Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 201
  1. gage006's Avatar
    Posts
    543 Posts
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post
    itunes doesn't have DRM.
    Actually it does. It all depends on what you buy. A good portion of it still does.
  2. Adjei's Avatar
    Posts
    277 Posts
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    Your analogies prove that you have absolutely no understanding of what is going on. Nobody has said that Apple should do ANYTHING to support the Pre. In fact, they go out of their way to NOT support it.

    This is a more appropriate analogy: Apple made the iPod/iTunes work with Windows. Imagine if Microsoft blocked iPod drivers and iTunes software from working with Windows. I wonder how you would feel about that? Because that's what Apple is doing to Palm. And you say Palm are the ones who look foolish...
    Nonsense, if all those devices were using itunes and they all got bricked, who would be blamed? Apple will have to take the blame instead of companies like Palm. So of course they have to support it, do some of you even think before you post.
  3. Adjei's Avatar
    Posts
    277 Posts
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by cbulock View Post
    I think the answer to why they don't create their own program... cause iTunes is already on many peoples computers. Why create an app that does the exact same thing that iTunes does when they can just use the existing software. Palm doesn't force you to use iTunes, its just another option.
    Yeah I wonder why RIM created their own software when itunes is already there. They should have just hacked into itunes, that would be the ideal solution.
  4. Adjei's Avatar
    Posts
    277 Posts
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by gage006 View Post
    Actually it does. It all depends on what you buy. A good portion of it still does.
    The songs don't which is what most Pre owners are using. I guess Palm also wants their users to have access to the apps too. After all the apps store is the biggest out there, therefore Apple should be forced to allow every phone to use them.
  5. gage006's Avatar
    Posts
    543 Posts
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post
    The songs don't which is what most Pre owners are using. I guess Palm also wants their users to have access to the apps too. After all the apps store is the biggest out there, therefore Apple should be forced to allow every phone to use them.
    Yes they do. Not all songs are DRM free on there. Especially when you purchase them under the new LP package.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    Your analogies prove that you have absolutely no understanding of what is going on. Nobody has said that Apple should do ANYTHING to support the Pre. In fact, they go out of their way to NOT support it.

    This is a more appropriate analogy: Apple made the iPod/iTunes work with Windows. Imagine if Microsoft blocked iPod drivers and iTunes software from working with Windows. I wonder how you would feel about that? Because that's what Apple is doing to Palm. And you say Palm are the ones who look foolish...
    Boy...talk about clueless. Wow. Apple blocks nothing. They provide an easy means for any company to access iTunes libraries and playlists. That is sync. Period.

    They're "blocking" Palm because they won't let Palm do it in any manner Palm chooses? Maybe Palm can enable reskinning so when you sync, iTunes will list itself as PalmTunes. I mean, if they can spoof IDs, why not that?
  7. #47  
    Bottom line is Palm doesn't do it, because they don't want to at this juncture. It's more advantageous to be a nuisance and get free publicity. I have no problem with that.

    In addition, everyone knows of the back & forth game so if they use iTunes for sync, they should make sure iTunes isn't set for automatic update. Also people should have located alternate sync software for when the game ends (i.e. sharepod or even music remix).

    We're all just posting, because we like the back& forth and the interaction with each other. It's not personal, we're not Palm lovers and most of us aren't Apple lovers. Most of us are simply consumers voicing our opinion. Some of us (Pre owners) are more correct than others, but it's okay for the rest of you to post and give us something to laugh about.
  8. #48  
    Well, it sure beats 101 posts asking "Where is the AppStore? Wasn't it suppose to be here like... yesterday?!"

    Like I've said before, they could have put the iTunes trick in last update... Very smart for Palm to throw in a quicky update after missing another whisper date and give people to talk about and give them some time.

    They got a lot of work to do and honestly... the itunes game wont matter if they dont take care of the more important stuff very soon.

    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    We're all just posting, because we like the back& forth and the interaction with each other. It's not personal, we're not Palm lovers and most of us aren't Apple lovers. Most of us are simply consumers voicing our opinion. Some of us (Pre owners) are more correct than others, but it's okay for the rest of you to post and give us something to laugh about.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Well, it sure beats 101 posts asking "Where is the AppStore? Wasn't it suppose to be here like... yesterday?!"

    Like I've said before, they could have put the iTunes trick in last update... Very smart for Palm to throw in a quicky update after missing another whisper date and give people to talk about and give them some time.

    They got a lot of work to do and honestly... the itunes game wont matter if they dont take care of the more important stuff very soon.
    yes, this iTunes update was a good distraction for Palm. They bought themselves yet another week before people start asking for all the apps developers in their early access program have been working on since Q1.

    That said, I think they decided to take a minor step back so that their new hires (Ben Galbraith & Dion Almaer) can have some say on how things get done going forward.
  10. xtn
    xtn is offline
    xtn's Avatar
    Posts
    434 Posts
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    #50  
    I'm confused a bit.

    So if Apple provides an API for any other manufufacturer to sync and get music... and if logically speaking they would be happy to let Palm use that API and sync via some special software... then why does Apple even CARE that Palm is doing the same thing, but by a different method?

    Seems to me they only care because it's pie in their eye, so to speak.

    xtn
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    ...
    All of a sudden, a competitor comes along and hacks its way into using your sync program in the same manner. That advantage you have to sell your mp3 player is gone.
    ...
    Bad analogy. You know very well that Palm didn't touch the syncing software.
  12. #52  
    added... I find that reading this with a southern twang make the story sound real purty

    Bob is a friend of mine. If Bob wants to visit, he can come over anytime and knock on my front door where their is a "Welcome" mat awaiting to greet him.

    But Bob decides he doesn't want to come through the front door. He decided to come in unannounced through the side. No one comes in through the side. We don't want anyone coming in through the side. I'll lock that door and ask him to come in through the front next time.

    Bob comes over the next time and darn it he tries to come in through the side again. My daughter runs to me and says a guys knocking at the side door saying he's my brother Joe but it's not and trying to force his way in.

    Now I thought that Bob was my friend. But why does he insist in coming in from the side and now does so by lying and saying he's family.

    What do YOU do if someone is trying to gain access to your house in such a way? If you want to come visit my house, then like any good neighbor, you come through the front door to the Welcome mat awaiting you.

    I dunno why people are so stupid but damn if I am going to let someone force themselves into my house.

    Sorry Bob (click, Bang!)... you're dead.

    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    I'm confused a bit.

    So if Apple provides an API for any other manufufacturer to sync and get music... and if logically speaking they would be happy to let Palm use that API and sync via some special software... then why does Apple even CARE that Palm is doing the same thing, but by a different method?

    Seems to me they only care because it's pie in their eye, so to speak.

    xtn
    Last edited by donm527; 10/04/2009 at 07:08 PM.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dayvidpriddy View Post
    Hey all I'm saying is that Palm should have included software with the phone to sync media, I have a Palm I want to use Palm software, not Apples. There should be no charge for it as it should be a part of the phones package.
    ...
    No software is needed. You can simply copy the files from your PC. All Palm did was make the Pre compatible with a popular existing piece of software. I doubt that anyone that wasn't using iTunes previous to owning a Pre is suddenly going to download it. The hack was for the existing iPhone users.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    ...
    Here's what's stupid. Palm DID have it's own sync solution with Palm Desktop. Just like with PIM and Touchscreen, Palm was already a pioneer in this field but when it came time to rebooting their OS direction then instead of advancing the software to fit in with the times they killed it. Palm Desktop not only would have been the desktop sync solution many of us wanted as an option, but it would also be the easy way to browse/buy apps and manage media.
    ...
    I don't believe that the Palm Desktop software did anything to sync music. It's a moot point besides, the software was written for a different phone OS, and would have had to have been completely rewritten from the ground up.
  15. #55  
    I think what you see on this forum isn't Palm ******* as much as people who have been bitten by the Apple (as Apple customers) and people who haven't been bitten by Palm.

    Palm may have rested on their laurels instead of circling the wagons and coming up with new, innovative,smartphone, before RIM and iPhone took the the reigns, but they didn't bite their loyal customers on purpose.

    In fact, one of the first partners Palm got was Classic in order to let customers slowly transition to the new device. Before checking out the new WebOS, I would have thought that another system couldn't top what I already had with PalmOS. They could just be faster and prettier. WebOS has been delightfully surprised by how wrong I was.

    On the other hand, Apple has changed it's software against their own product and customer. Apple changed it's chips so that loyal customers have to buy new accessories as well as new devices, and changed their strategy (one day embrace google voice, next day dump google voice).

    There are some that are young enough to have not been bitten a few times, by Apple; others who just want to be on the cutting edge; and others who simply aren't okay with Apple. Others who no longer trust Apple and are okay with someone poking a stick at them.

    I didn't buy my Pre, because it could sync with iTunes. I use Podcasts which I get through DrPodder. Pandora meets my Music needs and Music Remix allows me to create playlists and back them up.

    My iPod was never a music device. I used it for news podcasts and audio books. Audio books were downloaded directly to my Treo, but I previously dragged my Podcasts to my iPod. Now my iPod is a library of stuff I don't bother to dump and I leaving by the bedside so it can read me to sleep (audio books are wonderful).

    But my Pre is always with me and by my side. I never leave home w/o it.
  16. Adjei's Avatar
    Posts
    277 Posts
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    I think what you see on this forum isn't Palm ******* as much as people who have been bitten by the Apple (as Apple customers) and people who haven't been bitten by Palm.

    Palm may have rested on their laurels instead of circling the wagons and coming up with new, innovative,smartphone, before RIM and iPhone took the the reigns, but they didn't bite their loyal customers on purpose.

    In fact, one of the first partners Palm got was Classic in order to let customers slowly transition to the new device. Before checking out the new WebOS, I would have thought that another system couldn't top what I already had with PalmOS. They could just be faster and prettier. WebOS has been delightfully surprised by how wrong I was.

    On the other hand, Apple has changed it's software against their own product and customer. Apple changed it's chips so that loyal customers have to buy new accessories as well as new devices, and changed their strategy (one day embrace google voice, next day dump google voice).

    There are some that are young enough to have not been bitten a few times, by Apple; others who just want to be on the cutting edge; and others who simply aren't okay with Apple. Others who no longer trust Apple and are okay with someone poking a stick at them.

    I didn't buy my Pre, because it could sync with iTunes. I use Podcasts which I get through DrPodder. Pandora meets my Music needs and Music Remix allows me to create playlists and back them up.

    My iPod was never a music device. I used it for news podcasts and audio books. Audio books were downloaded directly to my Treo, but I previously dragged my Podcasts to my iPod. Now my iPod is a library of stuff I don't bother to dump and I leaving by the bedside so it can read me to sleep (audio books are wonderful).

    But my Pre is always with me and by my side. I never leave home w/o it.
    Keep deluding yourself into believing that Palm is your friend instead of a corporation out to get your money.
  17. #57  
    So today I decided to give iTunes another chance with syncing. Music app doesn't recognize m3u playlists reliably. If Palm deserves criticism in this whole iTunes affair it is that relying on iTunes lets it neglect alternative media management. We basically have to use iTunes.

    Anyway, I updated to iTunes 9.0.1, updated webOS to 1.2.1, and checked out what's new with iTunes. I let it create Genius mixes, and saved them as playlists. Then synced all to the Pre and it worked perfectly. All playlists are present and as an added bonus, it seems that album artworks sync reliably and load much faster this way.

    I don't care what Apple thinks about this. All I see everywhere is "Works with iPhone" this and "iPhone App" that. Web businesses are creating iPhone apps instead of mobile sites. This is not progress, it means less choice.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  18. Adjei's Avatar
    Posts
    277 Posts
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    So today I decided to give iTunes another chance with syncing. Music app doesn't recognize m3u playlists reliably. If Palm deserves criticism in this whole iTunes affair it is that relying on iTunes lets it neglect alternative media management. We basically have to use iTunes.

    Anyway, I updated to iTunes 9.0.1, updated webOS to 1.2.1, and checked out what's new with iTunes. I let it create Genius mixes, and saved them as playlists. Then synced all to the Pre and it worked perfectly. All playlists are present and as an added bonus, it seems that album artworks sync reliably and load much faster this way.

    I don't care what Apple thinks about this. All I see everywhere is "Works with iPhone" this and "iPhone App" that. Web businesses are creating iPhone apps instead of mobile sites. This is not progress, it means less choice.
    Oh so it's Apple's fault that 3rd party web sites, and other apps are catering to the iphone. Apple must be holding a gun to their heads.
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by Adjei View Post
    Oh so it's Apple's fault that 3rd party web sites, and other apps are catering to the iphone. Apple must be holding a gun to their heads.
    What matters is that we have the choice to use something other than the iPhone.

    In the 90's and even now to some extent, Microsoft's dominance made it very hard to use anything other than Windows. Even now people are still talking about Mac marginalization, and Apple has done what it could to remain compatible with Windows without asking permission from Microsoft.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  20. #60  
    This article is a good summary of the risk Palm faces with their iTunes approach:

    http://hunter.pairsite.com/blogs/20091004/

    "...Clearly, other companies know how to sync painlessly with iTunes music (see RIM's Blackberry Media Sync for example), so why doesn't Palm develop a syncing solution for their own hardware? The exact reason is unknown, but my guess is that it's a combination of things. Perhaps Palm doesn't have the resources to develop their own sync app. Or maybe they want some publicity. Or maybe they just want to push Apple's buttons. Who really knows. But I seriously question the strategy and brains of any company that ties critical product capabilities to the unsupported use of their competitor's software. I mean, really? Can it get any more ridiculous? Can you possibly send a more mixed, less confidence-inspiring, "we're a bunch of hacks who can't provide our own sync software for our products" message to customers?...."
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions