Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Is there a way to set the ringtone for unknown callers? I went to sounds and notifications, but can't seem to find it anywhere. It seems like it should be standard. Am I missing something?
    I do miss that feature Hopefully it'll show up soon -- it's not a biggie for me, but it was one of those nice extras you grow accustomed to.
    That is one thing I miss about using YouMail - you could have it actually ignore unknown or blocked calls and then it would play a ditchmail message to actually keep the caller from leaving a message. This was really effective in getting rid of unwanted calls.

You can still use YouMail and do all that, but Sprint charges $0.20 per forwarded call which is the only way to use YouMail.
    If I help you out, why not "Thank" me? Or you can visit my site at http://outklaw.com
    As a recent transfer from Treo I'm looking to set a different ringtone for callers NOT in my address book. I see WebOS patches to send such callers directly to voicemail or hang up on them, but nothing to just uniquely identify them with a different ring. Surely, if we can "nuke" unknown callers, there is a way to just give them a unique ring (so I can choose to pick up from my bluetooth headset without pulling the phone from its pouch to visually inspect the caller ID.)
    although I haven't installed it myself, a Homebrew App called "TXT Manager" appears to offer this functionality.

I also enjoyed that feature on my last Palm phone, and have considered doing it for this one (I haven't yet because I haven't settled on a ringtone LOL) ... Has anyone tried this yet?

p.s. ---> I can't post the link because I don't have enough posts yet myself. sorry
    Quote Originally Posted by dhkeller View Post
    although I haven't installed it myself, a Homebrew App called "TXT Manager" appears to offer this functionality.
    TXT Manager addresses special tones for text messages. I want an App to set up a distinct ringtone for Phone Calls from anyone not listed in my Contacts.

But, Thanks for the input.
    Quote Originally Posted by kasl33 View Post
    That is one thing I miss about using YouMail - you could have it actually ignore unknown or blocked calls and then it would play a ditchmail message to actually keep the caller from leaving a message. This was really effective in getting rid of unwanted calls.

You can still use YouMail and do all that, but Sprint charges $0.20 per forwarded call which is the only way to use YouMail.
    Not sure how YouMail works with the call forwarding, but Sprint recently enabled users to forward calls to Google Voice numbers without being charged the .20 per call. I don't think this feature was unique to Google Voice numbers.

I have basically the same setup you're talking about using Google Voice and the previously mentioned patch.

Numbers on the blocked list are "seen" by the pre, and are immediately ignored (by the patch). They then go to my forwarded voice mail (Google Voice), and the Do Not Answer group gets a voice recording that's is basically 2 minutes of silence. I suppose if they were patient enough, they would leave a message. There are only two numbers on my list though, and I don't think either of them are smart enough to figure it out (hope they aren't reading....)
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas89134 View Post
    TXT Manager addresses special tones for text messages. I want an App to set up a distinct ringtone for Phone Calls from anyone not listed in my Contacts.

But, Thanks for the input.
    I don't know how big your contact list is, or how much it changes, and will admit up front that this is a pretty poor workaround, but here's a suggestion.

If your contact list is short and not subject to frequent updates, you can go in and set each of the contacts in your list to have a whatever you want your "known caller" ringtone to be. Then you can set your default ringtone to whatever you want your "unkonwn caller" ringtone to be.

Hopefully, we'll eventually see some more powerful controls for things like this.
    Hopefully a program will show up to offer these tweaks to WebOS. I miss the ability to change ring tones like the Treo's also.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    If your contact list is short and not subject to frequent updates, you can go in and set each of the contacts in your list to have a whatever you want your "known caller" ringtone to be. Then you can set your default ringtone to whatever you want your "unkonwn caller" ringtone to be.
    I've already set unique ringtones for the handfull of my regular callers. As a Palm user for over 12 years, I have HUNDREDS of contacts and shudder at the very thought of having to touch every one of them to set a known ringtone. I just want to identify "strangers" without having to visually inspect the caller ID.

I find it curious that Pre users are all over custom tones for text messages which can mostly be dealt with "when you have time" or apps to ignore or hang up on unknown or blocked ID calls, but no one seems motivated to provide a means to identify unknown calls with a special ring, when unlike text, a ringing phone call demands a "do I pick it up" decision right away.
    Elryon has come up with the solution to this request. See the thread here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ed-calers.html

I've installed this patch, and it is just what we have requested!
    Thank U 4 the link. I am going to try it out 2nite. I was on the Treo 755p before my Pre, and there are a lot of little things that I miss. I think I will check out the Pre Owner's Manual. Haven't done that yet & probably should.
    You can still use Youmail for free, I have it on both of my phones using the sprint network. You will need to be persistent and ask to talk to a level 2 tech not the so called tech that answers the call on the first instance. You will need to inform the technician that you need to replace their default voice mail box number with a separate number that you will supply them.

Explain to them that you will not be activating a call forwarding you just want when a call is not picked up to be routed to your new (youmail number) instead on the sprint voice mail number.

You may need to call back a few times but you can get it done. I have done it for a few friends of mine and some tech are already aware of the procedure.
    You don't even need to call tech support. Conditional call forwarding is free on Sprint. You dial *28 and then the number. YouMail can walk you through the setup or YouView the WebOs client for YouMail will do it for you.
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC

Syntactix Developer Forum

Applications: Pack 'n' Track, YouView, Jewels, Metrix Developer Tools, TripThat, Mobile Florist.

Follow development on Twitter

Please support developers by purchasing their app(s) or donating.