Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I know that the sync doesn't work in iTunes 9. However, i've always had my Pre set to manually add music in iTunes. As such I've always managed it that way.

Now, however, it doesn't even show up as a generic mp3 player. Is this just my machine or what? Anybody encounter this? I can understand the fight Apple has put up to keep iTunes from seeing my Pre as and Ipod (I don't really understand this, seems Apple is undermining its own business but that's a discussion for another thread) but now it doesn't show up at all. Still shows up in Windows Explorer.

I'm not sure if this matters (cause it hasn't before) but I'm using Win 7 64 bit RC1. Also I know there are other ways to get music on there, which I'm fine with, but with such a large music collection built around iTunes (something like 80+ gig of studio and live shows) its how I prefer to navigate my collection.

Discuss amongst yourselves. Feedback is always appreciated, thanks!
    It's not obvious that Apple has completely blocked it?
    I just went back to version 8.XXX and everything works just fine...nothing really new in 9.0 that I just have to have. Hate apple anyways, but Itunes synced with Pre and I got a free shuffle from my company about a year ago that made the chip possible for the shuffles size. So anyone who has a first Gen shuffle, it was made by me!
  4.    #4  
    Ya, I'm not so fond of Apple business practices either. They really completely blocked it? I'm sorry but that's asinine if its true.
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    Use media monkey
  6.    #6  
    So, lets say they have completely blocked the Pre cause they have this stupid feud with Palm now. If I just drag folders from my iTunes directory onto the Pre in USB mode into a folder I've created on the Pre called music....

...will the album art follow along with it? Its not that big a deal but I can identify them quicker in my music app (Music ReMix...FANTASTIC homebrew app)
    Quote Originally Posted by IamHydrogen View Post
    So, lets say they have completely blocked the Pre cause they have this stupid feud with Palm now. If I just drag folders from my iTunes directory onto the Pre in USB mode into a folder I've created on the Pre called music....

...will the album art follow along with it? Its not that big a deal but I can identify them quicker in my music app (Music ReMix...FANTASTIC homebrew app)
    as long as the art is tagged properly yes it will show.
  8.    #8  
    Well 90% of my music is encoded in iTunes lossless and most has album art attached. Either I bought it online or it was ripped from CD. Does this qualify as tagged properly? I just ask cause I know it stores all the album art in a separate folder
    Drag and drop my friend. Drag and drop.

I grabbed folders from my Itunes library and dd the drag and drop thing. I was able to get all my Album art moved over as well.
  10.    #10  
    I guess i'm disappointed cause they just introduced iTunes LP and being a music geek some of those extras really interest me. For 3-4 bucks more it give alot of bonus tracks plus artwork. This is part of the reason I still buy cd's and maintain a vinyl collection. Well that and sound quality...for that vinyl is king.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by atlanta View Post
    Use media monkey
    I'm looking at Media Monkey now...does it support Linux too? It would be great to move to a program that would work across both windows and linux
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    How did you go back?? like exactly what did u do?? Because everytime I tried to go ack .. or uninstall the new on and put in the old one.. it kept telling me that I had the new version already and that I couldn't go back...
    Uninstall the new one, erase all registry keys. Use something like registry mechanic (free from Cnet).
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Apple has every right to block it.

Quote Originally Posted by IamHydrogen View Post
    Ya, I'm not so fond of Apple business practices either. They really completely blocked it? I'm sorry but that's asinine if its true.
    Just go back to the older itunes 8.x.x. I never upgraded and it works just fine. No need to upgrade to itunes 9.x.x...
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  16.    #16  
    They may have a right but from a business perspective its just dumb. They are limiting their music revenue stream...if more people could access it easily with their current mp3 players, naturally, more would buy music from them. If they want the ipod/iphone apps and such, they (customers) will already naturally gravitate towards this as their next music player purchase because they will be already accustomed to their (apple's) ecosystem. I have a friend who recently commented that because he's been using his parents mac and due to the way he's been using itunes (he likes it) is subsequently going to get an ipod AND a mac, despite the higher entry price.

Sure, they have every right. But from a business standpoint, it seems really foolish.
    Quote Originally Posted by wickcity View Post
    Apple has every right to block it.
    NO!
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    If you are a Dee
    And you marry a Dee
    Then your children will be
    Dee duh dee
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    All of you people that say drag and drop is the best way to move music just annoy me! Do you really have 5gb or less music where drag and dropping works? I have 25gb, so I set up a random smart playlist in Itunes with 5gb total music. This way when I sync I get a random set of music every time and don't fill up my memory.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    First of all, Apple is not really "blocking" the Pre. They are enforcing the USB specs so that only Apple devices use the software, which has been their goal all along (so if you have to complain about something, that's the real target, not the recent spat with Palm).

It's Apple's fault they were originally leaving the barn door open so someone like Palm could sneak in. Now they locked the barn door, and the general perception here is that they are suddenly blocking. Not true. It's just that in the past, they didn't lock the door because nobody was trying to raid the henhouse.

Think about it, if it was all locked down before the Pre came out, and the Pre didn't sync with iTunes (like the zillions of other phones out there), we wouldn't be having the "blocked" discussion. We might be complaining that only iPods/iPhones could use iTunes, but it wouldn't be a Palm/Apple feud.

Second point, Apple uses iTunes to make their devices easier to use and more appealing to customers, and this drives sales of the devices. This is why it's in their interest to keep competitor's devices from using that capability. The money they make on the actual music sales is peanuts compared to the device sales. So for Apple, device integration is what they want to protect. They could care less about music sales from a competitor's small portion of the market.

I don't necessarily agree with this, just pointing out the facts.

And it's worth noting, that Apple has an open/free API that any company can use to sync their devices to a customer's iTunes music library. This is exactly what RIM does for Blackberry devices. Palm can create their own music/sync app too, and it would be with Apple's blessing. But Palm chose not to take this approach.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast