Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    I never really thought about this but if you look at it, we pay TAX on the the device at it for sale price and not the advertised price less the rebate and our rebate checks are the flat amount. I.E.- a phone cost 199.99 after 100.00 dollar mail in rebate but your paying 299.99 plus tax, to me we should have tax at the LESS rebate price of 199.99 and not the 299.99 price point....only few buck bet its food for thought
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I agree! But unfortunately it never works out that way. I guess from a corporate standpoint they are giving you a $100 rebate and that's it, what the individual state/city charges for tax is out of their hand.

the other thing to do would be to just mark the price as the discounted price already and skip the MIR altogether.
    Think about the sales tax you pay on the cash rebate, of potentially thousands, when you buy that new set of wheels...
    Don't panic, there will be plenty of time for that later.
    Global Posts
    381 Global Posts
    Yeah, but when you buy a new car, they take the rebate off before the taxes.
    Quote Originally Posted by bipoler View Post
    I never really thought about this but if you look at it, we pay TAX on the the device at it for sale price and not the advertised price less the rebate and our rebate checks are the flat amount. I.E.- a phone cost 199.99 after 100.00 dollar mail in rebate but your paying 299.99 plus tax, to me we should have tax at the LESS rebate price of 199.99 and not the 299.99 price point....only few buck bet its food for thought
    Good luck with that. When i bought my phone online it was like $549 - $250 "instant savings", to bring it to $299 (the full price) - $100 mail in rebate to bring it to $199. They charge me tax though on $549. I thought it was complete B.S. but i'd been waiting for the phone so what was i gonna do? argue with my computer screen?
    I some how got lucky with my rebate. I got the Pre @ a sprint corp. Store on june 6, & my fiance got the instinct s30. We both had $100 MIR's for a total of $200. When the check came in it was for $350. Cashed it quick, translation I got my Pre for $50!!!!!
    Last edited by CHEEZM03; 10/01/2009 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Mathmatical error
    Mail-in rebates are the worst. I mean why can't they just take it right off like they did at Best Buy? My brother had to do the mail-in and it was a 4 week headache.