Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I left work little after 5pm yesterday with a full charge and now it's 9am the next morning and I'm still at a full charge. I made one call (about 5min) and sent out some texts. I browsed the web a little and played with a few apps and I'm also getting email from 4 accounts. Normally doing nothing overnight cost me about 10% or more of my battery.

So the trick.... In phone preferences I turned off data usage and I have just been using wifi. It sucks sometimes having to go back in the phone preferences to turn on data usage again instead of not having to worry about it, but I will take the inconvenience for the better battery life.

Anyone else see this, or is palm playing a trick on me and my phone will still die when it has 100%?
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    Not sure if it is just wishful thinking but since I updated to 1.2.. my phone/charge has been pretty good. A lot better than it was previously.

No changes in app usage.
    where can I switch off data, which setting does this?
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biggamer3 View Post
    Under phone preferences (with phone app open), there's a data on/off toggle.
    Quote Originally Posted by biggamer3 View Post
    Open the phone dialer, then tap in the upper left where "Sprint" is...and youll get the pop down menu. Tap on preferences, then scroll down under Network there is a toggle called "Data Usage"
    we need an app that will turn data on and off from the launcher is all.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  7. jmf
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    What is lost with data usage off?

jmf
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf View Post
    What is lost with data usage off?

jmf
    EVDO signal. You'll still be able to txt and make calls, but no emails or browsing unless you have WiFi enabled.
    With Data off does that mean that you will be only able to get data when there is WiFi available? Also, if the Pre is idle will the background notifications from Messages and email stop working?
    An app that detects your configured wifi networks and automatically turns on/off data would be absolutely AWESOME!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    An app that detects your configured wifi networks and automatically turns on/off data would be absolutely AWESOME!
    I've already submitted feedback to Palm about this, there should be a profile that does this automatically. You could submit feedback too, in fact, everyone who thinks this is a good idea should, get the ball rolling. It's one thing to post on a forum about it, it's another to flood feedback with it.
    So, with this option on, is the Wifi always active (even with screen lockout)?
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    I've already submitted feedback to Palm about this, there should be a profile that does this automatically. You could submit feedback too, in fact, everyone who thinks this is a good idea should, get the ball rolling. It's one thing to post on a forum about it, it's another to flood feedback with it.
    Here's the link -

Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

Happy Feedbacking!

Cheers,
    -JerryG
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
    where does one go to give Palm feature suggestions for this phone?
    Turning WiFi on ALREADY disables EVDO.

WiFi chips take a lot less power than EVDO....
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammyc53 View Post
    Turning WiFi on ALREADY disables EVDO.

WiFi chips take a lot less power than EVDO....
    Bingo. When WIFI is on, it shuts off data via EVDO.
    When data usage is on you won't get any network acive alerts, like email, tweets etc. Only phone calls and text will alert you. Wifi is off until you turn on your phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    Not true, EVDO still holds an IP address while WiFi is on, meaning the radio is active. I just checked, and I'd post a screenshot, but I'd rather not give out my Pre's IP Data Session Curr. IP Addr. is still the same IP I had before enabling WiFi, while when in Data Usage off mode, the IP Address clears.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    But EVDO is still functioning when the phone is in sleep mode because wifi turns itself off.
    Wow, very good info. I will try that now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast