Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi All -

I've been an iPhone user for the past two years. I've had the original iPhone, and more recently the 3G.

When I first got the iPhone, I absolutely loved it. However, in the nearly three years they have been out, the user interface and functionality has stayed basically the same. Yes, there a ton of apps, but the interface feels old. The lack of true multi-tasking, and the way the phone operates bothers me.

I made the mistake of playing around with a Palm Pre in the Sprint Store last week. I have to say, I'm absolutely impressed with Web OS. It seems like a very simple, elegant, but powerful mobile OS.

However, I have a few hang-ups, and I want to address them before I move over. I'm on a family plan with AT&T, and would likely end up having to leave my future wife with AT&T (her choice).

Overall, for people who have had the Pre for a while, how do you like it? Would you recommend it to someone? Have you had any serious issues? I ask because I recently went through exchanging my iPhone 3G due to cracks on the housing (all over the phone). I don't want to trade one problem for another, similar, problem.

I'm just looking for feedback. I'm tired of throwing money away to AT&T, but I don't want to move if peoples' experience with Sprint is just as bad.

Thank you in advance!
    First question is, where are you located, and how is Sprints coverage in that area?

If Sprint has the same and/or better coverage than AT&T, then you should be looking to change as it will be cheaper.

Now as far as for the PRE itself, Im sure you have heard the stories of hardware issues, heating and leakage. Ive had my PRE since day one, and have not experience any of these, all I have is normal wear and tear that would be expected.

WebOs has been highly impressive, the new update has added more functionalities to the phone that people were clamoring for(Wonder how all those people that got rid of the PRE within the 30 days feel now). Nevertheless I would check the above suggestions first, if Sprint has good coverage in your area....go to a store and maybe "test drive" a PRE to see how you really like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaphora68 View Post
    Hi All -

I've been an iPhone user for the past two years. I've had the original iPhone, and more recently the 3G.

When I first got the iPhone, I absolutely loved it. However, in the nearly three years they have been out, the user interface and functionality has stayed basically the same. Yes, there a ton of apps, but the interface feels old. The lack of true multi-tasking, and the way the phone operates bothers me.

I made the mistake of playing around with a Palm Pre in the Sprint Store last week. I have to say, I'm absolutely impressed with Web OS. It seems like a very simple, elegant, but powerful mobile OS.

However, I have a few hang-ups, and I want to address them before I move over. I'm on a family plan with AT&T, and would likely end up having to leave my future wife with AT&T (her choice).

Overall, for people who have had the Pre for a while, how do you like it? Would you recommend it to someone? Have you had any serious issues? I ask because I recently went through exchanging my iPhone 3G due to cracks on the housing (all over the phone). I don't want to trade one problem for another, similar, problem.

I'm just looking for feedback. I'm tired of throwing money away to AT&T, but I don't want to move if peoples' experience with Sprint is just as bad.

Thank you in advance!
    I'm on my 3rd phone... every time I've swapped has been due to a speaker issue. My first phone was rock solid, but the earpiece went out. My 2nd phone was rock solid, but the external speaker went out. My 3rd phone IS rock solid, and I'm hoping to have no issues with it from here on out. Palm seems to have lowered the max volume the external speaker can put out with WebOS 1.2, so I don't think it'll happen again, knock on wood. Otherwise, the phone is tremendous, and I can proudly report with WebOS 1.2, standby battery usage has improved dramatically, I've been monitoring it quite a bit, and standby battery usage improving translates to more time actually using the phone, meaning you'll feel an overall improvement. There are still little issues, the browser has some memory management issues with this release, but nothing that would keep me from recommending this phone to anyone, and nothing that can't be ironed out with a minor update. They are updating the phone all the time and adding functionality, so if you don't mind being an early adopter(and since you've had an original iPhone I think you understand), and waiting for the features to come out, go for it. Video recording will hopefully be ready by the end of the year, that's the only big thing left for me for this phone, and then I'll be really happy.
    I'm just about to jump ship from AT&T. Just a week or two ago I went back to BlackBerry after using iPhone 3G for a little over a year (just got bored with it, all the little things finally built up to a point where I couldn't take it anymore). I have issues w/ AT&T's service with some dropped calls, so I'm sure Sprint can't be that much worse *knock on wood*.

I ordered my Pre on Amazon, and am currently impatiently awaiting its arrival .
    I have seen more and more that some of my Iphone friends, are noticing the PRE alot more when they actually see me use it. Its alot different hands on, then from just what you see on tv.

My one friend is a huge Linux fan, and wishes he could switch to PRE as it has more options for him to tinker with.

Im not saying the Iphone has hit a wall at what it can do......I just think if you want something new, sky is the limit right now with a PRE.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Hi All -

Here's a bunch of little answers for you from a satisfied/dissatisfied Pre user that still carries around their disabled iPhone. (I grabbed these themes of your post)

If you are switching because of:

Multitasking-Definitely the biggest deal with the Pre. It's not something I "need" but the fact that it's there gives it a gigantic leg up on the iPhone.

Speed- I think people are figuring out why the pre is so slow. The memory speed. Compared to the 3G you'll get similar speeds (which is why multitasking is a huge boost for the Pre argument), but compared to the 3GS this thing is slow.

Bored of Interface- To be honest, this is a stupid reason for me because it feels like the Mac vs Win argument. If you want to show off to your friends then great, OS X "looks" better, but in the end 95% of your work is done within apps. Computers and Phones aren't anything but tools so what should really matter is how efficient your workflow is and what programs are available on each platform. As a Mac user then I don't have all the stuff Windows users can, BUT I have what I need so I'm very happy. With the Pre then I'm still waiting on the programs I need.

Apps- Apps are a major reason I still carry around my old iPhone because the Pre has almost nothing of value in terms of apps... YET. Time wil tell how successful apps will be on this platform but considering Apple has huge user base, dev support and a head start then who knows how long we need to be "patient".

Service- Sprint vs ATT is a no brainer for most. Sprint costs significantly less, offers significantly more and the quality for most areas is fantastic. ATT has always sucked for me.

Durability- The iPhone is a pretty tough device for something with a giant screen. If you managed to crack your iPhone you most likely will crack your Pre. The Pre plastic is solid but pretty cheap in many areas.

So that's my opinion on it. I do like my Pre but I definitely got over the 'OMG it's so cooool" thing within a week and went back to carrying my iPhone because I felt it's superior in terms of apps, media, games and camera (photos on both 3G and Pre aren't great but the iPhone photo apps can produce deceptively amazing stuff).

Good Luck.
    I have had my pre since day one. I love it. Any iphone I ever touch I try to swipe up to close and swipe back. The interface on the iphone is old school now. The palm pre is whats new and will take over, with time I think. Yes it doesn't have alot of apps, but the abilities that come with this phone are limitless. Palm Pre is Linux, you can do anything you want to it.

Hardware issues aside, I had a slight battery issue on my first phone after 2 months of use, sprint replaced it no questions asked. My refurb that I got had a bad volume control. So I asked for a new one, a they got me one with a little assistance. I even managed to get extras of everything.

Sprint is a Cheap Reliable provider. You will save a LARGE amount yearly on the cost of the pre. My signal is fine, I have some issues when in lower level large buildings, but nothing to say don't go with Sprint.

This phone is unreal. Switch!
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Dude (or lady), the Pre is awesome. I'm a little new to the smartphone market and I was going for the iPhone in a big way. I even told the Besy Buy guy he was an ***** when he said the Pre was better. Then I started doing my homework. If I saw that guy again I'd appoligize to him because he was 100% right. I haven't had 1 problem with this phone since I stated using it (unlike some others, but no one I've met). Everyone sees my phone and is instantly jelous, even the iPhone lovers. If Sprint has good coverage where you are (this should be the most important factor in your decision) you should definately go for the Pre, no question about it.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Here's a bunch of little answers for you from a satisfied/dissatisfied Pre user that still carries around their disabled iPhone. (I grabbed these themes of your post)

If you are switching because of:

Multitasking-Definitely the biggest deal with the Pre. It's not something I "need" but the fact that it's there gives it a gigantic leg up on the iPhone.

Speed- I think people are figuring out why the pre is so slow. The memory speed. Compared to the 3G you'll get similar speeds (which is why multitasking is a huge boost for the Pre argument), but compared to the 3GS this thing is slow.

Bored of Interface- To be honest, this is a stupid reason for me because it feels like the Mac vs Win argument. If you want to show off to your friends then great, OS X "looks" better, but in the end 95% of your work is done within apps. Computers and Phones aren't anything but tools so what should really matter is how efficient your workflow is and what programs are available on each platform. As a Mac user then I don't have all the stuff Windows users can, BUT I have what I need so I'm very happy. With the Pre then I'm still waiting on the programs I need.

Apps- Apps are a major reason I still carry around my old iPhone because the Pre has almost nothing of value in terms of apps... YET. Time wil tell how successful apps will be on this platform but considering Apple has huge user base, dev support and a head start then who knows how long we need to be "patient".

Service- Sprint vs ATT is a no brainer for most. Sprint costs significantly less, offers significantly more and the quality for most areas is fantastic. ATT has always sucked for me.

Durability- The iPhone is a pretty tough device for something with a giant screen. If you managed to crack your iPhone you most likely will crack your Pre. The Pre plastic is solid but pretty cheap in many areas.

So that's my opinion on it. I do like my Pre but I definitely got over the 'OMG it's so cooool" thing within a week and went back to carrying my iPhone because I felt it's superior in terms of apps, media, games and camera (photos on both 3G and Pre aren't great but the iPhone photo apps can produce deceptively amazing stuff).

Good Luck.
    Thank you for the feedback!

I live in Philadelphia. As far as service goes, it makes no difference. They're just as good. I know if I go out into more rural areas, it's hit or miss. Honestly though, it's hit or mess with everyone but Verizon.
    I also made the switch from iPhone over to the Pre and I have say I wish I hadn't! Just about every Pre out there has dead pixels all over the screens (many have 5+), Sprint customer service on the phone is about as lousy as it gets (ghetto phone reps who want to get you off the phone as quickly as they answered the call), it's just a total nightmare! I took my phone into Sprint last night to get mine replaced as I just bought it a few days ago and the phone they swapped it out with had over 10 dead pixels on the screen...I just couldn't believe it! Now I have no phone because they were unable to swap me back to the one I had brought it that had much fewer problems then the one they swapped me with. I have to go back today to see if the manager can reverse what was done lastnight. A lot of people don't notice dead pixels because they use their phones in bright light, outside etc...however I work at night out on the road in my car and dead pixels on LCD screens shine like bright stars when you are in a dark room, outside at night, etc...for some reason a lot of people on here think I'm being picky. I like my electronics to be built right, using quality products, not faulty ones. If they want to keep a phone that has all these problems that's their business, but I have much higher standards then this and refuse to except anything less. Let's face it...an $599.99-$749.99 phone should NOT have dead pixels on their screens! There is no argument that anyone can say to change my mind on this.

The entire experience for me has been a total nightmare-I've never seen a phone with so many poor build qualities before in my life! Also just to give you a heads up...more then likely when you close the slider on your phone after you send an email or sms off your phone will reboot due to the force of the slider when closing it and the faulty battery inside the phone, that was another reason why I needed to get mine replaced People here will probably flame me for saying all this but don't hate the messenger, proof is all over the web by doing a google search about what I'm saying, I'm not making it up.

Good luck...you will need it, seriously!
    SPRINT...the carrier I never thought I'd switch to (and didn't lol)!
    First off congratulations on the engagement! I have been a pre owner since June 6th or the first day of the public launch. I am a huge mac fan & have wanted an iphone since it's release. However, I am no longer jealous with the Pre release. WebOs is amazing and I love the keyboard. Some people have had issues with the slider rocking back & forth (oreo effect) and other issues. No phone is perfect. I personally have had no problem with mine. I would still recommend giving it the 30 day trial. Don't port your number until you are sure it's the phone for you. Biggest thing may be if Sprint works good in your area. Good luck and welcome aboard if you stay with the Pre!
    I've got an iPhone 3g and a Pre.. and I play a few games on the iPhone (wish they'd come out on the Pre) and use it for work email mainly.. I forward the calls to the Pre.. and use the Pre for everything else. When an app comes out on the Pre that can replace the app on the iPhone, then it goes from iPhone to Pre..
    I agree with titansluvpre that you first need to do some research and find out how good Sprint is in your area. We tried to do this initially, but ended up purchasing our Pre without finding anyone on Sprint using all that Smartphone technology.

For us, the transition from Verizon (Palm Treos) to Sprint (Palm Pre) went perfectly. Our month bill increased by about $20/month on Sprint, but that includes everything plan where Verizon only provided Phone and Text on our Treos. We do a lot of traveling on back roads between cities and service can be spotty but thankfully much better or no worse then it was with Verizon.

In relation to the Pre, we love it!!! I have a number of clients who use iPhones and get terrible service from ATT...which makes no since to me (why keep a service where you can't even use the phone to make and receive calls half the time)??? I literally can stand next to my clients iPhone 3G and get 5-bars where she gets none in her office...

If you use things like Google and Facebook, you'll love Synergy and how it maps and coordinates everything together. Web browsing is fantastic and the recent release of 1.2 of WebOS added some needed additions like Copy and Paste while browsing (took Apple two years to provide this) and right click functionality to download images, open links in a new window, etc. Multitasking is by far the Palm Pre best feature. I can check email, browse the web, listen to Pandora, etc all at the same time and not think twice about it.

When it comes to Apps...Palm is making progress and when they finally get some apps that everyone has been waiting on (slingplayer, true facebook, etc) it will be able to hang with everyone else including the iPhone.

Let me ask you a questions, what Apps would you like to take with you from your iPhone?

I have a bunch of clients using iPhone, but none of them use much else besides what relates to their specialty. Like for instance, one of them is a Radiologist who uses Epocrates on a regular basis, but that is it. Either way, things like Epocrates is on the way and I suspect many other of the 70K apps on iPhone are slowly making their transition over to WebOS and the Palm Pre. Sorli...
    OP: I, for one, am extremely satisfied. Palm has done a great job with the phone and OS. The physical keyboard is great and very useable (I was a skeptic of it in the beginning).

Moreover, Sprint is really a top-notch carrier. First carrier I have been activelu happy with (and not just indifferent about). They gave me a $50 refund on the Pre following the price drop (I was 40 days out). They added Any Mobile to my plan, free. Plus I get my plan VERY cheap. Protip: sign up for your plan at sprint.com/alliant you get a 25% discount on plans.

Sprint and the Pre come highly recommended from me.
    I've played the phone game with the original iPhone and iPhone 3g, then moved to T-Mobile for the android and G1, and now I'm happy with a pre. The build quality on the iphone is something that you're going to find next to impossible to beat, but the pre to me feels solid. It's in it's infancy as far as software and hardware development goes, but I'm expecting this platform to grow. If you're used to the candybar style of the iPhone you may even want to wait for the Pixi -- just a thought. As far as providers go, I'd rate customer service T-Mobile -> Sprint -> AT&T. As far as coverage and speed goes, I'd rank it Sprint -> AT&T -> T-Mobile. T-Mobile has the very best customer service, Sprint has been fine so far to me and it's considerably less expensive than both AT&T and T-Mobile..but I have a feeling once you get away from the iPhone you'll be happy. I'd say take the jump.
    Quote Originally Posted by swissarmy View Post
    First off congratulations on the engagement! I have been a pre owner since June 6th or the first day of the public launch. I am a huge mac fan & have wanted an iphone since it's release. However, I am no longer jealous with the Pre release. WebOs is amazing and I love the keyboard. Some people have had issues with the slider rocking back & forth (oreo effect) and other issues. No phone is perfect. I personally have had no problem with mine. I would still recommend giving it the 30 day trial. Don't port your number until you are sure it's the phone for you. Biggest thing may be if Sprint works good in your area. Good luck and welcome aboard if you stay with the Pre!
    Good advice and also what we did holding our phone #s and porting things over after we figured out Sprint worked perfectly in our area.

I live in Philadelphia. As far as service goes, it makes no difference. They're just as good. I know if I go out into more rural areas, it's hit or miss. Honestly though, it's hit or mess with everyone but Verizon.
    We live in the same general area. And Sprint is absolutely fine in the Philly area. You will know the spots where you will have issues.

So that knocks out your service question. Now as far as the PRE not having as many apps, well its all dependant on what you use. Best thing for you to do is to look at a list of the APPs in the app catalog....and surely stop in the Homebrew forum here. You can get a general idea of what apps are there, and see if there is anything dire that you need that is missing.

Otherwise, it sounds like a PRE would be a great phone for you.

I am not a Pre user, but I am using a Palm Centro on Sprint. As a Sprint customer, I have free roaming on the Verizon digital network, so in theory, I have better coverage than if I were on Verizon. On Verizon data roaming, though, I would be on a lower speed (1x?).
    Quote Originally Posted by Dayvidpriddy View Post
    I also made the switch from iPhone over to the Pre and I have say I wish I hadn't! Just about every Pre out there has dead pixels all over the screens (many have 5+), Sprint customer service on the phone is about as lousy as it gets (ghetto phone reps who want to get you off the phone as quickly as they answered the call), it's just a total nightmare! I took my phone into Sprint last night to get mine replaced as I just bought it a few days ago and the phone they swapped it out with had over 10 dead pixels on the screen...I just couldn't believe it! Now I have no phone because they were unable to swap me back to the one I had brought it that had much fewer problems then the one they swapped me with. I have to go back today to see if the manager can reverse what was done lastnight. A lot of people don't notice dead pixels because they use their phones in bright light, outside etc...however I work at night out on the road in my car and dead pixels on LCD screens shine like bright stars when you are in a dark room, outside at night, etc...for some reason a lot of people on here think I'm being picky. I like my electronics to be built right, using quality products, not faulty ones. If they want to keep a phone that has all these problems that's their business, but I have much higher standards then this and refuse to except anything less. Let's face it...an $599.99-$749.99 phone should NOT have dead pixels on their screens! There is no argument that anyone can say to change my mind on this.

The entire experience for me has been a total nightmare-I've never seen a phone with so many poor build qualities before in my life! Also just to give you a heads up...more then likely when you close the slider on your phone after you send an email or sms off your phone will reboot due to the force of the slider when closing it and the faulty battery inside the phone, that was another reason why I needed to get mine replaced People here will probably flame me for saying all this but don't hate the messenger, proof is all over the web by doing a google search about what I'm saying, I'm not making it up.

Good luck...you will need it, seriously!
    sprint does have a 30 days money back don't they? So if your unhappy with the phone return it and go back to your father luke
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    I don't know if I would call it bored, just that after using the Pre and gestures, iPhone/iPod Touch navigation seem archaic. It is so much slower to get around and it really annoys me after using a Pre. Why should you move your finger up to the top, just to go back?
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast