Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I too switched from the Instinct to the Pre and it felt like going from a pinto to a corvette. The pre is everything the Instinct had promised to be. As far as battery life my pre has better battery life then my Instinct did. Unless you count the spare battery then no, but who wants to carry an extra battery in there pocket. I do have the car charger for both phones but I would have to charge my instinct far more then I have to with my pre. The 2 features I miss from my Instinct are video recording and visual voicemail, but those features are coming so no worries there. I would say you would be alot happier with the Pre. It's the BEST phone I have ever owned by far!
    be careful of the things people tell you on here 90% of the people on this site stood in line on the release day just to get this phone, and from my experience because of this are unable to see this phone as anything less than the greatest phone in the world.
    what this phone does have is a great operating system and multitasking is great aside from the extreme drain on the battery and lack of apps in the catalog to actually use the multitasking with. unless you are a tech expert and are prepared to hack the phone than the lack of basic features may frustrate you. and if you are accident prone be very aware that the plastic used or the housing of this phone is extremely brittle and one drop on the concrete and the pre may explode into a million pieces.
    My recommendation would be to wait a week or two and see where the app catalog heads and than maybe give it a 30 day trial.
    Actually I got my Palm Pre in late August. And coming from the Instinct the reguler Pre app store crushes whats available for the Instinct. The features of the Pre actually work, for example you don't have to wait 30 seconds for your music to load to listen to your mp3's. The browser actually works and works great. Also alot of times with the Instinct if you are say browsing the internet or have an app open alot of times a phone call would not come through. With the pre you never miss calls from having an app or multiple apps open.
    My Pre is used for my business which is sales. It lives on a charger. Even then can completely lose its charge if I am making calls??

Don't buy into it. Lots of nice features. But there are better phones.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I'm another person who switched from the instinct. It is definitely better all around. As many have pointed out, there are plenty of ways to preserve battery life. When I first got it, i ran through my battery in probably 2-3 hours (too excited and messed with every feature/app), but since then have never had a day where it died or even came close. The only thing i actually miss from the instinct is the visual voicemail, but that is a very small price to pay. Get the Pre.
    You kind of lose credibility even admitting you owned an Instink.
    If anyone lost some credibility for the Instinct it would be Spint. The "Iphone Killer" and many other broken promises from Sprint. Alot of us bought into the hype and waited for updates that were suppose to make the phone better, that never really happened.
    I came from the Instinct as well, and if you are concerned about battery life, get you a backup battery. I liked having a back up for the Instinct and it did the trick for the Pre. Enjoy the Pre!
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hyjinx View Post
    I'm another person who switched from the instinct. It is definitely better all around. As many have pointed out, there are plenty of ways to preserve battery life. When I first got it, i ran through my battery in probably 2-3 hours (too excited and messed with every feature/app), but since then have never had a day where it died or even came close. The only thing i actually miss from the instinct is the visual voicemail, but that is a very small price to pay. Get the Pre.

I also came from the Instinct. And this phone is like night and day. I even think that the Pre is better than the Iphone (which is over hyped). Give it a chance to get more apps and it will have the Iphone beat.

Also, hyjinx it won't take long for webOS to get visual voicemail. I assume that will come with the next major update to 2.0 software. And fully expect that sometime next year.

Probably launching with the new Pre (which I will also buy). Don't get me wrong. Android which Sprint is going to get is strong also. But webOS is stronger. I will never get another phone. Ever. WebOS customer for life here.
    I got the instinct because it had a large screen, and because of all the hype comparing it to the iphone. I grew to really dislike it over time, and could hardly wait to replace it. I think the Pre is a way better phone than the instinct. There will always be a better phone, I might like an Omnia2 with AMOLED, but I'm very happy with the Pre.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Purchase the Pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by draztikrhymez View Post
    I went from Instinct to the Pre and never looked back.

The feature i miss is Visual Voicemail and thats about it lol
    Ditto
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicky View Post
    The Pre is a better phone in almost every single way. Of course I am a bit biased because the Instinct was probably the worst phone I've ever had (next to the Samsung Upstage of course), and I'll never own another samsung phone as long as I share air with ya'll.
    I too had the upstage, that makes two crappy samsung phones in a row... guess it really only can get better.

thanks to everyone on here for your input, i think im definitly going to go ahead and take a chance with the pre. i am going to keep my instinct as a back up for a while anyways till the pre can prove itself to me. as soon as i get it i will be sure to post a review on here a probably many other forums as to how i like it. but until then, thanks
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    RunningFish,
    I also purchased the Instinct the day it came out thinking it was the best thing since sliced bread! although i did like it, it lacked alot of things. I agree with most the only thing that I miss from the Instinct is the Visual Voicemail, but that will be coming soon to the Pre I'm sure. Everything about the Pre is awesome you should really not let battery life scare you away, I highly doubt that you have no access to a computer or outlet? I leave mine on the Touchstone at work all day and sometimes plug it in at night at home even if i dont it is still charged more than enough until I get to work. I play games, text, make calls, browse the web, check facebook, myspace, filecoaster, listen to pod casts, pandora multiple times of all these all day long and not once have I ever drained my battery so much that I was stuck??

bottom line Instinct was great. PRE is SUPERIOR! good luck with your decision.

Wilky
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    RF, one thing though. For the first week or so of having the phone, you might want to keep ur Instinct on for alarm purposes. My Pre has done some weird things at first with alarm times and phone time and if I didnt have the Instinct alarm, I may have been late to my first job at 4:00am...

Just a suggestion for a few days if you rely on your alarm...
    Motorola Q (HORRIBLE) -> Samsung Instinct (Almost as bad as the Motorola) -> Palm Pre -> HTC Hero
    Well I have had the pre for a few weeks. I upgraded from an old phone so it was an upgrade nonetheless. However, if you want to compare it to the instinct here are some pros and cons. My buddy has the instinct and we go back and forth with this. With the pre you cannot change the ringtone for an incomming message, low battery, e-mail, etc. Its all "da ding" thats it, you can add vibrate to it but thats the extent of it. The instinct has digital voice mail that downloads to the phone, the pre you still have to call voicemail. You cannot fwd a message with the pre, there is no option. To send an exitsing message you have to reconstruct the whole thing. The buttons for the keyboard are debateable, i prefer buttons that I know when i push them. the multiple application at the same time is by far the best quality the phone has. no more loosing texts cause of a phone call or incomming message. You wont lose it. Internal 8g of mem is sufficient.
    I just switched from the Instinct to Pre. For you former Instinct users, how do you transfer your contacts from the Instinct to the Pre?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12