Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    What about if I've got something like Pandora going, and a call comes in? Yes, i know that the audio would stop during the call, but i never lose the connection or the place in the music, and it resumes as if uninterrupted, no matter the call duration. And i am always in EVDO mode

However, the way you are describing the CDMA, with it's absolutes, then technically, i should lose the connection to anything that is communicating with the outside world.
    Last edited by schizzle1352; 10/02/2009 at 03:42 PM. Reason: addendum to info
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I read about a special Pre that they placed into the market that can atually do this. My suggestion is to contact Sprint IMMEDIATELY because there is a cash reward coming your way.
    Losing the connection temporarily doesn't necessarily close out the html session. Streaming, while paused, could definitely start right back up again, especially if there was a decent buffer built up beforehand. I've noticed that the Pre data connection starts up again very quickly after ending a call.

Note that if you're on a web page, that would stay open, and you could look at it, and possibly even hit the back button to load the previous page from the cache.

So there are some things going on that make it appear that you haven't lost data.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by schizzle1352 View Post
    What about if I've got something like Pandora going, and a call comes in? Yes, i know that the audio would stop during the call, but i never lose the connection or the place in the music, and it resumes as if uninterrupted, no matter the call duration. And i am always in EVDO mode

However, the way you are describing the CDMA, with it's absolutes, then technically, i should lose the connection to anything that is communicating with the outside world.
    Well first, Pandora is probably (really almost certainly) using a buffer. But even at that, when a call comes in, it pauses pandora. You can pause pandora, unlike say shoutcast radio or some other streaming radio. That makes pandora awesome, not your pre. So a call comes in, pandora gets paused, it goes to 1xRTT mode for the call, then you hang up, it picks back up on EVDO and picks back up your pandora stream. Due to the buffer, it all seems seamless...
    i've sent text messages (data) while on voice calls without wifi with my past 3 phones on sprint. I don't know about surfing the web.
    Im sure this can be done. I do it all the time. Seriously. Under phone preferences there is an option to enable or disable data roaming. When Im roaming I can access the web. I use it alot for work when Im on site (far away from sprint), And need to lookup a spec. for one of my employees while im on the phone with them. Sorry to tell ya it can be done.
    Last edited by byosphere; 10/02/2009 at 05:52 PM.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    I think what they were doing before was to go to the web browser and look at pages already in the local cache, BUT NOW since 1.2, the stupid browser keeps trying to auto-refresh every time you browse a page (or every time you go back to a minimized browser card), so now it looks like it does not work...

Am I clear?
    Quote Originally Posted by blends View Post
    i've sent text messages (data) while on voice calls without wifi with my past 3 phones on sprint. I don't know about surfing the web.
    Texts are not considered data they are transmitted the same way the as the phone
    Quote Originally Posted by supercluver View Post
    GSM such as ATT and T-Mo can do voice and data at the same time.
    Technically, this isn't true. It's certainly good enough for shorthand, but if you're being nit picky, it's not correct. AT&T and T-Mobile both have dual band GSM and HSDPA networks. GSM by itself can't do voice and data at the same time. GSM's data protocol is EDGE. If you're ever on an iPhone in an area w/only EDGE data, you will NOT be able to use both voice and data at the same time.

On the other hand, when you're in a "3G" area, you're using HSDPA, which does allow simultaneous voice and data. But that's only available with relatively small coverage compared to EVDO coverage on CDMA.

And FYI, the CDMA developmeng group recently announced the specs for SVDO that will enable simultaneous voice and data. I don't know whether this will work with existing handsets, but hopes are high. CDG : News & Events : CDG Press Releases
    Twitter: dullgeek
    well... for all the folks that say you *can't* do it on a cdma network, that's not strictly true... evdo rev-a CAN do simultaneous data and voice- but verizon and sprint's network have not had it enabled for whatever reasons...
    Quote Originally Posted by blends View Post

As stated before a text message does not run off the data network. It fits within packets of a phone transmission (and actually costs cellular companies no money whatsoever, there's a huge Times article on this).

Test it, turn off the data on your Pre. You will still be able to text freely.
    "Last edited by ChappyEight; 09/24/2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: To bow to zeravla."
    Quote Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
    well... for all the folks that say you *can't* do it on a cdma network, that's not strictly true... evdo rev-a CAN do simultaneous data and voice- but verizon and sprint's network have not had it enabled for whatever reasons...
    Are you sure? I know that Rev A can do it with VOIP, but I didn't think it could do normal voice & data at the same time. I could be wrong.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Hmmm...can one be data roaming but on Sprint's voice network at the same time?
    I've experienced the same thing as the OP, I used to be able to check stuff on the internet on my Pre while being on a call (on my Pre also).....IDK how it was possible but I know I was able to do it before and now I can't anymore.......
    same here. I usually turn off my WIFI on the Pre when I leave the house, just so it isn't searching. I've some how been able to talk on the speaker phone and look things up at the same time. Not sure how, now that I've read through this thread. Of course I wasn't aware that I no longer could. Can't tell if I feel fortunate for being able to before or disappointed because I can no longer do something that I theoretically never could do. I'm SO confused....
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    i was never able surf the web while I talked, but I used to be able yo have sprint nav open and be on a phone call at the same time as long as I had started nav prior to the phone call. Now with1.3.1 I can no longer do it
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12