Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    Ok, so I'm a noob who's been lurking with my new pre (love all the app's and guides) When I purchased the pre the sales tech said "oh let me get it all working" and in the process upgraded it to 1.2. I really would prefer to be on 1.1 with fewer problems and all app's working. Once on 1.2 is there anyway to downgrade back down?

    I'm still getting to know the phone but do have root access if its required, thanks.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Synesthesia View Post
    Ok, so I'm a noob who's been lurking with my new pre (love all the app's and guides) When I purchased the pre the sales tech said "oh let me get it all working" and in the process upgraded it to 1.2. I really would prefer to be on 1.1 with fewer problems and all app's working. Once on 1.2 is there anyway to downgrade back down?

    I'm still getting to know the phone but do have root access if its required, thanks.
    You can use WebOS doctor and it will restore your phone to factory fresh. But WebOS Quick Install 2.7 will be coming out before this weekend is over with more tweaks + everything else your phone will do on 1.1 so it would probably be better just to wait.

    It's up to you though of course.
  3.    #3  
    I'm pretty new to all of this, its actually the first smartphone I'v ever had. So will the WEBOS quick install fix all the problems with 1.2? and retain the features of 1.1?
  4. PDAGuy#AC's Avatar
    Posts
    78 Posts
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    #4  
    Just out of curiousity... what are "all the problems with 1.2" ?
  5.    #5  
    I'm still exploring, mostly lack of alerts, calander off, and a few gestures have been changed.

    As a rule of thumb, I never like to be on the newest, latest version of anything.
  6. twosted's Avatar
    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    #6  
    Just use Preware to install tweaks/patches.

    Preware
  7.    #7  
    I'm a hella noob, what exactly does preware do? fix issues? or add in extra things. I have a list of about 20 tweaks/hacks I'm looking to install for various things from LED turning on, brightness unlinked etc

    This may seem stupid, but I'm doing the preware and followed all the wiki links which say I need WEBOS quick install, which then states it won't work with 1.2?
    Last edited by Synesthesia; 10/02/2009 at 10:01 PM.
  8. twosted's Avatar
    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Synesthesia View Post
    I'm a hella noob, what exactly does preware do? fix issues? or add in extra things. I have a list of about 20 tweaks/hacks I'm looking to install for various things from LED turning on, brightness unlinked etc
    You can use it to install apps, tweaks/patches, themes. Here is a list of the tweaks/patches that work.

    Patches 1.2.0

    I currently have 23 installed on mine. It is really easy to do.
  9. #9  
    If you're really "hella newb" I'd recommend leaving your phone just the way it is.
  10.    #10  
    Ok, so still on topic and since I'v only had it 24 hours is there any certain order I should be doing things in?

    The very first thing I did out of the box was back up everything, but should I go and start over again. For example, start from the beginning and do
    1.2 tweaks?
    Root access
    WebOS
    Preware

    But then WebOS quick install 2.6 doesn't work with 1.2, so 2.7 will?

    I just want to make sure I'm not over writing anything or messing with anything else.

    Quote Originally Posted by buchkoba00 View Post
    If you're really "hella newb" I'd recommend leaving your phone just the way it is.
    I'm upgrading from a 3 year old samsung and just miss the days of a phone being perfect for years right out of the box. My problem is that nothing on the market meets my needs. Simple things like an alarm clock and different tones for every single alert I just assumed no one would be lazy enough to remove. I estimate it'll take me a week just to get the phone fully working.

    I'm glad places lke this with detailed guides exist.
  11. twosted's Avatar
    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Synesthesia View Post
    This may seem stupid, but I'm doing the preware and followed all the wiki links which say I need WEBOS quick install, which then states it won't work with 1.2?
    You can use WebOS QI to install applications you just can't install tweaks or themes with it.
  12.    #12  
    Does anyone know if the quickinstaller 2.7 will work with 1.2? Or can I just use the old one to get preware and not worry about it.
  13. twosted's Avatar
    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Synesthesia View Post
    Does anyone know if the quickinstaller 2.7 will work with 1.2? Or can I just use the old one to get preware and not worry about it.
    You can use the old one. Just use it to install the "package manager service" and "preware". It will work just fine.
  14.    #14  
    I have much to learn, thanks for all the replies. Next on my list is mytether over USB

    Now since I already did the root, and already have the novacom do I need to reinstall a newer version or anything? All the links say to install it but its included with the quickinstaller? does it matter if its already there, or does it need to be in 2 places?
    Last edited by Synesthesia; 10/02/2009 at 10:38 PM.

Posting Permissions