Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    I've noticed, since the update, that I can no longer be on a phone call and surf the internet or use apps that require the internet unless I am connected via Wi-Fi.

Before, you didn't need this and you could use the phone's network to multi-task.

Is there something I need to turn on (or off) so that I can have this capability?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by tfracs33 View Post
    I've noticed, since the update, that I can no longer be on a phone call and surf the internet or use apps that require the internet unless I am connected via Wi-Fi.

Before, you didn't need this and you could use the phone's network to multi-task.

Is there something I need to turn on (or off) so that I can have this capability?

Thanks.
    Its always been like this. You can't use the phone to make a call and do data over the EVDO network at the same time. Its not possible, and never has been. Its a limitation of the CDMA system that Sprint uses. Verizon is the same. GSM such as ATT and T-Mo can do voice and data at the same time.
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by supercluver View Post
    Its always been like this. You can't use the phone to make a call and do data over the EVDO network at the same time. Its not possible, and never has been. Its a limitation of the CDMA system that Sprint uses. Verizon is the same. GSM such as ATT and T-Mo can do voice and data at the same time.
    Clearly Sprint has only been using CDMA since WebOS 1.2 was released... pssh.

(just kidding, by the way)
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    I did it all the time before the update...I would be on the phone and be on the internet looking up info...not on a Wi-Fi because I usually do it when I am on the road doing work.
    Then you were the only one. Everyone else has had this same limitation since launch day, just like all other Sprint/Verizon phones.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    I don't doubt that possibly some combination of things led to this ability (perhaps a public Wi-Fi?), but it is just not possible to utilize actual data and voice over Sprint's network. It's not a device thing, it's a network thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by tfracs33 View Post
    I did it all the time before the update...I would be on the phone and be on the internet looking up info...not on a Wi-Fi because I usually do it when I am on the road doing work.
    Not saying I don't believe you ... but ... I don't believe you. Just kidding. But seriously.

Unless somehow you were data roaming and the Pre can allow this. Otherwise, all other CDMA phones cannot accomplish this.
    You lucky *******. You got away with what a few million sprint subscribers have not been able to do since cdma's birth.

That is one feature I miss of my ATT Iphone combo.
    It's simply not possible at all and never has been.
    "Last edited by ChappyEight; 09/24/2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: To bow to zeravla."
    its has always been like this. i wish it would change though.
    hes OBVIOUSLY on the Super Sprint Network.
    Alright, I thought of a possibility. What if Sprint was testing some new technology, and the Pre was part of the testing, but it was only in a specific area, and 1.2 removed some of the testing code?

I think this is immensely unlikely, by the way.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Alright, I thought of a possibility. What if Sprint was testing some new technology, and the Pre was part of the testing, but it was only in a specific area, and 1.2 removed some of the testing code?

Nope, he was just a premier customer on the SSN (super sprint network)
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Not saying I don't believe you ... but ... I don't believe you. Just kidding. But seriously.

Unless somehow you were data roaming and the Pre can allow this. Otherwise, all other CDMA phones cannot accomplish this.
    What about that? Could that make it possible? Can a Pre or other Sprint phone roam on a GSM network? And if so, would that enable you to have voice and data simultaneously? (assuming you have the data roaming tweak enabled )

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    not possible on any CDMA network..i.e. Sprint, Verizon.
    you had to have been on Wi-fi. Maybe you are picking up a free hotspot and not realizing it
    I use the phone and play on the web all the time.

.....with my netbook & Pre.
    That would be interesting question though...can you talk and browse data if roaming on someone elses network...hmm....
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    hes OBVIOUSLY on the Super Sprint Network.
    No what really happened was that he was within 100 miles of Chuck Norris's Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post

No its a network thing. They'd have to be changing things with the way their actual network goes, not devices. so yeah, VERY unlikely....
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    That would be interesting question though...can you talk and browse data if roaming on someone elses network...hmm....
    Quote Originally Posted by schott1984 View Post
    What about that? Could that make it possible? Can a Pre or other Sprint phone roam on a GSM network? And if so, would that enable you to have voice and data simultaneously? (assuming you have the data roaming tweak enabled )
    No, it can't roam on GSM, it doesn't have a GSM radio. CDMA only. and even if it did have a GSM radio, sprint wouldn't allow data or even voice roaming here in the US, it would just be for overseas use. so no, this wouldn't make it possible and it doesn't matter cause it doesn't have the hardware anyway. and roaming here on say verizon is still CDMA, and no CDMA carrier currently supports voice and data at the same time. and you couldn't be on voice on sprint and data on verizon, since its all through the one radio.....

so in summary, only way to do data and voice is with wifi. period.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast