1.    #1  
    I have to be missing something. There has to be an easier way to find a text from a friend a week ago other than flicking up, waiting to load, flicking up, waiting..

Are their any actually text searching functions other than the stupid one that just searches for peoples names?

Anyway we can possibly move the email search funtion to the chat so when im in a conversation with one of my friends, I can search for a keyword or possibly a text from weeks ago?

Thanks guys
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Nope. No search, copy/paste (except the entire thread), forward text in messaging.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    Nope. No search, copy/paste (except the entire thread), forward text in messaging.
    Well I got the forwarding patch installed so thats not an issue but I mean come on Palm.

In the age where people use the phone more for text email, I would figure there would be a better management of texting. 1 long list with no function is horrible. Huge turn off of this device.
    If we had to wait for palm to get everything working that every body wants before launch then we would be another year waiting.

If you didnt know the downfalls of the Pre before you bought it or within the 30 day free return. Then thats on you, Time to quit *****ing
    u should maintain your conversaitons list by dfeleting useless convos as you go
    you can also search for his/her name, press SMS and it brings up your convo.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    If we had to wait for palm to get everything working that every body wants before launch then we would be another year waiting.

If you didnt know the downfalls of the Pre before you bought it or within the 30 day free return. Then thats on you, Time to quit *****ing
    Yes this is why I proposed a function in the webos development with a donation incentive. Im sure Im not the only one who wanting this. Incredibly inefficient message handling system sucks

I love the device other than that.
    Okay. A huge step back from what other phones. I had other phones, but I didn't text nearly as much when I had them. I think the Pre makes texting so intuitive that you prefer text over talking.

That was never the case with my other phones, including the Treo. I know other people who had Blackberrys Qs and iPhones. Somehow the interface for Texting on Pre gets you to use it a lot more so you notice what you'd like it to have.

I never used it on the other phones or when I did, it ticked me off and I just wanted to get the reply over and done with.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    this is deffinately not a step back. I have never had a phone that does texting this well.

sure this may be a good addon, but its also something else I hardly ever use and just another waste of my limited hd space.
    whos saves all these texts?dont you erase them?what do you do?go back and read them from a week ago.give me a break!
    If you delete text conversations you will eventually end up getting the "missing text" glitch. This glitch was reported to Palm over 1 month before the last update, but they did not fix.
  12.    #12  
    You must not do a lot of texting but for someone like me I do. Sometimes I like to go back and reread an important message from my boss about a job. Unfortunately texting i becoming more and more of an important way of communication and sometimes people do get important texts.. imagine that. And if you want to double check something to reread, its impossible.

All you people think Im attacking the phone, I supposed I should change the title. This is one of my favorite phones of all time. Just wish it had a way to check previous conversations. I didnt think that was something out of this world to ask for.
    Quote Originally Posted by danno1769 View Post
    All you people think Im attacking the phone, I supposed I should change the title. This is one of my favorite phones of all time. Just wish it had a way to check previous conversations. I didnt think that was something out of this world to ask for.
    Its unfortunate a business productivity tool has also been adopted by toys by juveniles who take criticisms about a simple phone as personal attacks.

If you've ever visited xda-developers forum it's extremely mature and civil, but catered primarily towards WinMo devices... and the Pre, for all its flaws, just happens to be superior, and we have to live with this crowd.

If there was a pre message board with this content filtered by age I would pay for access
    Originally posted by danno1769:
    Actually I don't think you're attacking the phone and if you were it wouldn't be an issue for me. But the texting is not a step back from my previous phones and it's the first phone I actually text with on a regular basis.

So it's a huge step back from what and why not stay with that phone until the Pre's texting function is perfected to the point of what you want or develop a patch for what you want.

There's already a patch for text forwarding and I tried it, but found I really didn't have a need or any use for it so I deleted it. Maybe I'll give it another go and see what all the clamor is about.
    If you have a important text then take a screenshot of it.. LOL..
    I'm joking of course..
    But you do bring up a point in which I was wondering about.
    Maybe there should be a "save message to memo" patch.
    maybe it'd even be possible to save to calender?
    or maybe even just a symbol + tap message to c/p it so you can do as your heart desires?
    I'd find the last one pretty useful too.

But... to the op,
    Your title is a bit harsh.. Palm is fairly limited and the reason the os is as open as it is, is so that we can step to the plate and customize our phones as we see fit. (that and it saves them from having to make every friggin app/patch or dealing with a bunch of unsatisfied customers because you cant do EVERYTHING..)
    Last edited by 612mpls; 10/04/2009 at 07:53 AM. Reason: By palm I mean the dev team, as they have more important stuff.
    Actually, if you get a lot of important text, you should get a GVoice account and have important calls and messages come through there. That way you have a backup of all your messages that you can access through any PC and most phones (not iPhone).

It's great and you don't have to worry about losing your text or your text not backing up.