1.    #1  
    Ok, so here it goes. My son was taking a college visit to UTC Chatanooga last weekend and I saw a perfect opportunity to test out my Garmin vs Sprint Navigation, and added accuradio in the mix to see if it could handle the 9 hour drive (568 miles) from Orlando to Chattanooga without a problem. I have a car that has a place for a charger, a USB port and an Auxilliary port.

Right off of the bat there was a time difference of about a half an hour (not too bad). Accuradio and Sprint Nav came right up with no problems at all, as did my Garmin. The only problem was that my son listens to hard core heavy metal so we had to make a switch to 80's rock as a compromise. When we hit Atlanta during Friday Rush hour (miserable) Sprint Nav was the first to pop up alternate routes, but I wasn't that brave. But my Garmin also worked admirably showing the same exact alternate route.

Knowing that the center of Florida and some parts of Ga on I75 has spotty Sprint coverage, I was expecting an interruption with Sprints Navigation and I'm not to sure what EVDO really is, but even when there was no EVDO but 1x (whatever that is) Nav and accuradio worked flawlessly for 9 hours.

As we all may know, the rain and flooding that has been in the SE really made that long drive pretty miserable (along with the rush hour traffic in Atlanta), but I was pleasantly surprised that even in the rain I never once had to reset Navigation and not 1 problem with accuradio. My only concern was running a 3rd app (Dungeonquest, MMafia, Mvampire banking money and playing poker), I didnt run more than the 3 apps at the same time because the phone got pretty hot. But that was really my only concern.

Between my pre and Garmin the both worked great on the way there, and gave them both a tie, because Atlanta traffic messed up my experiment.

Now on the way back I did have trouble finding a signal for the Sprint Nav, but my Garmin came right up. In all fairness I was traveling at 70 mph when I attempted to find signal and just gave up, but accuradio and a later switch to Pandora worked great all of the way back with no signal problems.

All in all I was extremely happy with the way my pre performed and just though that I'd share what my pre CAN and Did do as opposed to all of the negative posts that emphasize what the pre cant do.

I'm not a pre "fan boy", but I do love my phone and am sick of non pre owners coming on here complaining about really minute things like,

"why is the new update here so soon, thats stupid" (1.2.1)
    "I want my paid apps now, not the itunes sync" (why are you in such a hurry to pay for apps when hombrew has plenty of great apps? Be patient they will come!

And so many more negative posts from people that don't even own pre's!!!

Again, Thanks Palm, thanks Sprint and thanks to all of you homebrew developers, I do look forward to paying for your apps, but until then I won't whine about it.
    nice story, thanks for sharing.
    My HTC Evo Is Great...
    thanks for taking the time to write up the review.
    I used mine on a trip from texas to kentucky, which is about a 15 hour drive. I used sprint navigation, and pandora the whole way.

Only had two problems. One was that i kept getting the "too many cards" notification. I ignored the notification, and everything kept working fine. The other problem i had, was that the car charger stopped charging the phone on my way back for some reason. I guess it got too hot, because i plugged it back in after a half hour and it continued to work for the rest of my trip.

I was quite happy with both sprint nav and pandora. They both worked seamlessly even though their were several stretches where the pre was roaming or had no signal.

EDIT: also thought i would mention that i also have a garmin gps (nuvi 105), and it gets "lost" sometimes, and starts freaking out, and telling me im traveling at 100+ mph. my pre with sprint nav never had that problem.

GarrettQ
    Last edited by GarrettQ; 10/03/2009 at 09:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by notaphonegeek View Post
    Ok, so here it goes. My son was taking a college visit to UTC Chatanooga last weekend and I saw a perfect opportunity to test out my Garmin vs Sprint Navigation, and added accuradio in the mix to see if it could handle the 9 hour drive (568 miles) from Orlando to Chattanooga without a problem. I have a car that has a place for a charger, a USB port and an Auxilliary port.

Right off of the bat there was a time difference of about a half an hour (not too bad). Accuradio and Sprint Nav came right up with no problems at all, as did my Garmin. The only problem was that my son listens to hard core heavy metal so we had to make a switch to 80's rock as a compromise. When we hit Atlanta during Friday Rush hour (miserable) Sprint Nav was the first to pop up alternate routes, but I wasn't that brave. But my Garmin also worked admirably showing the same exact alternate route.

Knowing that the center of Florida and some parts of Ga on I75 has spotty Sprint coverage, I was expecting an interruption with Sprints Navigation and I'm not to sure what EVDO really is, but even when there was no EVDO but 1x (whatever that is) Nav and accuradio worked flawlessly for 9 hours.

As we all may know, the rain and flooding that has been in the SE really made that long drive pretty miserable (along with the rush hour traffic in Atlanta), but I was pleasantly surprised that even in the rain I never once had to reset Navigation and not 1 problem with accuradio. My only concern was running a 3rd app (Dungeonquest, MMafia, Mvampire banking money and playing poker), I didnt run more than the 3 apps at the same time because the phone got pretty hot. But that was really my only concern.

Between my pre and Garmin the both worked great on the way there, and gave them both a tie, because Atlanta traffic messed up my experiment.

Now on the way back I did have trouble finding a signal for the Sprint Nav, but my Garmin came right up. In all fairness I was traveling at 70 mph when I attempted to find signal and just gave up, but accuradio and a later switch to Pandora worked great all of the way back with no signal problems.

All in all I was extremely happy with the way my pre performed and just though that I'd share what my pre CAN and Did do as opposed to all of the negative posts that emphasize what the pre cant do.
    Well... Let's see ... Uh... Umm........ Seems to me uh..... Atlanta traffic got mentioned quite a few times in ur post mister. Not picking a fight (just playin around); what's up with that construction on FLA Turnpike just north of Orlando that's been goin on for at LEAST 2 years now, just to throw some walls up on the sides of the highway. Huh? Do they ever plan on finishing that?
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    I really like sprint nav, I use it all the time. The only issue I've ran into was when I was out in the middle of nowhere. You need a data connection to plan a route.

Going to my destination I had no problem, I have a good EVDO connection at home. However coming back I couldn't connect (roaming signal only) and thus couldn't plot my return trip.

Needless to say that was a huge issue as I was lost in the hill country.

Just something to keep in mind.
  7.    #7  
    LOL, touché! Orlando is pretty bad too. But it all takes a backseat to my hometown of Washington DC with I66, I95 at the mixing bowl and several spots in DC itself like 16th and Pennsylvania Avenue or K st at about 5:30PM or 295 in SW. I must admit I was pretty impressed that Atlanta had something like 8 or 10 lanes in one direction at a certain point (though traffic was still bad). I did get to see Turner field for the first time while sitting in traffic
    Thanks for your story. Did you use the Pre's built in speaker or you connected it to your car's speakers thru BT?
    Quote Originally Posted by notaphonegeek View Post
    I've noticed this same phenomenon with the Pre not getting an initial fix if you are moving. (I've never used a real GPS, and Sprint Nav on the Pre is an added bonus for the few times that I'm driving to new places.)

Thanks for your review (which was interesting reading). Too bad your son would not compromise back to 70's rock. That would have totally made this story a great one!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Go Chattanooga!