Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    I have not upgraded my iTunes and am still using version 8 since hearing that the new versions block the Pre. It's cool cause I can also still download podcasts from iTunes and put them on my Pre.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    First of all, Apple is not really "blocking" the Pre. They are enforcing the USB specs so that only Apple devices use the software, which has been their goal all along (so if you have to complain about something, that's the real target, not the recent spat with Palm).

It's Apple's fault they were originally leaving the barn door open so someone like Palm could sneak in. Now they locked the barn door, and the general perception here is that they are suddenly blocking. Not true. It's just that in the past, they didn't lock the door because nobody was trying to raid the henhouse.

Think about it, if it was all locked down before the Pre came out, and the Pre didn't sync with iTunes (like the zillions of other phones out there), we wouldn't be having the "blocked" discussion. We might be complaining that only iPods/iPhones could use iTunes, but it wouldn't be a Palm/Apple feud.

Second point, Apple uses iTunes to make their devices easier to use and more appealing to customers, and this drives sales of the devices. This is why it's in their interest to keep competitor's devices from using that capability. The money they make on the actual music sales is peanuts compared to the device sales. So for Apple, device integration is what they want to protect. They could care less about music sales from a competitor's small portion of the market.

I don't necessarily agree with this, just pointing out the facts.

And it's worth noting, that Apple has an open/free API that any company can use to sync their devices to a customer's iTunes music library. This is exactly what RIM does for Blackberry devices. Palm can create their own music/sync app too, and it would be with Apple's blessing. But Palm chose not to take this approach.
    I like your approach here...its a good explanation of the benefits and downfalls, exactly what I was hoping to achieve with this discussion. Still, it does nothing more then to drive me from iTunes.

I think the way forward would be for Palm to develop an app for that exchange of music. I understand their desire to fight and create controversy for the sake of a more "open" environment, but it seems that will be fruitless, at least for the time being.

Until then, drag and drop its going to be for now till I have the the opportunity to really evaluate some alternatives.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    Over 8.5 billion songs sold and they make peanuts? Even if they made 50 cents a track that 4.25 billion in revenue.

Itunes is a part of the Mac OS just liek WMP is a part of Windows. If Microsoft only allowed their devices to sync with WMP I wonder what people would say.
    This is also a very good point. They don't make much sure (even with low per track charges a number in the BILLIONS is nothing to scoff at)...but all musical artists know (being one myself) that iTunes is a must have outlet for distribution of your music, lest you want to severely limit yourself.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms_Kady View Post
    I have not upgraded my iTunes and am still using version 8 since hearing that the new versions block the Pre. It's cool cause I can also still download podcasts from iTunes and put them on my Pre.
    ya, no question about it, made a serious mistake there by upgrading. I didn't do it intentionally, but cest la vie. I should of being paying closer attention to my crazy incessant clicking. Perhaps I should give the Mountain Dew a rest...
    Quote Originally Posted by IamHydrogen View Post
    ya, no question about it, made a serious mistake there by upgrading. I didn't do it intentionally, but cest la vie. I should of being paying closer attention to my crazy incessant clicking. Perhaps I should give the Mountain Dew a rest...
    Just go redownload the older version...

Uninstall version 9.0XXX and then go here and download version 8.2.1

Apple - Downloads - iPod + iTunes - iTunes 8.2.1 for Windows

it will sync with the Pre still.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    Just go redownload the older version...

Uninstall version 9.0XXX and then go here and download version 8.2.1

Apple - Downloads - iPod + iTunes - iTunes 8.2.1 for Windows

it will sync with the Pre still.
    Yup, I'm going to do this. I have to erase all the registry info correct? The best way to go about this is as stated earlier in this post? Someone know what ones exactly need to be erased and the paths?
    Quote Originally Posted by IamHydrogen View Post
    Yup, I'm going to do this. I have to erase all the registry info correct? The best way to go about this is as stated earlier in this post? Someone know what ones exactly need to be erased and the paths?
    I could be wrong but I believe if you completely uninstall the itunes program and then reboot and install the older version it should work without having to do that...

anyone have experience otherwise...I havent even attempted the 9.0XXX version. Itunes stinks anyways...just use it cause I'm too lazy to download anything else at the moment.

I have been slacking on downloading music as I am cheap, and govt and music industry lawyers are cracking down on music downloads. so havent used IMesh, BearShare, Napster, or anything in quite a bit.
  8. fid
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    Over 8.5 billion songs sold and they make peanuts? Even if they made 50 cents a track that 4.25 billion in revenue.

Itunes is a part of the Mac OS just liek WMP is a part of Windows. If Microsoft only allowed their devices to sync with WMP I wonder what people would say.
    But they don't. It's been reported that ~ 80% of an track sale is paid to licensing, leaving Apple with the rest to pay for little things like, programming, servers, power, T3's, you know ... minor expenses. He's not saying they haven't made money, they just are not profiting off of 'Pre' ownership by providing a few songs to their owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms_Kady View Post
    And Ms_Kady, more should follow your lead and stop complaining about the iTunes issue.

Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    First of all, Apple is not really "blocking" the Pre. They are enforcing the USB specs so that only Apple devices use the software, which has been their goal all along (so if you have to complain about something, that's the real target, not the recent spat with Palm).
    s219, I hope you have this in your copy/paste buffer. You are fighting the tough fight here.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fid View Post
    But they don't. It's been reported that ~ 80% of an track sale is paid to licensing, leaving Apple with the rest to pay for little things like, programming, servers, power, T3's, you know ... minor expenses.
    The NARIP reports that Apple gets 34 cents of every 99 cent song purchase.

56 goes to record companies. 10 goes to the artist.
  10. fid
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pupator View Post
    The NARIP reports that Apple gets 34 cents of every 99 cent song purchase.

56 goes to record companies. 10 goes to the artist.
    Thanks for the correction Pupator. This seems to correspond roughly with the general analysis on the tubes as well...

Wholesale cost (music): 69 cents.
    Network fees: 5 cents.
    Transaction fees: 10 cents.
    Operating expenses: 5 cents.

Profit per song: 10 cents.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12