Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    My pre took it's first real world test today as I accidentally dropped it on the cement.
    It was in the open slider position and I was bringing it down from my ear after a call and it somehow just slipped right out of my hand on to the cement.

I was thinking the worst as it hit the ground thinking I'd have plastic bits everywhere or 2 separate halves!

Much to my surprise after I picked it up the phone was still in one piece and still working like a champ, no reset, black screen or cracks!

The back cover had a scuff mark on it but nothing major. I have a touchstone backing which probably softened the blow (soft rubber feel ) and a plastic screen guard.

I'm sure luck had a lot to do with it but the point is the pre is not as fragile as it feels or looks.
    That's awesome. On the other hand, mine simply fell from my hand onto a kitchen-like floor and it now has a crack from the top side to almost the USB opening. Fun times.

Oh and when I say crack, I don't mean one of those hairline cracks. It's big and there's actually a separation where it's in two pieces. I'd take it back, but I don't want BB to give me a refurb phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    That's awesome. On the other hand, mine simply fell from my hand onto a kitchen-like floor and it now has a crack from the top side to almost the USB opening. Fun times.

Oh and when I say crack, I don't mean one of those hairline cracks. It's big and there's actually a separation where it's in two pieces. I'd take it back, but I don't want BB to give me a refurb phone.
    Sounds like a job for superglue. Seriously, it would probably be effective.
    ...I'd take it back, but I don't want BB to give me a refurb phone.
    Er hem... Are you having Blackberry flashbacks?
    If I help you out, why not "Thank" me? Or you can visit my site at http://outklaw.com
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

You'd take it back because YOU dropped your phone on the floor and now it has a crack in it?

Yeah, that's definitely palms fault.
    Uh, no, I'd take it back because the Best Buy insurance I pay $10 a month for covers accidental damage.

Anyway, I was thinking about glueing it, but with the case on it, you can't really see it. Plus with all the problems and fragility the Pre is prone to (I've dropped my Treo and iPod Touch many times, nary a problem), I thought I'd meter out the little things. It just sucks because I haven't even had the phone that long, so the RETURN itch is strong.
    Last edited by malpha; 10/01/2009 at 10:19 PM.
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    I don't see why everyone gets all bent out of shape about getting a refurb as a replacement. After all, it's in better shape than what you have now. Sure, you bought a brand new phone but now it's used so why would a refurb not be a fair trade? Not to mention a refurb has actually been gone through by someone rather than being slapped together on an assembly line and shipped out the door. I've had many different types of refurbed products and never had a problem with any of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by kd0axs View Post
    I don't see why everyone gets all bent out of shape about getting a refurb as a replacement. After all, it's in better shape than what you have now. Sure, you bought a brand new phone but now it's used so why would a refurb not be a fair trade? Not to mention a refurb has actually been gone through by someone rather than being slapped together on an assembly line and shipped out the door. I've had many different types of refurbed products and never had a problem with any of them.
    Agreed.
    Uh, no, I'd take it back because the Best Buy insurance I pay $10 a month for covers accidental damage.

Anyway, I was thinking about glueing it, but with the case on it, you can't really see it. Plus with all the problems and fragility the Pre is prone to (I've dropped my Treo and iPod Touch many times, nary a problem), I thought I'd meter out the little things. It just sucks because I haven't even had the phone that long, so the RETURN itch is strong.
    well jeez, if you have insurance that covers this type of damage, then use it! I think that's why you pay for it.