1.    #1  
    It would be great to see NFL games on a tv or lcd screen
    No, but if you have a TV, why not watch it on there, with no lag?
  3.    #3  
    my teams arent playing in my area. at least i can watch colts live on justin via pc
    I'd really like to be able to do this someday. When the slingplayer app lands, I'd like to be able to connect my Pre to the AV inputs on the DVD player in our van so we can watch live TV while traveling. I'd also like to connect the Pre to the AV inputs on a TV so we can watch college gameday or other games while tailgating.

In the meantime, I'm preparing to test using mytether and a jailbroken iTouch (or nephew's iFon).
    The pre doesn't have the proper hardware to do tv-out or video-out.
  6. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    I connect my Pre to the refrigerator... ie. touchstone back to a small magnet.

xtn
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    If you recall way back when Palm announced the Pre, they had the Pre attached with video-out to large screens so they could demo the device. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $those$ $were$ $specially$ $modded$ $Pres$ $that$ $Palm$ $had$, $but$ $I$ $would$ $like$ $to$ $see$ $a$ $software$ $solution$ $for$ $this$ $some$ $time$ $in$ $in$ $the$ $future$ $where$ $the$ $microusb$ $could$ $be$ $attached$ $to$ $a$ $pc$ $for$ $at$ $least$ $video$ $output$. $This$ $would$ $be$ $valuable$ $for$ $presentations$ $etc$....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    It would be great to see NFL games on a tv or lcd screen
    Yes those display units mentioned previously are made specifically to broadcast on large screen or projectors, but no one has mentioned the possibility of using Remote Desktop like VNC and rebroadcasting and controlling a Pre from another interface.

I know for a fact that someone has made VNC Server for Linux and WebOS sits on top of Linux (sorta...). So how far fetched would it be to use the Pre as a VNC Server to pipe video, images or otherwise to a larger screen?

To be honest, I have no clue how I or anyone would do this, but it is pretty obvious to me that WebOS multitasks and running processes in the background are possible with the right programming.

Why would you want to do this:

1. Presentations - images, PowerPoint, slides, video, or otherwise
    2. Programming and viewing native apps on a larger screen
    3. I'm pretty sure projectors now have VNC or Remote Desktop clients built-in for native Server communication
    4. Why does the ipod/itouch/iphone all allow connection with larger interfaces...because someone wanted the ability to playback audio, video or otherwise from their units on a larger screen

I can see using this and as more options come available with audio, video or otherwise...the more important this will come. Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Yes those display units mentioned previously are made specifically to broadcast on large screen or projectors, but no one has mentioned the possibility of using Remote Desktop like VNC and rebroadcasting and controlling a Pre from another interface.

I know for a fact that someone has made VNC Server for Linux and WebOS sits on top of Linux (sorta...). So how far fetched would it be to use the Pre as a VNC Server to pipe video, images or otherwise to a larger screen?

To be honest, I have no clue how I or anyone would do this, but it is pretty obvious to me that WebOS multitasks and running processes in the background are possible with the right programming.

Why would you want to do this:

1. Presentations - images, PowerPoint, slides, video, or otherwise
    2. Programming and viewing native apps on a larger screen
    3. I'm pretty sure projectors now have VNC or Remote Desktop clients built-in for native Server communication
    4. Why does the ipod/itouch/iphone all allow connection with larger interfaces...because someone wanted the ability to playback audio, video or otherwise from their units on a larger screen

I can see using this and as more options come available with audio, video or otherwise...the more important this will come. Sorli...
    and watch a game at 320x480? thats lower res than standard definition.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Watch Live Sports, Football, NFL, NHL, NBA, EPL

Watch live football from your PC over the inet
    Good link and some of them work...but not all (like most things and broadcasts on the internet).

I happen to be one of the many who has gotten rid of TV/Cable and rely on the internet for most all TV and Movie broadcasts. If it were my choice, I personally would like to have Cable brought into my home via the internet live and allow us to decide what we watch and don't watch in real time. Much of this can be done with Hulu, NBC, or otherwise, but we will always have limitations when providers are getting paid thrice (by advertisers, consumers paying for cable, and finally consumers forced to watch commercials) for the same service.

The cable industry actually had the nerve to say a few years ago that consumers were stealing from them when we don't watch commercials. Anyone wonder why we dropped cable and the $52 fee every month. Either way, thanks for the link. Sorli...
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Agreed, and I watch just enough TV to know what I like to watch [Rescue Me, NFL, Adult Swim, CNN occasionally] Then download them via torrents and watch them at my convenience, commercial free.

We have options today. That's great! don't need to get ripped off my ATT and Comcast
    I could easily see the appeal of having a Video Out option..

While traveling, I can hook up my ipod to any hotel TV with an RCA input (with a 3.5 to RCA cable I carried) and watch movies and TV shows on there. This is esp. great when traveling internationally.

Would LOVE to be able to do this with the Pre. Bring it!!
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Good link and some of them work...but not all (like most things and broadcasts on the internet).

I happen to be one of the many who has gotten rid of TV/Cable and rely on the internet for most all TV and Movie broadcasts. If it were my choice, I personally would like to have Cable brought into my home via the internet live and allow us to decide what we watch and don't watch in real time. Much of this can be done with Hulu, NBC, or otherwise, but we will always have limitations when providers are getting paid thrice (by advertisers, consumers paying for cable, and finally consumers forced to watch commercials) for the same service.
    Not that I'm for cable or high cable prices, but your argument for them getting paid 3 times is a little ridiculous.

The only people that pay cable companies are consumers.

Advertisers pay networks. Not cable companies. And us watching advertisements really doesn't have anything to do with the cable company.
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    Technically, the Pre's OMAP3430 processor has silicon and pins for S-Video out and an additional XVGA LCD. I'd bet $20 that these pins are brought out to test points or even a header on the circuit board, and enabling either video-out device is just a matter of changing a few configuration files under Linux.

None of this is readily available to the user, though.

I wonder when an adventurous hardware hacker will get around to adding this mod. Ben Heck, you reading this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubal View Post
    Not that I'm for cable or high cable prices, but your argument for them getting paid 3 times is a little ridiculous.

The only people that pay cable companies are consumers.

Advertisers pay networks. Not cable companies. And us watching advertisements really doesn't have anything to do with the cable company.
    Sorry, you are completely incorrect.

Cable companies derive enormous revenue from advertising - for many channels, ad revenue from local/regional inserts far exceeds that generated by subscribers.

According to the NCTA, during 2008, US cable companies posted a total net revenue of $86.3 billion, $26.6 billion of which was from advertising sales.

According to NAB, during the same period, the total ad revenue reported by all major networks was just shy of $25 billion.

This means that cable ad revenue EXCEEDS that of network ad revenue. When syndication is taken into account, they tie.

Where were your numbers coming from? Do you use the same source to make your political decisions?
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    This video out feature will no doubt be a big part of the future. (and possibly within 5 years)

As the power of smartphones increases to the power of todays desktops, and terrabytes of mini sd storage....imagine the possibilities of a wireless video out connected to a large screen HD monitor or screen.

Basically you could have full desktop power in an incredibly portable package....simply hook in via wireless hdmi connection (or whatever they call it) whenever you need a big screen at home or work...but carry in your pocket the core of your pc needs...

When the Palm Pre 7 has the power to run an app. like Adobe Cs 8 Production Premium...then we'll be talking!

I guess eventually it will all be cloud based...nothing stored locally at all....but it is going to take a while before one can conduct full HD video editing via your mobile!

But yes...video out...bring it on...it isn't such a far fetched request these days at all!
    By the time the Pre 7 arrives, if I can't have my smartphone tattooed to my arm using smart ink, I'm taking my marbles and going home a sad nerd.