Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    If WebOS had everything it shoul (true Universal Search, separaye PIN & swipe unlock, a phe dialer that was more functional, better notification options, a more sophisticated web browser, search within and correctly working scrollbar position links, etc) then this whole Apple/Palm rivalry would be entertaining at worst. But unfortunately, WebOs and the Palm Pre have a lot of basic functionality they need to work on. So, Palm, stop waisting your resources on iTunes. Most people can easily switch to another media manager - what we need more is for Palm to concentrate on more impotant functionality!
    Palm is NOT wasting resources on iTunes because with a little bit of work Palm gets to use all the phenomenal resources that Apple puts into iTunes.

It's almost a freebee. In the meantime, Apple gets painted as the big bad guy controlling access to music and Palm gets to be the little guy taking on the big evil empire.

Sort of like the old days of little Apple vs. big mean microsoft.
    BTW, this is not a knock against Apple. They have grown to be a big powerful innovative American company.

It's just that they are in the peculiar position of being a major gateway to a product that they don't own, music. The same complaint that Netscape had against microsoft, except that was access to the internet.

I for one am so proud of Palm going after sync again, despite what Precentral.net writers advised. Palm gets it. Precentral doesn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeydcomment View Post
    If WebOS had everything it shoul (true Universal Search, separaye PIN & swipe unlock, a phe dialer that was more functional, better notification options, a more sophisticated web browser, search within and correctly working scrollbar position links, etc) then this whole Apple/Palm rivalry would be entertaining at worst. But unfortunately, WebOs and the Palm Pre have a lot of basic functionality they need to work on. So, Palm, stop waisting your resources on iTunes. Most people can easily switch to another media manager - what we need more is for Palm to concentrate on more impotant functionality!
    you could start your own cell company to make sure you have your perfect phone. There isn't a cell phone out there that is perfect. Something is always wrong or is missing a feature. Amazing that we live in a society that is always complaining about what we don't have and not appreciating what we do have..time to jump of my horse..see ya
    Methinks that Palm fixing iTunes compatibility is their developers' version of 'Feeding the Trolls'
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    I highly doubt Palm is using any significant resources for iTunes compatibility. Though it may be a bit more than the OP used on spell check.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I dont see why everyone thinks this is a big deal at all. I havent updated from my original Itunes when the Pre first came out. I guess if you buy music from the Itunes store, maybe you have to update it? I have a solution for you. Dont buy anything from the Itunes store.

2- I LOVE that Palm is giving Apple a hard time. Makes me feel like they are working hard to keep me pleased. (And I am. I love my Pre, I love Palm, and I love Sprint).

thank you Palm. Keep it up!
    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    I dont see why everyone thinks this is a big deal at all. I havent updated from my original Itunes when the Pre first came out. I guess if you buy music from the Itunes store, maybe you have to update it? I have a solution for you. Dont buy anything from the Itunes store.

2- I LOVE that Palm is giving Apple a hard time. Makes me feel like they are working hard to keep me pleased. (And I am. I love my Pre, I love Palm, and I love Sprint).

thank you Palm. Keep it up!
    Agree 100% with this!

I only now upgraded my itunes since Pre is compatible once again w/ the new version.

I hope Palm stays on top of this and keeps sticking it to Apple!
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    What is the big deal about being able to sync with iTunes? More than likely if you use iTunes you already have an iPod of some sort which neglects the need to sync your Pre. Plus iTunes can be a real pain in the ***** sometimes. The drag & drop approach the Pre takes is soooo much more easier. I have my 120GB filled to the brim with videos & music so the measly 7GB you get with the Pre is insufficient. I agree with the OP, why waste time and resources trying to out maneuver Apple over iTunes syncing. Palm needs to dedicate what little man power and resources it has into getting this phone on level with the rest of smartphones on the market because it really lacks a lot of basic features present on other phones. Your not frustrating Apple. They have substantially more money, manpower and resources to throw around. Palm is barely staying afloat and wasting time & money on iTunes is just stupid.
    The majority of the team is from Apple, they are not wasting alot of resources to getting itunes to sync.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    The last few iTunes sync "bugs" should have taken them no more than 10 minutes of developer time. And that's probably including regression testing.

It's literally changing one string in one configuration file. It's not rocket science.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gompers View Post
    The last few iTunes sync "bugs" should have taken them no more than 10 minutes of developer time. And that's probably including regression testing.

It's literally changing one string in one configuration file. It's not rocket science.
    Well how long would it take Palm developers to enable text forwarding? A year? Video recorder? 18 months? Voice dialing? 2 years? And the list goes on. I wonder how much developer time it took almost every other phone manufacture to put these features on almost every other phone on the market? Meanwhile Palm is worrying about iTunes & animated menus!
    Quote Originally Posted by klbjr View Post
    What is the big deal about being able to sync with iTunes? More than likely if you use iTunes you already have an iPod of some sort which neglects the need to sync your Pre.
    Stupid for you maybe, but not for those that use iTunes (and those, like me, that understand that my needs aren't the needs of everyone.)

The quip about not needing iTunes for a Pre since they have a phone would be akin to me saying I didn't need a Treo since I had Palm III and a mobile phone. The idea back then was convergence. It still is, it just encompasses more...
    Well how long would it take Palm developers to enable text forwarding? A year? Video recorder? 18 months? Voice dialing? 2 years? And the list goes on. I wonder how much developer time it took almost every other phone manufacture to put these features on almost every other phone on the market? Meanwhile Palm is worrying about iTunes & animated menus!
    I agree.. Im not bombing my phone because I love it but come on some things that we are missing are very simple and does not take forever to enable. Look at homebrew thriving.. Its not that hard for palm to do it. YES I KNOW THEY HAVE LIABILITY WHEN COMING OUT WITH UPDATES AND HOMEBREW DOESNT. YES I KNOW THEY HAVE TO TEST IT. BUT IT DOESNT TAKE THAT LONG FOR SOMETHING SIMPLE LIKE TEXT FORWARDING. Video I can understand..
    Things like this will be done in the next month or two, I would guess. I really think they were focusing on other major security, stability, speed fixes, etc. There's other things that are far more important to a functional device that people can bear. They're building the App Catalog foundation. I like that it's supposed to save all the apps I download from the Catalog. That's pretty sweet. Does iTunes do that with the iPhone? I really have no idea but would like to know. And Palm's working with Adobe to get Flash going. They're working on enhancing the SDK... on releasing real hardware APIs.

Many more things Palm is worried about besides your text forwarding. You will have to deal with it so that a new world can be created. Imagine how long iPhone users had to wait for some of the simplest features. You've just gotta deal with it for a few months. When some of the other key foundations are built and all the loose ends tied up, I'm sure we'll see a software package that enables you to use every inch of your phone's power... but you've got to have some patience. The world isn't going to end in 2012, ya know. You're just gonna have to start pedaling more.
    What is the big deal about being able to sync with iTunes? More than likely if you use iTunes you already have an iPod of some sort which neglects the need to sync your Pre. Plus iTunes can be a real pain in the ***** sometimes. The drag & drop approach the Pre takes is soooo much more easier. I have my 120GB filled to the brim with videos & music so the measly 7GB you get with the Pre is insufficient.
    I have been using iTunes for years and have never owned an iPod or other portable MP3 player. I play music off my computer and I have burned CDs for my car and such. When I got my Centro, I put a bunch of music on it (on the SD card actually). Now with my Pre, I put a little over 2GB worth of music on it. That is a lot of music, though nothing near my full collection - but I don't need that much music on my phone, since I pretty much only listen to music on it when travelling.

I like syncing my Pre with iTunes, so I am glad Palm has not given up on it. While I haven't changed the music on my Pre since first getting it, someday I might so I will want it synced with my iTunes.

I haven't had issues with iTunes. And I love that I can get frequent flyer miles buying my music on iTunes, too.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    The quip about not needing iTunes for a Pre since they have a phone would be akin to me saying I didn't need a Treo since I had Palm III and a mobile phone. The idea back then was convergence. It still is, it just encompasses more...
    I understand what your saying about convergence. Why carry two devices around when you can have one that does both, but if convergence was what they were aiming for they would have given us more than 7GB to play around with or at least a SD slot like almost every other mp3 player/phone on the market.

Many more things Palm is worried about besides your text forwarding. You will have to deal with it so that a new world can be created. Imagine how long iPhone users had to wait for some of the simplest features. You've just gotta deal with it for a few months. When some of the other key foundations are built and all the loose ends tied up, I'm sure we'll see a software package that enables you to use every inch of your phone's power... but you've got to have some patience. The world isn't going to end in 2012, ya know. You're just gonna have to start pedaling more
    Why do we keep coming back to what the iPhone had or could do when it was first released? The iPhone was a one of a kind device with really no competition. Granted there was other smartphones on the market but the iPhone doesn't fit neatly into that category. It's more of a smart/multimedia phone. The whole wait and see attitude is wearing thing. Palm is moving at a snails pace at just giving us basic features seen on almost every other phone not just smartphone on the market. The world isn't gonna end in 2012 but the life of Palm and the Pre may. Look how fast the competition is coming out with new phones that have these basic features. What will we have to wait until the next WebOS phone to get these features? If it takes that long just how many people would buy it after seeing the trouble we had with the Pre? I for one would never buy another Palm device after this debacle we call the Pre.
    The whole wait and see attitude is wearing thing. Palm is moving at a snails pace at just giving us basic features seen on almost every other phone not just smartphone on the market. The world isn't gonna end in 2012 but the life of Palm and the Pre may. Look how fast the competition is coming out with new phones that have these basic features. What will we have to wait until the next WebOS phone to get these features? If it takes that long just how many people would buy it after seeing the trouble we had with the Pre? I for one would never buy another Palm device after this debacle we call the Pre.
    Honestly. Why did you bother to buy the Pre in the first place? Obviously some features are handled inferior to other smartphone platform, while others are handled better.
    If I buy something I base it on the features it currently has - not on what it might have in the future. If the Pre is lacking things you NEED on a phone - don't buy it. Simple as that.
    If you need messaging options - buy RIM. If you want a gazillion apps that are 90% identical in what they do - go Apple.
    And as for Pre ceasing to exist in 2012 - that's pretty certain. A followup should have hit the market by then.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SensorMan View Post
    Honestly. Why did you bother to buy the Pre in the first place? Obviously some features are handled inferior to other smartphone platform, while others are handled better.
    If I buy something I base it on the features it currently has - not on what it might have in the future. If the Pre is lacking things you NEED on a phone - don't buy it. Simple as that.
    If you need messaging options - buy RIM. If you want a gazillion apps that are 90% identical in what they do - go Apple.
    And as for Pre ceasing to exist in 2012 - that's pretty certain. A followup should have hit the market by then.
    I bought the Pre for a few reasons. First I'm a gadget junkie. I upgrade phones like every 6 months. Always have to have the latest and greatest. Secondly I listened to all the hype surrounding the Pre (big mistake) instead of waiting and doing a thorough investigation of the device. Thirdly after playing around with it before it's release date I actually liked the ease and feel of WebOS and still do. But I wrongly assumed that the basic features that are present on other phones and Palm devices alike would be present on the Pre (hugh mistake). For example, say you buy a new car. You would assume that it comes with a radio, heat and dome-light. Like every other car on the market and all the other cars made by that manufacture, only to find out that these things aren't included because it's a "new" car. An assumption, but one that really shouldn't be because every other car has these features. Same thing with the Pre. Do I like the ease and feel of WebOS? Yes I love it! Do I appreciate being a guinea pig for Palm so they can raise their stock prices? No! Will I drop another $300 + on another Palm device? Heck no! Especially when there are numerous phones on the market that can do what the Pre can do plus a slew more things. The whole multi tasking claim to fame is also starting to where thin. Listening to Pandora while navigating is useless and unimpressive to me. Meanwhile Android is starting to really catch steam. WinMo 7 is around the corner (Thank God) and Apple is still chugging along.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bag of Leaves View Post
    I like syncing my Pre with iTunes, so I am glad Palm has not given up on it. While I haven't changed the music on my Pre since first getting it, someday I might so I will want it synced with my iTunes.

I haven't had issues with iTunes. And I love that I can get frequent flyer miles buying my music on iTunes, too.
    Thanks for your post, and the calm measured way you responded!

I don't download music at all, but understand there are folks like you that do, and am glad to see Palm has attempted to accommodate you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast