Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just today I was sitting in class and all of sudden my Pre started getting hot. I pulled it out and just sat it on the desk but didn't check it until class was over and it was completely drained of battery.

It was at 60% before I put it in my pocket and in about an hour it dropped to 0%. Nothing was running.

I charged it back up to 17% and it dropped to 10% in a few minutes. Right now I have it plugged into the computer and after about 45 minutes, its gone from 10% to 15% and it's still very hot (like when you are talking on the phone and have it charging at the same time).

Anyone had this problem? Should I just use WebOS Doctor?
    have you downloaded 1.2 - maybe it was doing the automatic undate?
  3.    #3  
    Ya I've already updated.
    did u try restarting it? or did u have aim, gtalk, any of those running?
    Yeah, definitely sounds like it was fetching some data. I have usually only had this occur when it is syncing a large amount of data such as the initial activation, or addition of another account to synergy, etc.
    Have you tried hitting your update app to see what it says?
    It could also be that your Pre killed itself so it didnt have to listen to your teacher. Very common.
    I've had my Pre since the second week they were out. I've only had that happen one time (about a month and a half ago). It was exactly like you described. It got real hot with nothing running and my battery power started going down fast. I rebooted it and it's been fine ever since. I don't know what was going on, but it was thinking awfully hard about something. If it happens again try rebooting. It worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by stashu11 View Post
    I've had my Pre since the second week they were out. I've only had that happen one time (about a month and a half ago). It was exactly like you described. It got real hot with nothing running and my battery power started going down fast. I rebooted it and it's been fine ever since. I don't know what was going on, but it was thinking awfully hard about something. If it happens again try rebooting. It worked for me.
    Were you in class too??

Haha
    Yea, I had this exact same thing happen to me...I mean it was HOT in the back. I had nothing running, but it drained the battery from 100% to about 20% in an hour or so...it also ran real real slow and skippy like there was a lot going on with the processor. I did a battery pull and have yet to have the problem again. This was pre 1.2...I think 1.1 if I'm not mistaken. I'm chalking it up as a one time thing.
    Could be just a bad batch of batteries. My touch pro did the same as the op's numerous times and it turned out the batt was bad. Went to sprint and had them give me a new batt for it and I never had a problem since.
  11.    #11  
    Phone seems fine now. A few resets didn't work but I left the battery out for a while and its fine now.

I only mentioned that I was in class because that makes the situation even more weird. Looking around the room thinking "damn is it hot in here or is it me"
    So, I've had this problem before too. Reseting the device takes care of the problem. I think it could have something to do with the web browser and streaming music and videos. I believe there is some sort of memory leak that happens occasionally with the web browser that causes it to drain battery like crazy. A reboot fixes it though if it ever happens again to you.
    Global Posts
    738 Global Posts
    One of my previous Pre's was like this. I brought it to Sprint and they replaced it. It also got very hot when charging.
    I've been having this problem too. Another forum suggested that the hangup might occur when the pre is trying to log into an unknown wifi network. As I look back on the times, and the places this happened to me, it seems likely. Your classroom may have provided a similar environment. It makes sense, ya know, its a reasonable thing for a smart phone to do (look for a wifi connection) but if thats whats eating up our battery life, then it should stop. But if thats what it is, maybe we can stop it.

right now Im sitting at work with 17% battery left, my phone off, and a great reluctance to turn it back on. Can anyone can speak to this, or can try it out for me...?
    Same thing happened to me.

I charged my phone to 100%
    Went to go make some breakfast and left my pre on the stairs.

I came back about 30 minutes later and it was in the 76% range and hott near the back.
    I turned it off and turned it back on and it was fine after that. Probably some data glitch.
    I've had this happen to me before too, & actually I was in class too. I was using the web browser prior to it happening, so my belief is that it is some sort of memory leak, as some of you have pointed out. Because of this & because the Pre will get sluggish & jerky on its own, I've made it a daily practice (normally when I'm laying down to sleep) to power off the device & to pull the battery out for a few seconds & then power it back up again. Now, pulling the battery might be overkill, but power cycling it has become a necessity in order to have any pracitcal functionality of the "multi-tasking" feature. I add the quotes because you really can only have 5 or so cards open before the device becomes sluggish &/or incapiable of handling those excisiting cards. I've had it say "no more memory, please close some cards" with only one card open.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Pre, I just which I could either upgrade the system memory or set up some/more virtual memory. Anyways, sorry if there are any grammatical/spelling errors, I'm writing this from my Pre & I can't see the entire text box as I type.

-Gorphee
    Bad batch of batteries, got a new one still goes quick
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stashu11 View Post
    My WinMO HTC Touch did that a couple of times. so it's not just the Pre. Must be a conspiracy!
    Mine did it when it was switching from roaming to sprint signal. I happened when there wasn't really good signal. Thats what I's thinking does it!
    I have huge battery drain if I go into a low signal area. I'm pretty sure the phone can drain itself in about an hour if it's searching for a signal.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast