Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    What we need is an app that called "Toggles" to switch roaming, data, wifi, bluetooth....o wait.....we can call this battery optimizer....I will suggest it to the person that has this app but does not really do these things yet.
    I tried switching the data off this morning. I've been off the charger for two hours with WiFi on and data off. After no calls, some email, and about 5 texts, I'm at 97%

Battery monitor says 1.20 %drain per hour estimating 73 hours remaining life
    Last edited by mynameisjim; 10/02/2009 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Add
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I would really like to see the ability to keep at it 1xRtt and then when there is like web browsing or downloads it switches to evdo. For general sync of email I don't need evdo. Its all just background crap anyway.
    My Life with the Pre. http://theprelife.com
    With data off, does that mean all calls use 1x?

Not sure if there is a difference or not, but are EvDO calls supposed to be of higher quality? (I think IPhone calls sound better on 3G right?)
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thermodynamic View Post
    With data off, does that mean all calls use 1x?

Not sure if there is a difference or not, but are EvDO calls supposed to be of higher quality? (I think IPhone calls sound better on 3G right?)
    EVDO/1xrtt does not affect calls. Sadly, currently with the way CDMA works, they use the same radio, so when you are on the phone the data cannot be used.

Same goes with ATT with 3g, it does not use Data for phone calls.
    My Life with the Pre. http://theprelife.com
    Quote Originally Posted by exstatica View Post
    EVDO/1xrtt does not affect calls. Sadly, currently with the way CDMA works, they use the same radio, so when you are on the phone the data cannot be used.
    Right... While both 1xRTT and EVDO use the same radio, EVDO is also *only* usable for data - in fact, the "DO" originally stood for "Data Only" (now "Data Optimized," in a typical bit of revisionist marketing).

--John
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by exstatica View Post
    I would really like to see the ability to keep at it 1xRtt and then when there is like web browsing or downloads it switches to evdo. For general sync of email I don't need evdo. Its all just background crap anyway.
    If you would like to put your phone into 1xRtt what you need to do is open the phone app and type in ##3836# (3836 is evdo)... Normally your phone should be in Hybrid Rev A for the fastest speeds, but you can just click on data mode and change it to 1xRtt only and save it.
    So I'm confused: "Data usage off" only affects EVDO data, not WiFi data? Why wouldn't they just say "EVDO off"?
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Because the Data part of "Anything Data" plan has nothing to do with WiFi
    and many people don't know or care what EVDO is.

ian
    I have a new problem. When I enter my wifi connection (secure with hidden ssid) it works, but when I turn off wifi then back on, it forgets my wifi connection and I have to re-enter everything. Any ideas?

fixed. Just needed to reset modem and router
    Last edited by pjjohn73; 10/03/2009 at 11:37 PM.
    so is someone going to make a launcher toggle for this? That would be awesome
    i can confirm this works. i made some calls today, did some wifi browsing (10 min) and in a 7.5 hour period my phone only dropped from 100% to 92%. most of the data i use is wifi anyway BUT i got a MMS message and didn't find out until i turned data back on tonight.
    there should be a way to use txt/mms/phone calls over wifi like voip or something
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    With Data OFF (WiFi ON) texting works fine but if there is an image attached, it would not receive it until EVDO was activated again and then I receive it with a (delayed) time stamp.

Anyone confirm?
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    I'll second it. Definitely need an app that let's you toggle Data on and off like the GPS Toggle app!
    Even if you have WiFi, IM accounts will use EVDO unless you turn off Data Usage in phone preferences.

This is so that you can receive IMs while the screen is off, since WiFi is off at that time.

If you log into AIM or Gchat when "Data Usage" is off, your phone will log into IM every time you turn on the screen, and log out every time you turn it off. As you can imagine this can be annoying to those who have you as a contact, so if you use IM it's a good idea to keep "Data Usage" on.
    Maybe my eyes are deceiving me, but it seems like it's definitely improved.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    An app that detects your configured wifi networks and automatically turns on/off data would be absolutely AWESOME!
    The power consumption is very low, when I use wifi at home. If I charge it on the touchstone and remove it once fully charged, in the morning the battery shows 97%. I don't change any options, related to data.

If I use evdo non stop for browsing, emails and phone calls, the battery will last close to 8 hours. When I listen to music also, in 4 hours the battery is kaput. I use a stock battery on 1.2.0 OS.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Quote Originally Posted by k425 View Post
    I'll second it. Definitely need an app that let's you toggle Data on and off like the GPS Toggle app!

Preware Officially has a Patch that allows you to turn data on/off from the Menu droplist at Pre's homepage
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12