1.    #1  
    Hey folks!

We support iPhones here at work (I'm in IT) and in setting up an iPhone yesterday I couldn't help but notice how responsive the iPhone's touchscreen was.

I find my Pre can be a bit laggy at times....as in I flick it up or down and it pauses for half a second and then it responds.

Is this something that can be fixed via an OS update or is this a hardware issue?

Al
    Palm loyalist: Samsung SGH-i500>Treo 600>650>755P>Pre- #1>>Pre- #2>Pre- #3>Pre- #4>Pre- #5>Pre- #6
    I noticed it too. The update doesn't fix it. Sometimes I tap the screen and see the touch circle but the action is delayed or won't work. Especially when answering a call while in another app.
    It's a software issue. It's been addressed, to some extent, in past updates (UI has become slightly more responsive). Hopefully, Palm will continue to work on it.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    the iphone uses its gpu to render graphics while the pre uses only the cpu. When/if WebGL is released, it should improve this problem a lot
    I would also add that touch screen action is more responsive/faster since 1.2. I was initially going to post a new topic comparing the glass screen to what was used on the treo.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks fellas!

It's rather minor. It's only when comparing the two phones do you really notice.

The 2nd part to that story is in setting up the iphone, I started navigating through the screens just to peep things out and quickly realized that I wasn't using my Pre.

No flickin of cards or multitasking....felt very primitive....."What do you mean I have to close this app down before opening another one?....soooo 2008"...haha
    Palm loyalist: Samsung SGH-i500>Treo 600>650>755P>Pre- #1>>Pre- #2>Pre- #3>Pre- #4>Pre- #5>Pre- #6
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Yeah, as noted, it's the graphics acceleration on the iPhone, makes a big difference. Apple uses some interesting tricks to render stuff. In some cases, they will actually map 2D images/graphics into an OpenGL texture to animate it and give it 3D effects, etc.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by algee650 View Post
    Thanks fellas!

It's rather minor. It's only when comparing the two phones do you really notice.

The 2nd part to that story is in setting up the iphone, I started navigating through the screens just to peep things out and quickly realized that I wasn't using my Pre.

No flickin of cards or multitasking....felt very primitive....."What do you mean I have to close this app down before opening another one?....soooo 2008"...haha

I agree that the card switching metaphor is a lot more efficient, but the iPhone does multi-task 6-7 core apps (and many background processes you don't see). I think it's important to point that out, because so many people are under the impression that the Pre is the only multi-tasking phone out there. It just makes it more obvious to the user.

With the fast iPhone 3GS, it takes longer to physically hit the home button and icons to switch apps than it does to push/pop the individual apps themselves, which really makes the Pre's cards seem slick. Now if Palm could work on speed, it would be even better.