Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Other things I learnt from my visit to my local O2 shop:

My man had his training day last Wednesday and then he had the phone home overnight.

He like the phone, especially the screen. He thought it was slower than the iPhone at starting apps, but then pointed out that you would leave your most used apps open most of the time, so this speed issue was not an issue.

He is expecting 3 demo units in store on Friday, plus a stock to sell. They don't expect a rush like the iPhone, but he had had quite a few people coming into store to ask about it.

They will be selling the Touch Stone and phone back cover at a discounted price on launch day.

They will need to set up your phone in store, which may take about half an hour or more.

I rang Orange to get my PAC number. The Customer "Retention" man tried to talk me out of it. He pointed out that the Treo 600 & 650 were rubbish phones and the Pre looks very plastic. Would he have said all that if Orange had won the exclusive deal for the Pre I wonder He really wanted me to have a free HTC phone instead.

I went into Phone4U as well. They had a training day last Friday. No real prices, except it would be the same tariff as the iPhone. They could not deal with business customers.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    http://www.o2.co.uk/palmpre/paymonthly

shows the prices , its the same for the iphone.
    i really want to play with the device before buying it.....
    according to the folks over in germany ppl should play with the keyboard first to see if they like it......

I asked 02 if i could return the phone if i wasnt happy, and they said yes (terms and conditions blah blah blah)....
    Last edited by palandri; 10/11/2009 at 07:51 AM.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Me too - I won't buy something before even at least a token "hands on" demonstration.

Plus there's the whole "I kinda want one on another network" issue too.

Just out of interest, I wonder if Orange rubbished the iPhone 3G as the original was not brilliant. Or something, heh.
    I want to, but my contract doesn't end for another 6 months. Think I'll have to buy it outright if they'll let me.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Sadly I'm not going to hold my breath for a PAYG option, although I'm cautiously optimistic I'll see this before Christmas...
    Guys, if anyone is going to an O2 shop, can you help a dutchman out and ask some questions for me?

- Is it possible to buy the phone WITHOUT contract and SIMLOCKFREE?
    - Does it work on other networks than O2? I've read here somewhere that there is another lock in place besides the simlock?
    - How much will it cost when bought without contract and simlockfree?

Thanks in advance!
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
    Guys, if anyone is going to an O2 shop, can you help a dutchman out and ask some questions for me?

- Does it work on other networks than O2? I've read here somewhere that there is another lock in place besides the simlock?

Thanks in advance!
    Try reading post #26 ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramon View Post

Thanks in advance!
    None of these questions can be answered yet - not even the O2 staff know the details, let alone us. Logically, I imagine that you will be able to buy the phone without a contract - but not unlocked. Meaning you might be able to transfer your existing contract with O2 to a Palm Pre. There's certainly no talk of Pay As You Go yet. Nor pricing.
    I think Palm is only going to hurt themselves with these exclusive deals.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I think Palm is only going to hurt themselves with these exclusive deals.
    i think whats worse is that there are adverts, no display models, nothing.........there is no info about the phone, just prices :S

most, like me, will just have to play with it on the day, its too much of a risk to buy without trying as you'll be stuck with it for 18months minimum
  11. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Am I the only one the finds it strange that no third party sites (phines4U, Carphone warehouse, Mobiles.co.uk etc) dont even list the phone for sale yet?
    I thought they'd all have them up by now!
    Quote Originally Posted by ldj View Post
    Am I the only one the finds it strange that no third party sites (phines4U, Carphone warehouse, Mobiles.co.uk etc) dont even list the phone for sale yet?
    yeah its werid, but you im having second thought about this device now :S

after all its THE SAME as the iphone in terms of pricing, and according to reviews so far (from the UK) it feels cheap, which makes me think it might break, and whats the point of having a phone that will break before the contract is up! :S

also orange sent me an email saying the iphone is only a few days away!
    palm or o2 havent sent me a thing about the pre!

might wait for the pre2, as its just too expensive to take a risk :S

just need to check if the iphone does hotmail push email
  13. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    As someone who owns an iPod Touch, I *know* I could never live with an iPhone. Not in a million years! Horrible device to use on a daily basis IMO.
    Itll have 12months warranty so that doesnt worry me.
    As for the Pre2, that hasnt been even announced stateside yet, so youll have a loooong wait in the UK. Im definitely getting one Friday, I just think Palm & O2 are offering an odd and low key launch...

Quote Originally Posted by peabrain View Post
    yeah its werid, but you im having second thought about this device now :S

after all its THE SAME as the iphone in terms of pricing, and according to reviews so far (from the UK) it feels cheap, which makes me think it might break, and whats the point of having a phone that will break before the contract is up! :S

also orange sent me an email saying the iphone is only a few days away!
    palm or o2 havent sent me a thing about the pre!

might wait for the pre2, as its just too expensive to take a risk :S

just need to check if the iphone does hotmail push email
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    The moral of the story... Play with it first.

My Nokia E71 has a reputation for being well built. Metal case, removable back, keyboard. When my iPhone-packing friends use it, they notice a *tiny* movement in the battery door and equate this to "poorly built."

I don't notice the battery door movement. We're talking part of a millimeter. Subtle. That's the price to pay for being able to replace the battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by ldj View Post
    Expansys does list Pre, however w/o pricing and for pre-order only.

Pegass
    Not really seeing mass advertisement for the Palm Pre. None of my friends/work colleagues know anything about it apart from what I'm preaching on about it.

And the more annoying thing is, O2 aren't allowing early upgrades to the device. So it does seem that the only way to upgrade early is to terminate your account and then open a new account. Ridiculous. I'm happy to pay the money to finish my current iphone contract and then upgrade. Phooey. Looks like I'm going to be rather glum on friday.
    And the more annoying thing is - I can upgrade early to the iPhone 3GS. What a load of crock. Bah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wuzz View Post
    And the more annoying thing is - I can upgrade early to the iPhone 3GS. What a load of crock. Bah.
    i think they just dont really care about the phone :S

also have you noticed the prices they are paying for this in europe?

its 20 EUROS! thats right 20 EUROS which is less than 20 a month for this phone!
    the lowest we can get it for is 30 (excluding the 100 upfront!)
    rip off!
    have you noticed the prices they are paying for this in europe?
    and where do people us ? Not Europe? ;-)

thats right 20 EUROS which is less than 20 a month for this phone!
    the lowest we can get it for is 30 (excluding the 100 upfront!)
    rip off!
    This isn't so beautiful. 20 a month is just a phone. Just a brick. Since still some ppl use those for calling, there should be voice plan for that and maybe a net package as well. And then you end up paying 50 for Pre once and then 30 - 45 monthly plus what's above plans/flatrates.

Pegass
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Given these ridiculous prices, our only hope is that the prices drop, and quickly, like they have in the States.

Sales won't be high given the zero advertising, so hopefully O2 bring the prices down.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast