1.    #1  
    Please forgive me if this question has been asked before...

But I had been using "homebrew" apps before the 1.2.1 update. (I had actually had been using alot of the homebrew apps...), but then I updated.... and found out that one of the apps had a "updated" version, so I downloaded it an installed it.

As it turns out, the 1.2.0 update did not install the updated "homebrew" app... & I panicked... and ran the webos doctor... which in turn... wiped my phone...

(If you haven't picked it up yet... I'm not a very phone tech savy guy...)

So... I have spent the last two days updating my phone... & now I'm back to square one so-to-speak...

I've updated to 1.2.1... So now my question is: (before I try it & eff up my phone again...)

Can I install "homebrew" apps with this version of the webos.? (Please say yes...) (Wait... only say "yes" if I can do it with the webos quickinstall, upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart installation process.... because if I have to do a whole bunch of other steps... I'm sheet outta luck!!! HA!)

Thank you for your assistance my PalmPre genius's... ;-)
    I used Homebrew quite a lot before Preware came out, and now, I almost exclusively use Preware. I'm pretty sure Homebrew works fine w/ 1.2.1 so you'll be okay. While you're at it though, you should install Preware and get the DevMode Launcher app. It takes a lot less time using it as opposed to entering "upupdown...." every time. Good luck!
    We can not control the direction of the wind. However, we can adjust our sail.
  3.    #3  
    Whoa! What the heck is "Preware" & how do I get it?
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Use Webos quick install version 2.7 with webos 1.2.1. If you have tweaks and patches installed with prior versions of quick install then use that version to remove them before using V2.7.

Preware is a homebrew application that allows easy over the air selection and installation of other homebrew applications without the need to connect to your computer. It also makes it easy to install themes and patches. Other similar programs are FileCoaster and Preload.
    (The below was taken from the 'Preware' thread which, for some reason, I cannot link to. :\

Preware:
    For a complete change log, up-to-date installation instructions, and all other information pertaining to preware, Please visit the webos-internals preware wiki page: Application:Preware - WebOS Internals. The wiki will ALWAYS have the most up-to-date information on preware.

Installation:

1. Download and Run the latest release of WebOS Quick Install
    2. Press the third button on the right (img)
    3. Choose WebOS Internals Feed (all) from the dropdown list at the top. (img)
    4. Select Package Manager Service from the list.
    5. Press DOWNLOAD.
    6. Press INSTALL. (after this step your phone will lose evdo and be unresponsive for a little while while java restarts, this is normal)
    7. Press the third button on the right (img)
    8. Choose WebOS Internals Feed (all) from the dropdown list at the top. (img)
    9. Select Preware from the list.
    10. Press DOWNLOAD.
    11. Press INSTALL.
    12. You're done!
    Last edited by cdadams1223; 10/04/2009 at 09:05 PM.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ENJYLFE View Post

Can I install "homebrew" apps with this version of the webos.? (Please say yes...) (Wait... only say "yes" if I can do it with the webos quickinstall, upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart installation process.... because if I have to do a whole bunch of other steps... I'm sheet outta luck!!! HA!)

Thank you for your assistance my PalmPre genius's... ;-)
    Yes.

But then you really didn't mean that did you. What you really meant was please say "yes", then tell me how to do it. Which Huff and cdadams1223 have done admirably. Be sure to thank them!

The "Thank you" button is there ---->
    Whoa! What the heck is "Preware" & how do I get it?
    Use WebOSQuick Install.. and hit the third button down on the right.. and change the drop down to internal all and it should be there.. make sure you install package manager too...
  8.    #8  
    Okay... what if it reads "no device detected"?
  9.    #9  
    YYYYEEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!

Okay... forget my last post... I didn't start the Novacom...

YOU GUYS ROCK OUT WITH YOUR **** OUT!!! (Only if you're a safe environment for doing so of course...) HA!

Honestly!!! THANK YOU!!!
    Did you put it in dev mode first?
    YYYYEEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!

Okay... forget my last post... I didn't start the Novacom...

YOU GUYS ROCK OUT WITH YOUR **** OUT!!! (Only if you're a safe environment for doing so of course...) HA!

Honestly!!! THANK YOU!!!
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    (lookd down) How did you know??!
  13.    #13  
    Wow!!! You guys are AWESOME!!! This takes the whole upupdowndown ****z outta the equasion!!! Super cool!!!

Thanks again!!!