1.    #1  

I'm seriously about to cry right now.

After waiting a year for a discount since I first got with sprint, and saving up all my money, and getting so exited about getting the pre, I find out I cant get it.

Why you ask?

Because I'm on a family plan with my family.

My current plan has 3 phones, all w/ unlimited texting, 1500 shared minutes.

Apparently, you cant get the Pre if you are on a family plan.

They tell me this after I go to RadioShack 5 times, because their computers were either down, sprint was down, they were out of stock, etc.

I also find out if I want to migrate to an individual plan, the lowest I can for the cost of the plan 70$.

Does it suck for me or what...... Any chance that Sprint would change it...?

Thanks for reading.

Han
    Quote Originally Posted by HanMan5000 View Post

After waiting a year for a discount since I first got with sprint, and saving up all my money, and getting so exited about getting the pre, I find out I cant get it.

Why you ask?

They tell me this after I go to RadioShack 5 times, because their computers were either down, sprint was down, they were out of stock, etc.

I also find out if I want to migrate to an individual plan, the lowest I can for the cost of the plan 70$.

Thanks for reading.

Han
    Wait what? i have a friend whos on a family plan with his sister and he just got a pre....
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts

Why you ask?

Thanks for reading.

Han
    I share minutes with two additional numbers (wife and daughter). Have for a number of years. I have a Pre (and got the full discount because I was "ready") and my wife waited a couple of months til she was due then we popped for hers, too. My daughter will get one in Novemeber when it's her time for full discount.

Uh...I don't see a problem.

bj
    The OP sounds like he's on a Family Messaging plan, not a Family Data plan. So he'd either have to upgrade so that everyone is on data, or separate out his plan to give only him data.

This is the one downfall in the cost-effectiveness of Sprint's plans, in my opinion.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    We have 5 numbers (3 kids) and my wife and I both have Pres on a family plan!!
  6. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    It's my humble opinion that if money is that hard to come by one shouldn't be spending it on a fancier phone.

xtn
    It needs to be an Everything Data Plan. Those exist for families just the same as they do for single users.

Go to a Sprint store if you can, RadioShack really sucks. If you can't get to a Sprint store, go to a BestBuy.

There are certain situations where they can squeak you by on a none Everything Data Plan, but again you need to speak to Sprint, or possibly BestBuy Mobile.
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    It's my humble opinion that if money is that hard to come by one shouldn't be spending it on a fancier phone.

xtn
    He/she sounds like he/she is a ~18 year old kid.
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkims View Post
    It needs to be an Everything Data Plan. Those exist for families just the same as they do for single users.

Go to a Sprint store if you can, RadioShack really sucks. If you can't get to a Sprint store, go to a BestBuy.

There are certain situations where they can squeak you by on a none Everything Data Plan, but again you need to speak to Sprint, or possibly BestBuy Mobile.
    +1
  10.    #10  
    Everything message plan is what I have.

Yeah your right, I'm under 18, I'm 17, but is that relevant?

Whats weird is, sprint gave me free data, and I can get on the internet as much as I want, and I dont even pay for it. But I still cant get the upgrade.

Thanks for the replies guys, negative or positive, both appreciated.
    I am on a family plan with 2 pres... The everything data family plan
    Aka: NinjaMom
    www.ppcgeeks.com
    PPC6600>PPC6700>HTC Touch>Touch Pro>Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Suggestions:

Your current plan is $110 correct? Everything Texting 1500 plus 1 extra

Get the Everything Data + 1. $130 +$20 = $150.

25% off Sprint bill: $30 and some paperwork. Everyone can qualify.

After the 25% discount it will come to $112.

Sprint will work with you if you're nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom2Ninjas View Post
    I am on a family plan with 2 pres... The everything data family plan
    if you already have data with your current plan (does the rest of your family?) then you almost certainly can get a pre. it's entirely possible the radio shack employee is either uninformed, or they have a company policy regarding only selling phones with new lines of service. go to a sprint store.
  14.    #14  
    Cashen thanks.

Thanks everyone, really appreciate it.

Since I have free Data that I'm not paying for, Sprint said I might still be able to get the Pre without changing my plan, I'm on hold right now, so I hope this works out.
    Everything message plan is what I have.

Yeah your right, I'm under 18, I'm 17, but is that relevant?

Whats weird is, sprint gave me free data, and I can get on the internet as much as I want, and I dont even pay for it. But I still cant get the upgrade.

Thanks for the replies guys, negative or positive, both appreciated.
    It's not that it's not possible for Sprint to allow this, they choose to run the system this way. While you my get unlimited data with your current device, with the Pre you will almost certainly use more data, because it is by far the most data-centric device Sprint has carried. That's part of the reason for the change in plan requirements (I'm sure it's also because Sprint has gotten tired of losing money).

I suspect that part of your problem is that your parents are subsidizing part of the payment on your phone? If so, ask them what they can work out for you. See if they pay part of the $70, and you pay the rest. Keep in mind, the new free mobile to mobile will likely reduce the amount of minutes you need.

Side Note It's considered bad form to create multiple threads on the forum that are basically about the same issue.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Cashen thanks.

Thanks everyone, really appreciate it.

Since I have free Data that I'm not paying for, Sprint said I might still be able to get the Pre without changing my plan, I'm on hold right now, so I hope this works out.
    I don't know what your parents are paying right now for the three of you, but here's the price if your parents upgrade everyone's lines. Note same minutes plus free mobile to mobile.

Everything Data Family - with Any Mobile, AnytimeSM
    Plan Summary
    Monthly Price
    1500 Shared Minutes $129.99
    Line 1 included in monthly price
    Line 2 included in monthly price
    Line 3 $19.99
    Total for 3 shared lines $149.98

Depending on what the difference in price is between what they're paying now, maybe you could pick up the extra cost or split it three ways?

This could be the plan you have now:

Everything Messaging Family
    Plan Summary
    Monthly Price
    1500 Shared Minutes $99.99
    Line 1 included in monthly price
    Line 2 included in monthly price
    Line 3 $9.99
    Total for 3 shared lines $109.98

It looks like a $40 difference. If you divide that among everyone, it's only $13.33 extra per person. If you needed to coax your parents further, you could offer to pay half or $20 a month.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Does the family data plan have the unlimited moble to moble the single one does? May be a selling point to the parents.
    i was in the same boat, except i had already ordered my pre on ebay. lol i found out if on a family plan it was gonna be 129.99 just for the pre. sucked, but i had already bought so we went with it. was thinkin of lookin into hero to avoid the high family plans but im not sure about the plan policies on the hero
    Last edited by ryudo423; 10/02/2009 at 10:48 PM.
    My family has the shared data/voice/sms plan, and both my daughter and I have Pre's.

In order for my daughter to get one, she had to lose her old phone number and open a new account, but then we immediately switched her back to our plan. We did this through the Sprint store.

Hope yours works out.