1.    #1  
    I somehow cannot get my ringer to turn back on. I've tried everything, yes even the switch. I can go into the sounds menu and turn the ringtone volume all the way up, but no go.

Any suggestions?
    This is why palm should have gone with a menu driven volume settings method.

I would like to see the settings for volume, notifications, mut/unmute added to the drodown menu in battery/wifi (top right). Winmo has similar settings for ringer volume slider, notification volume slider, mute, vibrate, etc...

switches break as the OP found.
  3.    #3  
    I press the ringer switch, and I still get the chime icon with the line through it. I've tried a soft reset, that didn't fix it.
    Have you installed any of the WebOS Internals patches? I've been fighting the same problem off an on today after installing a number of patches using WebOS Installer 2.71. Can't figure out what patch is messing it up... but I get no ringer sound and if I try to call someone, no sound is played via the front speaker (Along with the proximity sensor not detecting anything so the screen doesn't turn off). I can turn on the speaker in the phone app and it works fine. Also, my headset works fine for hearing sound.

It won't play the charging alert (I think this ultimately is the one that messed me up) when I plug it in and about 1/2 the time it will play the 'swish' for closing an app.

I noticed in the sounds/preference that I can't get any of the ringers to play outloud either via the speaker.

This is all with OS 1.2.1. I'm just about to head to the WebOSDoctor for a fresh install. Uggh.
    Former Sprint Treo 700p Owner, now Sprint Palm Pre- and HP Touchpad Owner.
  5.    #5  
    Nope, Haven't installed any patches. I'm running 1.2.1 as well.
    After doctoring back to 1.2 with no luck, I finally got it working. It was the headset issue (where it thinks the headset it plugged in). Don't know if it matters, but this morning I used a regular stereo headset, plugged it in for a few seconds and then took it out. Phone earpiece and proximity sensor are working again.

That wasn't any fun. Its definitely hardware related because it was still doing it after a complete WebOS doctor refresh.
    Former Sprint Treo 700p Owner, now Sprint Palm Pre- and HP Touchpad Owner.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    This is why palm should have gone with a menu driven volume settings method.
    I've got to say that one of the things that I really like about the Pre and the 650 Treo that I replaced with it was the switch. I really like being able to discreetly reach in my pocket to toggle the ringer on and off rather than fishing the phone out of my pocket in a meeting or a church service to turn it off.

I get the point about switches breaking but they shouldn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by APEowner View Post
    I've got to say that one of the things that I really like about the Pre and the 650 Treo that I replaced with it was the switch. I really like being able to discreetly reach in my pocket to toggle the ringer on and off rather than fishing the phone out of my pocket in a meeting or a church service to turn it off.

I get the point about switches breaking but they shouldn't.
    Agreed - having no hard volume switch on electronics is actually incredibly frustrating to me, whether on a PC or a mobile or anything else. I love the pre's volume switch and buttons - and the buttons are super handy for things like modding them to snap photos in the camera as well :-)
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I am basically having the same issue as "ASprintGuy" w/my proximity sensor not detecting my face after 1.2.1. After updating this past week, I noticed that when talking to people, I would inadvertently "conference" them by recalling them due to the screen remaining active. I then cannot hang up the conference so we just disconnect our call and I call them back. I noticed that I can click the button at the top to disable the screen while talking, but then have to press again to bring it back or wait until the call ends.

The proximity sensor was working FINE before the update. I don't use an ear piece or hook my phone up to ear phones. I have been reading many posts about mute/unmuting, hard reset, and other suggestions. I can't fix it. I refuse to turn my phone in for a refurb'd phone that may last only a few weeks. There has to be a way to fix this bug...any help would be AWESOME!