Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I've been pretty disappointed with the build up to the UK launch. My work involves a lot of travel around Scotland and there has been little in the way of information or adverstising in the various O2 stores I have passed and visited. As I mentioned previously even the staff know little about the product beyond what the launch date is. It has not been an impressive showing from Palm and O2.
    From those mythical lands beyond the great USA...

It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
    I just rang my local O2 store and asked about Pre-orders or getting my name down on a list for a Pre. The manager informed me that there is no list and it's first come first served, but he did say to call on Thursday and check stock levels with them. I'll aim to get down there first thing.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I don't think they'll have the stock to get away with a massive advertising campaign.

I will call past the O2 store here in Dundee the night before to check their inventory level, though - that's a good idea, leowyatt.
    Quote Originally Posted by leowyatt View Post
    I just rang my local O2 store and asked about Pre-orders or getting my name down on a list for a Pre. The manager informed me that there is no list and it's first come first served, but he did say to call on Thursday and check stock levels with them. I'll aim to get down there first thing.
    Sounds like a good plan. I currently live in the Leeds area and the city centre store has a table with 5 Palm pre device cradles. The store tells me they are getting their display stock this weekend. I have been advised to arrive on the launch day morning as they are expecting around 100 phones to be available to buy on the day. Does not seem much??

Also agree there has not been huge advertising on the Pre. Palm wonder why they have not had much success in Europe, and why then dont they put these adverts out like they did with the Iphone
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    I don't think they'll have the stock to get away with a massive advertising campaign.

I will call past the O2 store here in Dundee the night before to check their inventory level, though - that's a good idea, leowyatt.
    Let me know what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by wardie View Post
    Also agree there has not been huge advertising on the Pre. Palm wonder why they have not had much success in Europe, and why then dont they put these adverts out like they did with the Iphone
    I cannot see the Pre being a success in Europe for a number of reasons. The main one is Palm waited too long between CES and European launch. A few other key issues are:

• Old firmware equals old problems out of the box
    • The target market is looking to leave O2 in droves in order to use the iPhone on rival networks
    • Telefónica limits the overall availabilty of the Pre in Europe
    • No app store
    • Hacking required to activate basic functionality
    • Suspect build quality
    • Minimal marketing

The average consumer is going to be turned off by all of that particularly when you consider what rival companies already have in the market or are about to release. Palm had the chance to take Synergy, multitasking and webOS and run with it but the delay, notably in Europe, has allowed their rivals to catch up. Even rival operators are in on the act like the recent announcement of Vodafone 360.

I will still be getting a Pre but Palm are going to need to up their game over the course of the device and particularly for any future releases.
    From those mythical lands beyond the great USA...

It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Called O2 UK earlier. The customer services advisor informed me they know nothing about the Pre, its features, its selling points, or its availability. They told me to call my local branch as the staff will have undergone training for the phone... who will be able to answer any questions I have.

...just got off the phone to my local O2 store in London.

They have already got the store set up to house the phones when they arrive (stands, posters, etc). This is the only marketing (if you can call it that) I've seen/heard of, of the Pre at all

She was hopeful they will arrive on the 16th but didn't sound convincing . From what I gather, the actual in store employees know VERY LITTLE about the phone itself.

Though she did confirm, no pre-orders. Have to wait until 16th.

She confirmed they will not be selling the Pre in unlocked or sim free form, due to its exclusivity to O2.
    Tell you what this UK launch is a worry. I am so looking forward to getting ny hands on a Palm Pre, but when you tell work colleagues and friends about the phone. You get a " what phone is that?"
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Palm were pretty cautious about the American launch as well - they don't have Cupertino's budget for advertising, and they may not have a massive stock of phones for the European launch. It makes sense to me to have a small initial release that means the phone goes to the most enthusiastic, and allow sales to build more slowly through word of mouth, so that stock levels are more manageable.
  9. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    If I were to show anyone I know any palm device theyd almost certainly reply with "whats that?" as Palm are so low key here they are a nothing brand.
    I think with the Pre, and more broadly WebOS, the long term plan is to change that
    just been in my local store near Liverpool St, London. Have no pre's, know nothing except they did say it was likely they would not be in the store for launch day.

This is a complete shambles. Definately sticking with my Treo for now.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by becs View Post
    Have no pre's, know nothing except they did say it was likely they would not be in the store for launch day.
    That's a bit concerning. Going to call my local store and see what they say.
    Was in my local store today and they had a Pre display ready....but no actuall Pres on it yet though. I spoke to one of the advisors and he said they will get their delivery at around 3/4pm on the Thursday 15th, Pres and Accessories. It sounds like we will have to wait until the 16th to have an actuall shot of a real phone.

I also picked up their monthly brochure, the touchstone is £39.13 and you have to pay another £14.67 for the compatible back cover ....what a rip off!! You can get a touchstone with back cover for $49.99 with free shipping on amazon.com which works out at £31.45 so we in the UK have to pay almost £25 more!! Can UK customers order from amazon.com?? If not I think I might try and bag one for free when I am upgrading next Friday, we will see what happens.

Also why is there such a quiet launch? Manchester and London are getting a Pre Lauch party, why no where else? O2 pre launch prize draw
    To get a Pre I've got to change from Orange to O2.

I've been investigating the O2 website tariffs, but have a few questions for which I can't find the answers. Please post any answers you know

1) I assume the normal Pay Monthly prices include VAT, and the business tariffs do not include VAT?

2) The business "Smartphone Bolt On" package. I assume this is free landline calls to 10 numbers you specify?

3) 24hr replacement handsets. This covers breakdowns, but you have to pay an additional insurance fee for accidental damage cover?

4) Unlimited data fair usage limit. What is the actual limit, does anyone actually hit it with normal useage?

5) Is the retrieval of answer phone messages free, or does it use up your plan minutes?

6) Does the business package have any additional advantages over a personal monthly plan?

Sorry for all the questions, but it helps to know as much as possible before you try and negotiate extra minutes etc 'in shop'.

So I suppose I should add:

7) Is there scope in shop or on phone with O2 to negotiate 'extras', and if so do you have any tips.

Cheers
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Really want one on launch but simfree/unlocked. Is it definitely unavailable in this form? Do we have any O2 insiders here?
    As has been said, O2 locked the iPhone. My local store couldn't confirm with the Pre either way, but would be surprised if it wasn't locked to O2.

That kinda puts me off...
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Really want one on launch but simfree/unlocked. Is it definitely unavailable in this form? Do we have any O2 insiders here?
    As has been said, O2 locked the iPhone. My local store couldn't confirm with the Pre either way, but would be surprised if it wasn't locked to O2.

Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DervMan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by c_man;

Yes, I know, I later answered my own question:

Quote Originally Posted by c_man View Post
    She confirmed they will not be selling the Pre in unlocked or sim free form, due to its exclusivity to O2.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    To get a Pre I've got to change from Orange to O2.
    Me too but I still have 5 months to run with Orange

4) Unlimited data fair usage limit. What is the actual limit, does anyone actually hit it with normal useage?
    Ask anyone with an iPhone? as their tariff will run on the same policy. I have not heard from anyone re: difficulties with O2's unlimited data fair usage limit
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I'm with T-Mobile until April. At home, T-Mobile and Orange have the best signal.

A little bit academic for data thanks to Wifi, unless I wait and go down the Pixi route.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    That's a bit concerning. Going to call my local store and see what they say.
    Called them, and while the guy refused to say exactly when the delivery would be or how many phones they'd have, he was certain that they'd have stock on launch day.
    I went into my local O2 shop yesterday, so here are some of the answers I got to my questions:

1) I assume the normal Pay Monthly prices include VAT, and the business tariffs do not include VAT?
    The business tariff does not include VAT

2) The business "Smartphone Bolt On" package. I assume this is free landline calls to 10 numbers you specify?
    Yes, plus the 24hr handset replacement.
    But the big plus is that if you sign up for the 24 month plan you can upgrade your handset after 12 months, which should be about right for any new WebOS unit in the UK ?

3) 24hr replacement handsets. This covers breakdowns, but you have to pay an additional insurance fee for accidental damage cover?
    Yes, about £7 per month.

7) Is there scope in shop or on phone with O2 to negotiate 'extras', and if so do you have any tips.
    Don't think so, but I'll try anyway
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast