Pre!! I also see that the repair utility and web Dr doesn't work with 1.2.1.... SOMEONE PLEASE HELP?!!!
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Somebody smarter than me will likely chime in shortly, but to put your mind at ease for the time being:

At the very worst, you should be able to resurrect it with WebOSDoctor. Sure, it'll come back as 1.2.0, but then it's a trivial matter to update to 1.2.1. Of course you will have lost everything on the device, and that blows, but I seriously doubt your pre is completely and permanently bricked.

Hope that helps in the short term. As I said, somebody smarter should come along soon and hopefully they'll have a better idea...

rotello
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Were you going too fast? Tried rebooting?
    Before you try anything drastic, pull the battery, put it back and try to boot.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by rposa View Post
    Yes, I pulled battery out twice last night and it still only stayed on palm screen...? and Yes, I believe I did check a couple of tweaks before it has totally loaded back up... The wife was nagging about me spending so much time on phone like always so I thought it would speed the time up....
    Wrong!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by rposa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Toasters View Post
    Before you try anything drastic, pull the battery, put it back and try to boot.
    I did twice last night. Since that didn't work, I thought maybe if I left it out over night, something might work... NOPE, still only getting "palm"...
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    The same thing happened to me when I used the new version of QI. It would just stay on the palm logo without the animation. Run webosdoctor and it will fix that.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Yah having the same issue myself, had WebOS 1.2.1 and was runnign the new WebOSQI and it was doing the usual palm logo boot screen thing it does between patches and it got stuck there. Now it's stuck on the boot screen and when I try to connect it to my PC to run WebOS Doctor it says the device is not connected. Tried doing a reset by pressing Orange Sym and R and I've pulled and replaced the battery too. Still haven't been able to get my PC to detect that it's connected.

I thought I read somewhere there was a button combination you can press to force a harder reset, something stronger than Orange Sym and R, that's what I was searching for when I found this thread. I'll keep trying to get Doctor to restore it myself, and if I find a way to get it to work I'll repost. For those this has happened to, did you do anything special to get WebOS Doctor to work, or did it just work?
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZATZAi View Post
    Yah having the same issue myself, had WebOS 1.2.1 and was runnign the new WebOSQI and it was doing the usual palm logo boot screen thing it does between patches and it got stuck there. Now it's stuck on the boot screen and when I try to connect it to my PC to run WebOS Doctor it says the device is not connected. Tried doing a reset by pressing Orange Sym and R and I've pulled and replaced the battery too. Still haven't been able to get my PC to detect that it's connected.

I thought I read somewhere there was a button combination you can press to force a harder reset, something stronger than Orange Sym and R, that's what I was searching for when I found this thread. I'll keep trying to get Doctor to restore it myself, and if I find a way to get it to work I'll repost. For those this has happened to, did you do anything special to get WebOS Doctor to work, or did it just work?
    Pull the battery and put it back in while holding the volume up button (turn on phone while holding button). That will bring up a giant usb symbol so you can connect to webosdoc.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by awrnsmn View Post
    Pull the battery and put it back in while holding the volume up button (turn on phone while holding button). That will bring up a giant usb symbol so you can connect to webosdoc.
    Thanks. Strangely though this is not working for me. I remove the battery, and hold the volume up key as I put it back in and press the power button, all the while holding the volume up key. Tried putting the battery in and then holding the volume up key pressing power allowing it to turn on while holding the volume up key as well.

WebOS Doctor doesn't seem to be able to detect the phone when I plug it in.

I have gotten WebOS Doctor to detect the phone twice, I have to reboot the PC and rerun WebOS Doctor without the phone connected. Then after it's done checking the system it asks me to connect the phone, I do so and it detects it. It starts the repair process and I see it say charging battery with a progress bar at 0% (The battery is fully charged btw, but it is the Seido battery I'll try the factory battery too just in case). Anyway so it does that for a while then inexplicably it says the device was disconnected and asks me to reconnect it, of course it is still plugged into the cable. But this is where I see the giant usb symbol on the device, so I try to reconnect it to the PC and again WebOS Doctor can't detect the device... sigh

Anyway, I'm going to keep trying, restart the computer a few more times and switch over to the Palm Battery from the Seido 1350mah battery and let you guys know how it goes.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by jpdaballa View Post
    take your battery out for about 10 seconds

connect your pre to the computer via usb

hold the volume up button

put the battery back in

you should see the usb logo or something on your phone and you should be able to run webosdoctor
    Using this method is able to reliably get me the big USB symbol on my Pre. But my computer still can't detect the phone when connected, going to keep working on it.
    Last edited by ZATZAi; 10/05/2009 at 07:53 AM.
    wow that does not sound good. If you can try another PC? If that does not work Id take a trip down to sprint to see what they say. Just dont say anything about rooting the Pre or anything to them.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Ya....I had to do it when mine got stuck on the boot screen, it worked but took a few attempts, keep trying holding it up while turning on the phone, it should work. Let me know if you get it please (or if you don't, i'll try and help the best I can)
    Could somebody who experienced the issue please tell me what tweak you enabled (or disabled) that triggered the looping reset? I've asked before, but no one responded (I'd like to prevent other from getting this error asap).

Also, these are the instructions I posted in the WOSQI thread and may helpful here:

Instructions:
    1. Disconnect your phone from your computer.
    2. Download the current WebOSDoctor from the links in post #1
      • If the tool does not autorun after you download it, double-click the tool file in the location where you downloaded it.
    3. Select your language and click Next.
    4. Click Accept to accept the terms of use.
    5. After the tool finishes checking your system, click Next.
    6. Boot your phone into recovery mode:
      1. If your phone is on, turn it off by pressing and holding the power button and tapping Turn Off.
      2. If your USB cable is plugged into your phone's microUSB port, unplug it.
      3. Plug your wall adapter into a socket, and attach your USB cable to it.
      4. While holding down the Volume Up button on the side of your phone, plug your USB cable into your phone. Continue holding the button down until the USB logo appears on the screen.
      5. Unplug your phone from the wall adapter, and connect it to your computer.
        • You must connect your phone directly to your computer, not through a USB hub or other intermediate device.
    7. Click Next.
      • Warning: Do not disconnect your phone from your computer during the flashing process. Disconnecting the phone cancels the flashing process and may damage your personal information.
      • Note: If the battery level is low, the recovery process first charges your battery. This can take up to one hour.
    8. When the Reset Complete screen appears, click Done.
    9. Wait a few minutes for your phone to reset.
    10. Follow the instructions on your phone to either sign into your existing Palm Profile or create a new one.
    11. The reset is complete when Card view appears.
    It happened when I enabled the battery % icon. I had done a few before that but let the phone reboot after each one. Removing the battery fixed the problem.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Could somebody who experienced the issue please tell me what tweak you enabled (or disabled) that triggered the looping reset? I've asked before, but no one responded (I'd like to prevent other from getting this error asap).

Also, these are the instructions I posted in the WOSQI thread and may helpful here:

Instructions:
      • If the tool does not autorun after you download it, double-click the tool file in the location where you downloaded it.
      1. If your phone is on, turn it off by pressing and holding the power button and tapping Turn Off.
      4. While holding down the Volume Up button on the side of your phone, plug your USB cable into your phone. Continue holding the button down until the USB logo appears on the screen.
        • You must connect your phone directly to your computer, not through a USB hub or other intermediate device.
    7. Click Next.
      • Warning: Do not disconnect your phone from your computer during the flashing process. Disconnecting the phone cancels the flashing process and may damage your personal information.
      • Note: If the battery level is low, the recovery process first charges your battery. This can take up to one hour.
    10. Follow the instructions on your phone to either sign into your existing Palm Profile or create a new one.
    Jason, mine was not due to any of your tweeks (yours work GREAT for me), mine was due to my own oooops. I was changing some stuff and did something bad. Sorry I don't have any info for you. Good luck.
    I have not had the above issue, but my pc would not recognize my phone a simple pc restart fixed the issue. Just an idea and try a different usb port on the PC.

Instructions:
    7. Click Next.
    Mine was with the "spoof iPhone" tweak.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Jason,

I applied some of the tweeks with your latest QI 2.72 and didn't experience the issues above. I also applied the battery % but I only used the % without the symbol. The one issue I did have could be unrelated to the latest version of QI but the 4x4 icons would not remove after using the 2.72 version. It would show unticked but when I opened up 2.72 it would show ticked again. I don't know if this could point to the issues others have had but the tweeks I applied didn't "brick" my phone.
    Firdt make sure you have the current version Java 1.6. After that go to the thread "if you can't get WebOs Doctor to work. I would link I'm on phone. There are a number of steps that are useful. Try them until you get to post that works for you.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I don't remember exactly which tweak it was, but remember it was two in the top right on the tweak screen. Looking at the screen shot from your thread it was either Read-all/delete-all in Email or LED notification options in prefs. What I recall happening was this, I enabled the email tweak and then the LED and I got an error (Sorry I don't recall the error). I waited a bit and then tried un-enabling the LED tweak and then the email tweak, got the same error when I tried to unenable the LED tweak but it did uncheck. I then tried re-enabling the email and then the LED tweak to see if it would work this time around, got the same error again and then I got stuck the way I am now.

I'm running the Windows 7 64bit RC Build 7100 with Java v6 update 15 (1.6.0_15-b03) the latest version btw, I've been uninstalling and reinstalling Orca and Novacom now with the latest version of WebOS Doctor to see if that will help. I'll update what comes of all that.

EDIT:

Update, WebOS Doctor seems to be doing it's thing correctly now. I had to reboot the computer, unisntall Novacom, reinstall Novacom, reinstall Orca, get the latest version of the WebOS Doctor jar , do the usb mode reset while the cable is plugged into the computer, use the Palm battery (Not sure if that part is required) and tweak the 64bit msi install file with Orca the way described in this thread (Except the file name to delete has changed slightly from installumdf.08B8BE2B_9174_49D1_84B0_40324FD7DE34 to installumdfxp.08B8BE2B_9174_49D1_84B0_40324FD7DE34 (Or something close to that).

After everything is done being reset and it's running I'll update again. Thanks for the help so far everyone.
    Last edited by ZATZAi; 10/05/2009 at 09:16 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast