Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Hi All,

I've been watching this forum for a couple of months and it is tiime to ask my question.

I've been with Verizon for 10+ years and my contract ends in a few days and my wife's in about 30. It is time to upgrade my wife to a smartphone. I'm a gadget guy (3 Macs/3 Windows PCs home network, HTPC, and develop software for a living), so of course I was drawn to the Pre.

My wife's only requirement: coverage. To be specific, I would be interested in anyone's experience in Charlotte NC (live in south), LA (near LAX) and Cleveland (Fairview Park/ Westlake area). Her question to me was...do you know anyone with Sprint and the Pre?

Thanks in advance....
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    just wait till the new year and get the verizon pre. sprint/pre coverage varies, literally, from one inch to another.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    When I lived in LA a few years ago, I had great Sprint coverage pretty much everywhere. It's possible that I had reduced signal when I would drive into the Conejo Valley, and when I would drive through the Cajon Pass (both of those are outside LA metro, though). I don't recall any problems near LAX.

Of course, I didn't have a Pre then....
    It may seem like I am doing nothing, but on a cellular level I'm really quite busy.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    Do not listen to this guy. Knowing verizon they will disable some features and gimp certain things so you have to pay extra. The fact that you can roam on their network without an additional fee makes me wonder why more people don't switch just for the savings. verizon even charges to text an international number while I can do this on Sprint for free.
    i never said they were cheaper.

roaming on 1x vs non-roaming evdo...pretty easy choice.

i've been w/ sprint for over 8 years and this is the first device where i can tell where the network is deficient. also vz has service on the chicago L, where i spend an hour a day commuting, while sprint is the only national carrier w/out service.
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    i never said they were cheaper.

roaming on 1x vs non-roaming evdo...pretty easy choice.

i've been w/ sprint for over 8 years and this is the first device where i can tell where the network is deficient. also vz has service on the chicago L, where i spend an hour a day commuting, while sprint is the only national carrier w/out service.
    Every provider has its holes.....my cousin has verizon and gets NO serivice in my house....surprising right? att gets 2 bars and sprint gets 2 bars... just have to find the best network for your area
    It really does depend on the area. I live in GA and have much better service than AT&T in my city. When I go to an island off the coast I almost never have service, but AT&T does have service. Verizon wants to get you for your money however they can when it comes to feautures on your phone. I would ask people in those areas that you know.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    Every provider has its holes.....my cousin has verizon and gets NO serivice in my house....surprising right? att gets 2 bars and sprint gets 2 bars... just have to find the best network for your area
    before the pre, i had 5 bars everywhere w/ sprint for 8 years.
    I live in Seattle and Sprint Coverage is WAY better than Verizon - but then again, T-Mobile has the best coverage of them all here (in the city).

When I drove on I-80 through Wyoming, I didn't have any Verizon coverage (even call coverage) through most of the state, however with Sprint I had full coverage.
    If I help you out, why not "Thank" me? Or you can visit my site at http://outklaw.com
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrMikie View Post
    Hi All,

My wife's only requirement: coverage. To be specific, I would be interested in anyone's experience in Charlotte NC (live in south), LA (near LAX) and Cleveland (Fairview Park/ Westlake area). Her question to me was...do you know anyone with Sprint and the Pre?

Thanks in advance....
    I live in LA and coverage is great. 5 bars around LAX and pretty much anywhere to the east. I do go down a bar when I hit Pomona. Other than that 5 bars.
    OP: I am in Chapel Hill, NC and Sprint voice/EVDO coverage is great. Meanwile, ATT is sh*ttastic here.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I don't know about those places as I live in Hawaii. I was a loyal Verizon customer since the Moto Brick, and I jumped to Sprint two years ago to get a SERO plan. Never looked back, nor regretted it.

Here Sprint’s coverage is better than VZW’s, the service is cheaper (you already knew that), there are more Sprint stores, and Sprint one time horrible customer support has improved markedly.
    Just try the pre out for 30 days, if u dont like it, return it and go back to verizon. enough said.
    I live in L.A. I work in the San Fernando Valley, live in the San Gabriel Valley, and spend quite a bit of time in and around downtown as well as Riverside. Sprint coverage in most of L.A. is fantastic, including with my Pre. The only places I've had bad coverage are places with a lot of hills and where Sprint's coverage is still expanding. I've had no problems in or around LAX. Just don't go to Chicago...
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    I live in L.A. I work in the San Fernando Valley, live in the San Gabriel Valley, and spend quite a bit of time in and around downtown as well as Riverside. Sprint coverage in most of L.A. is fantastic, including with my Pre. The only places I've had bad coverage are places with a lot of hills and where Sprint's coverage is still expanding. I've had no problems in or around LAX. Just don't go to Chicago...
    You would think that, with the biggest hill in Chicago is an ant hill, Sprint/Pre coverage would be excellent. I guess its just this phone.
    I live in Orange County, and visit LA county often. I also flew into LAX about 2 weeks ago. Coverage was great at LAX, and everywhere in so cal I've been. I get consistently faster 3G service than my friend's on AT&T.
    I'm also in the LA area and Sprint is pretty good here (and most of the west coast I believe). Have you checked the coverage map on their web site ... I know ii doesn't tell the whole story, but it can give you a pretty good idea:

Sprint-Welcome
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    Just try the pre out for 30 days, if u dont like it, return it and go back to verizon. enough said.
    Seconded on this recommendation. That's what I did when I switched to sprint. I went and got the phone from them, and got a new phone number. I carried it around to everywhere I went on a daily basis and got a feel for it's coverage. Once I determined that I liked the phone and coverage, I called up to customer service and ported my number from T-Mobile. I've been with sprint for about a year now and have been really happy with my service.
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    i get great service at my friend's house w/ sprint, but he gets nothing w/ his verizon plan. he gets so many drop calls that he finally got a landline for home use.
    i live in the east coast and i heard that sprint gets much better coverage in the west. not sure if that's true, but i been w/ sprint for over 10 yrs and really have no problem with them. plus sprint has the cheapest plan around. i personally would not switch to any other carrier.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    verizon even charges to text an international number while I can do this on Sprint for free.
    While I love sprint, this statement is not true, according to Sprint's website.
    Here's what you really need to do: go to a Sprint corporate store, tell them what you've told us, and ask to borrow a phone for a day or two. If you ask especially nicely, they might even let you borrow a used Pre.

Carry the loaner with you on your daily routine, and find out first hand if Sprint coverage is good enough for you. No contract, no obligation required.

If you can't borrow a Pre, keep in mind that the Pre's reception is generally worse than other Sprint phones. Not a LOT worse, but enough so that if you're hanging out in 1 bar coverage for any length of time, you'll have trouble getting a signal with the Pre.

Best wishes!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast