Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 58 of 58
  1. #41  
    I switched from the AT&T/Iphone to a Sprint/Pre. Leaving AT&T was probably the easiest part of the decision. I thought AT&T was so unreliable, I would drop calls even with 3-4 bars. I haven't been on Sprint that long, less than 2 months but so far it is an improvement over AT&T.

    As for the Pre...I definitely like WebOS better than the Iphone OS. The Iphone had more Apps (none of which I really needed) and I think the hardware felt more solid. Other than that ....the Pre is a much better smartphone in terms of functionality.
  2. #42  
    The best part of having a Palm Pre is your payments for 99 a month. You have unlimited mins,messaging,data,navigation,etc. Iphone is like 99 for the mins alone. 20 bucks for the unlimited texting. 30 bucks for unlimited data. 7 bucks for the navigation. Its ridicious. Your phone bill is gonna be 238 dollars..thats like a car payment for a 2008 Hyundai Elantra
  3. #43  
    If you are switching sign up under the Employee referral program and get 20 bucks/month off any bill. We signed up for the Everything data/text with two phone for 109/month
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by MissG View Post
    I live in Philly too. I have no problems in the city. My parents & some of my sibs live in Lancaster county & I have no service issues there either. When they lived in Parkesburg, however, I got NO service, not even roaming.

    I like my Pre. I have a Touch, my fiance has a Iphone. I just NEED a physical keyboard, and I like the way the Pre feels in my hand better. I have a million apps on my Touch that I've used, maybe once or twice (except for when I was OBSESSED w/ Cake Mania). I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. I still need my Touch for my whole music library (haven't felt like converting it), but other than that I only use it for the Kindle app now. I also love not being confined to Itunes in order to put music on my phone. My job blocks Itunes, but we have the Windows Media player & I can use that to swap CDs w/ coworkers & put music on the Pre.
    My wife and her family is from Lancaster County! Me and my wife live in Central florida but her family still lives there.

    OP: You will love the Pre. It is a good phone to work with. I Have been with sprint for 10 years and am extremely happy with the service. I am a former (kinda still use) winmo fan. I came from a Touch Pro and the Pre dominates in just about every category. Well good luck to you and hope you make the switch!.......Hey before you switch....MSG me about you using me as a referral...we both get free money!! lol
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by anaphora68 View Post
    Alright guys, I pulled the trigger. I didn't port my number, but I'm looking at a shiny, new Pre. It's downloading 1.2.0 right now.

    So far, so good. I'll post my impressions later, once I've left work and I'm at home.
    You are now officially welcomed to the forum lol
  6.    #46  
    Well, I've been using the phone for a few hours. I figured out what was wrong with Sprint. I had to call and activate the phone for use on the wireless network.

    So, using it side by side with my iPhone 3G, the experience has been interesting. There's a learning curve to Web OS, but I really like it so far. It's snappy, I like the cards interface, and I am really getting a kick out of Synergy.

    I don't see everyone's complaints about the app catalog. Sure, it's in beta still, but it has some solid apps, at least for what I need for now. Like I said, I only use a few apps on a daily basis on the iPhone. A Facebook app would be nice, but I know that's coming.

    Battery life is not great, but I haven't conditioned the battery at all yet. If it becomes a problem, I'll have Sprint switch it out.

    Sprint's service is solid in Philadelphia. I'm venturing out of the city this weekend, so we'll see what happens at that point.

    Build quality is ok. It's a slider, so I knew it wasn't going to be rock solid. I like the feel of the phone. Size is perfect. I don't mind the smaller screen. It's sharper, and the font is perfect.

    That's it for now. Overall, I'm happy.
  7. #47  
    I think the fun starts when you start adding patches (tweaks) and themes through Preware. Things like that are very easy to install through Preware, as is Preware itself. Small things like a digital battery status, date next to the clock on all menus, forced roaming, 4 or 5 icons across on the launcher, etc. I also downloaded Agenda which I feel give a better at a glance view than the built in calendar app. I also like the option to turn off Network Data Usage when I'm at work all day with Wifi to really extend the battery life. The biggest dealmaker with me was the ease of use in dialing my GoogleVoice number through GDialer for free calling along with Pick 5. I barely use any of my minutes now. I'm sure you'll enjoy your Pre!
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by anaphora68 View Post
    Well, I've been using the phone for a few hours. I figured out what was wrong with Sprint. I had to call and activate the phone for use on the wireless network.

    So, using it side by side with my iPhone 3G, the experience has been interesting. There's a learning curve to Web OS, but I really like it so far. It's snappy, I like the cards interface, and I am really getting a kick out of Synergy.

    I don't see everyone's complaints about the app catalog. Sure, it's in beta still, but it has some solid apps, at least for what I need for now. Like I said, I only use a few apps on a daily basis on the iPhone. A Facebook app would be nice, but I know that's coming.

    Battery life is not great, but I haven't conditioned the battery at all yet. If it becomes a problem, I'll have Sprint switch it out.

    Sprint's service is solid in Philadelphia. I'm venturing out of the city this weekend, so we'll see what happens at that point.

    Build quality is ok. It's a slider, so I knew it wasn't going to be rock solid. I like the feel of the phone. Size is perfect. I don't mind the smaller screen. It's sharper, and the font is perfect.

    That's it for now. Overall, I'm happy.
    You know what I like about you Anaphora, you actually did a little research before you bought the phone. You questioned users about the pros and cons of the device, and went into the purchase having an understanding about what the phone could, and could not, do.

    You will not be one of the ****** bags that makes worthless posts complaining the phone doesn't do everything they expected. For that I salute you sir.
  9.    #49  
    It's a big decision to get a phone, and switch carriers. You end up stuck with it for up to two years, or paying a large amount of money to break a contract if it's not the right choice, which might very well be the case for my iPhone 3G, and possibly my fiance's.

    The Pre's not perfect, but I like it, and so far, I can live with its flaws. Luckily, most of the issues the phone has can be dealt with through software updates and apps. I'm placing some degree of confidence that Palm won't **** this up, and will support the platform.

    It's a matter of taste with phones. Each one has flaws, pluses, and quirks. We'll see if I made the right choice in a few weeks.

    Anyone else reading this, I would say my network coverage with Sprint in Philadelphia is just as good as AT&T's coverage. In some cases, I have better coverage. I'm not going overseas with my phone, so I don't care about GSM at this point.

    Either way, I thank everyone on this thread. You all helped me reach my decision, and I'll post my observations after a few days.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dayvidpriddy View Post
    Just about every Pre out there has dead pixels all over the screens (many have 5+),
    At best, an incorrect assumption on your part; at worst, simply a lie. I know several people locally that have Pre's, and none them have any dead pixels. The "just about every" is a vast exaggeration.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dayvidpriddy View Post
    Sprint customer service on the phone is about as lousy as it gets (ghetto phone reps who want to get you off the phone as quickly as they answered the call), it's just a total nightmare!
    Your experience, and it may be true (or not); but that's not the experience from everyone. There have been many reports on this forum about improved customer service. I've had sprint for several years, and have had virtually no problems with customer service.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dayvidpriddy View Post
    I took my phone into Sprint last night to get mine replaced as I just bought it a few days ago and the phone they swapped it out with had over 10 dead pixels on the screen...I just couldn't believe it! Now I have no phone because they were unable to swap me back to the one I had brought it that had much fewer problems then the one they swapped me with. I have to go back today to see if the manager can reverse what was done lastnight. A lot of people don't notice dead pixels because they use their phones in bright light, outside etc...however I work at night out on the road in my car and dead pixels on LCD screens shine like bright stars when you are in a dark room, outside at night, etc...for some reason a lot of people on here think I'm being picky. I like my electronics to be built right, using quality products, not faulty ones. If they want to keep a phone that has all these problems that's their business, but I have much higher standards then this and refuse to except anything less. Let's face it...an $599.99-$749.99 phone should NOT have dead pixels on their screens! There is no argument that anyone can say to change my mind on this.

    The entire experience for me has been a total nightmare-I've never seen a phone with so many poor build qualities before in my life! Also just to give you a heads up...more then likely when you close the slider on your phone after you send an email or sms off your phone will reboot due to the force of the slider when closing it and the faulty battery inside the phone, that was another reason why I needed to get mine replaced People here will probably flame me for saying all this but don't hate the messenger, proof is all over the web by doing a google search about what I'm saying, I'm not making it up.

    Good luck...you will need it, seriously!
    Again, your experience does not necessarily reflect everyone else's. I use my phone in the dark constantly, it has no dead pixels. I've never had it reset from closing it. You're not being overly picky, but the fact that you are overgeneralizaing from your anectdotal experience puts your entire post in a bad light...
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by anaphora68 View Post
    Well, I've been using the phone for a few hours. I figured out what was wrong with Sprint. I had to call and activate the phone for use on the wireless network.

    So, using it side by side with my iPhone 3G, the experience has been interesting. There's a learning curve to Web OS, but I really like it so far. It's snappy, I like the cards interface, and I am really getting a kick out of Synergy.

    I don't see everyone's complaints about the app catalog. Sure, it's in beta still, but it has some solid apps, at least for what I need for now. Like I said, I only use a few apps on a daily basis on the iPhone. A Facebook app would be nice, but I know that's coming.

    Battery life is not great, but I haven't conditioned the battery at all yet. If it becomes a problem, I'll have Sprint switch it out.

    Sprint's service is solid in Philadelphia. I'm venturing out of the city this weekend, so we'll see what happens at that point.

    Build quality is ok. It's a slider, so I knew it wasn't going to be rock solid. I like the feel of the phone. Size is perfect. I don't mind the smaller screen. It's sharper, and the font is perfect.

    That's it for now. Overall, I'm happy.
    I have to say, this is one of the few genuinely fair (in my opinion) comparisons by a new user. I think you're going to be happy, either way you go.
  12. #52  
    I read about the dead pixels and the slider killing the phone. Mine has neither of those issue.

    I switched over from a touch pro. It had at least 2 clusters of dead pixels, but the screen resolution on it was so high, you didn't notice unless your really searched.

    The Tpro keyboards are wayyy looser and some "oreo" more than any pre I've seen.

    The pre lacks in apps for now. I sync exchange and gmail and with the messaging hacks and stuff, that is all great.

    I was (and still am) a huge Win Mobile fan. There are some highly skilled programmers in that arena that crank out some really superior programs. Those are the items I miss the most. The pre has serious potential. It's new and has had several updates already. Um, I can't think of the last time MS released a REAL update for Win Mo that was actually worth the time and effort. 6.1 to 6.5. Um, one must wonder what has taken several years to do? Palm did more with OS updates in 3 months than MS did in 2 years.
    Of course, the big difference is: WebOS and Pre/Pixi is Palm's future. They're betting the bank on it. MS is scattered and disorganized and Win Mo fell by the wayside. Knowing Palm is focusing ONLY on "1" task means to me that you're almost guaranteed improvements.

    Once other carriers pick it up, the sky is the limit for Palm if they handle it correctly.

    I only played with an Iphone right after they first came out and chuckled. It seemed toyish to me and I never cared to play with one again. I can't speak from that side of the opinion scale.
    Last edited by Compusmurf; 10/03/2009 at 01:09 AM. Reason: lol, added spacing and such. wow that was messy.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Here's a bunch of little answers for you from a satisfied/dissatisfied Pre user that still carries around their disabled iPhone. (I grabbed these themes of your post)

    If you are switching because of:

    Multitasking-Definitely the biggest deal with the Pre. It's not something I "need" but the fact that it's there gives it a gigantic leg up on the iPhone.

    Speed- I think people are figuring out why the pre is so slow. The memory speed. Compared to the 3G you'll get similar speeds (which is why multitasking is a huge boost for the Pre argument), but compared to the 3GS this thing is slow.

    Bored of Interface- To be honest, this is a stupid reason for me because it feels like the Mac vs Win argument. If you want to show off to your friends then great, OS X "looks" better, but in the end 95% of your work is done within apps. Computers and Phones aren't anything but tools so what should really matter is how efficient your workflow is and what programs are available on each platform. As a Mac user then I don't have all the stuff Windows users can, BUT I have what I need so I'm very happy. With the Pre then I'm still waiting on the programs I need.

    Apps- Apps are a major reason I still carry around my old iPhone because the Pre has almost nothing of value in terms of apps... YET. Time wil tell how successful apps will be on this platform but considering Apple has huge user base, dev support and a head start then who knows how long we need to be "patient".

    Service- Sprint vs ATT is a no brainer for most. Sprint costs significantly less, offers significantly more and the quality for most areas is fantastic. ATT has always sucked for me.

    Durability- The iPhone is a pretty tough device for something with a giant screen. If you managed to crack your iPhone you most likely will crack your Pre. The Pre plastic is solid but pretty cheap in many areas.


    So that's my opinion on it. I do like my Pre but I definitely got over the 'OMG it's so cooool" thing within a week and went back to carrying my iPhone because I felt it's superior in terms of apps, media, games and camera (photos on both 3G and Pre aren't great but the iPhone photo apps can produce deceptively amazing stuff).

    Good Luck.

    Cannot agree with the speed issue, the 3GS and Pre both house the same CPU and memory. With the addition of 1.2 the Pre is about the same if not faster then the 3GS. It's also been proven it's faster over wi-fi and evdo loading web.
    Preware & WebOS Internals Supporter
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Main_Page

    IRC chat
    #webos-internals
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by Compusmurf View Post
    I read about the dead pixels and the slider killing the phone. Mine has neither of those issue.

    I switched over from a touch pro. It had at least 2 clusters of dead pixels, but the screen resolution on it was so high, you didn't notice unless your really searched.

    The Tpro keyboards are wayyy looser and some "oreo" more than any pre I've seen.

    The pre lacks in apps for now. I sync exchange and gmail and with the messaging hacks and stuff, that is all great.

    I was (and still am) a huge Win Mobile fan. There are some highly skilled programmers in that arena that crank out some really superior programs. Those are the items I miss the most. The pre has serious potential. It's new and has had several updates already. Um, I can't think of the last time MS released a REAL update for Win Mo that was actually worth the time and effort. 6.1 to 6.5. Um, one must wonder what has taken several years to do? Palm did more with OS updates in 3 months than MS did in 2 years.
    Of course, the big difference is: WebOS and Pre/Pixi is Palm's future. They're betting the bank on it. MS is scattered and disorganized and Win Mo fell by the wayside. Knowing Palm is focusing ONLY on "1" task means to me that you're almost guaranteed improvements.

    Once other carriers pick it up, the sky is the limit for Palm if they handle it correctly.

    I only played with an Iphone right after they first came out and chuckled. It seemed toyish to me and I never cared to play with one again. I can't speak from that side of the opinion scale.
    Hey! Another convert! I have seen you around PPCGeeks and you gave some good advice.

    I got tired of the TP. Not because of the phone itself (hardware) but because of general sluggishness and numerous soft resets from apps crashing. Especially Opera. I know there were ways around it by using PIE or skyfire but I shouldnt have too. I tried out just about evey custom rom from 6.1 - 6.5 and could not find a happy medium. Anywho, now I use the Pre exclusively and use the TP as a house phone. Ballmer says MS screwed up on winmo and won't happen again...yeah right. I can't wait for winmo 7 because I need a phone that's stable now...not in 6 to 8 months.

    Your right though, Pre/Pixie is Palms best answer to a smartphone. 1.2.1 has just been released and this platform just keeps getting better.
  15. s219's Avatar
    Posts
    498 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by splmonster View Post
    Cannot agree with the speed issue, the 3GS and Pre both house the same CPU and memory. With the addition of 1.2 the Pre is about the same if not faster then the 3GS. It's also been proven it's faster over wi-fi and evdo loading web.
    I think you need to quantify that -- maybe run some benchmarks and get some hard numbers. With every release of webOS and iPhone OS, we benchmark our codes, and the 3GS running iPhone OS is still consistently faster (anywhere from 2X for basic number crunching to as high as 1000X for graphics).

    You have to remember that webOS apps are written in javascript. Even if you ran that code on a 3GS (ie, to eliminate any hardware difference) it would be slower than native code. And don't forget about graphics rendering, where the 3GS clobbers the Pre right now, because the Pre isn't using the GPU at all.

    1.2 feels faster than 1.1 in some areas, for sure. But quantitative benchmarks don't show that the Pre is suddenly equaling the 3GS in terms of raw computational performance. The software limitations in the webOS and Mojo SDK and the stunted hardware support make that a reality. At the same time, that means there is a lot of potential speedup if Palm can address these issues in the future.
  16. #56  
    Just a short anecdote: I was standing in line at Blockbuster earlier and was listening to the old 'Loveline' broadcast (on my kickass $20 headphones) via the 'Mediafly' app and was swiping between text/web.
    Then I noticed the youngster behind me was MESMERIZED at my Pre's multi-tasking ability...he was holding an iphone.

    Im thoroughly impressed with Pre and highly recommend it but the HotSync software leaves much to be desired.
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by ansharr View Post
    Just a short anecdote: I was standing in line at Blockbuster earlier and was listening to the old 'Loveline' broadcast (on my kickass $20 headphones) via the 'Mediafly' app and was swiping between text/web.
    Then I noticed the youngster behind me was MESMERIZED at my Pre's multi-tasking ability...he was holding an iphone.

    Im thoroughly impressed with Pre and highly recommend it but the HotSync software leaves much to be desired.
    Maybe he was mesmerized by the dork in blockbuster on his $20 headphones texting and browsing the mobile interwebs?
  18. deval's Avatar
    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Maybe he was mesmerized by the dork in blockbuster on his $20 headphones texting and browsing the mobile interwebs?
    LOL that's cold!
    Sprint Employee Disclaimer
    My replies and comments contain my opinion on the matters which have been posted, and do not represent the rules, policies and regulations of my employer and should not be taken as such.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions