Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    PALM PRE RUNNING IN MEXICO

These 2 guys from México have bought Pre in Sprint, went to México and are running Pre with a carrier called LUSACELL .

Here are 2 videos they have made in Spanish.
    One of them have a website PoderPDA - INICIO

On the first video you can see runnig Pre in Mexico and still shows Sprint as a carrier ?????

On the second video Pre clearly shows Lusacell as a carrier.

The guy on the second video said on youtube in Spanish the following:

Hola! Uno mismo tiene que hacer el proceso de sacar los codigos especiales que en el distribuidor necesitan para poderlo dar de alta en su sistema, ya que los tengas se los proporcionas y te asignan la línea.

ENGLISH
    Hello One have to make the process to take out the special codes to provide it to your carrier, to get a phone line.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    ya... My pre worked in mexico when I went on vacation... Didn't need any special codes tho. Got a text message right when I got off the plane. Said welcome to mexico
  3.    #3  
    Great Sprint coverage
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    no the guy is running on another network besides sprint
  5.    #5  
    thats is I was thinking Just shows up sprint name but it is running on Lusacell carrier , Mexico
    or maybe both???
    I was just in Los Cabos for a few days, and my Pre did get on a foreign network there (it said "international" on the top left). I immediately turned air mode back on, though, as I had no desire to see what kind of rates those were going to be!
    Perhaps a little off topic here, but a related question for those Sprint customers who vacationed in Mexico:

Did you add the International-NorthAmerica roaming option ($2.99/month) to your phone during your trip? If so, I understand this was supposed to reduce phone calls to $0.20 each, but that the data was still $2.00/MB. If you left the data on during your stay, how much did the extra roaming data end up costing you? (I don't really want to start a thread to ask, but I'm curious. Hopefully this is a quick answer and not too far of an off-topic diversion.)

thx, -- Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    yes, this is good to know, i am going down there soon and perhaps the North America Intl Roaming would work great, just turn off the data in prefs..although text msgs without pics don't have that many kbs if i recall
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Actually, just heard from Sprint Cust Svc...this $2.99 option DOES NOT apply to Mexico travel..here is the chat log from their cust svc.

Jerri: Hi, my name is Jerri. Thank you for your chat request. Please wait while I review your information.
    Jerri: I will be more than happy to check the coverage. Is this the first time you have contacted Sprint about your question, for this trip?

What city will you be in, so I can verify coverage?
    Me: cabo san lucas
    Jerri: Give me a minute or so, please.
    Me: sure
    Me: yes, first time asking
    Jerri: Yes, your phone will workk in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.

The rate is $1.69 per minute, data is $2.00 MB and Texting is not yet available while roaming outside the US. Although you may receive a free welcome message upon arrival in a country, all other messages will be held for 48 hours to be delivered upon returning to the Sprint network. Messages that can not be delivered will be deleted after 48 hours. Messages that go through will be rated based on your texting plan or $0.20 per message if you do not have a texting plan.
    Jerri: When you are in another country, that is international roaming and unfortunately, we do not have an international roaming plan, as Sprint does not have towers in foreign countries, we have roaming partners and are at the mercy of what they charge.
    Me: isnt there a 2.99 a month option??
    Me: for reduced roaming, like canada
    Jerri: I will need to add the capability, (no charge to add) and to do that I need your PIN# or favorite hobby, please.
    Jerri: The $2.99 per month in on a Canada Roaming plan.
    Me: so there is no mexico option to do that?
    Jerri: We do not have a Mexico Roaming plan.
    Me: and the north america intl roaming plan only covers canada basically
    Jerri: The North American Roaming plan is for Air Cards only.
    Me: oh, i see
    Me: ok, before i proceed....if my phone is on, with data turned off to avoid texts...i won't be charged unless i answer or make a call or send/receive a text, correct?
    Jerri: And even with that plan for air cards, it is limited to 300 MB when roaming and the MB are prorated.
    Jerri: Correct, and most likely text will not work, but e-mail will. E mail is considered data and text is not.
    Jerri: Make sure your phone is set to automatic roam.

To dial to the USA, you will dial 00 1 area code, number. To make a local call, dial like you would if you lived there.

To check your voice mail, dial 00 1 your area code and number. As soon as your greeting comes on press the * key then enter your voicemail pass code, then press the # key.
    Jerri: If someone calls you from the USA, from their Sprint phone, they dial just like they would if you were at home and they are not charged extra, because they are in the U.S. calling an American number. You would be billed $1.69 per minute, only if you answered.
    Jerri: If you are calling each other and both phones are in Mexico you will be billed $1.69 Per phone, Per minute. You would be calling an American number so you will dial 001, then the area code and number. Sprint to Sprint is not applicable out of the country.
    Last edited by cjitty; 10/02/2009 at 08:12 AM. Reason: update
    I travel internationally quite a bit, and take advantage of Sprint's World Wide Data Roaming option, which cost a little over $1 a day (or $40/month). You can activate the option for just the days you are going to be abroad. I continued getting push email while in Mexico, just 40 minutes wouth of the border from TJ.

Another great thing about Sprint's World Wide Data Roaming option is that they will give you a SIM card that you can use in a GSM phone for use in countries where there is no CDMA coverage.
  11.    #11  
    Buying the Sprint's World Wide Data Roaming option,is cheaper than buying a new phone there.IMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    Buying the Sprint's World Wide Data Roaming option,is cheaper than buying a new phone there.IMHO
    Awesome. Thx.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    On a side note, I was fishing in Canada this summer, staying on an island in Lac Seul, Ontario, and got a Sprint roaming signal. I only placed a short call to confirm it worked, and it did. I don't recall having to pay anything extra, but it was probably less than a minute anyway. Next year we will go back to the same place and I won't bring a satellite phone this time.
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PookiePrancer View Post
    I was just in Los Cabos for a few days, and my Pre did get on a foreign network there (it said "international" on the top left). I immediately turned air mode back on, though, as I had no desire to see what kind of rates those were going to be!
    Haha...those rates are no joke! We went to Cancun for a week and I left my phone on airplane mode the entire time. I had an iPhone at the time and there was no way I was going to risk coming home to a $500 phone bill!
    Yes it's true there are like 50 or more Pre's running in mexico carrier Iusacell, It's a long process but after configuring the Pre work's fine with EVDO constant
    Cheers guys
    Yeah my sprint phone worked in the yucatan but it cost me $1.69 a minute.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Hi, I´m from Mexico and I´ve been writing on PoderPDA how to configure Palm Pre to work full on Iusacell.

Thanks to PreCentral an WebOs-Internals we are a lot of Mexicans surfing on Palm Pre.

I already configure 66 Palm Pre, many of them thru logmein, so I think in Mexico we have more than 400 PalmPre working.

I have to made a subdomain to put all the things about Pre in PoderWebOs

We all are reading PreCentral all time

Ricardo Hernandez (ScoutBuck)
    CEO PoderPDA
    PoderPDA
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    To have a PalmPre with 3G in Iusacell, you can get it since 200 pesos (less than 20 USD) to have unlimited data
    Last edited by scoutbuck; 10/03/2009 at 03:25 PM.
    PoderPDA
    Here is Sprint's North American Coverage map:

SPRINT PCS -
    If I help you out, why not "Thank" me? Or you can visit my site at http://outklaw.com
    Que chido que puedan usar este telefono aya en mexico. voy a checar tu pagina.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast