Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    I've been playing about with the Pre Emulator for the dev kit while waiting for the UK launch and I must say that several key usability features are missing from google maps.

    1- You can't search from within google maps for your contacts stored on the phone.
    So you can't for instance pick your current location and the do directions to one of your contacts.

    2- if you search on a business and click the top bar to go to the information screen, you can see all the info but you can't click on the web page and be taken to their home page.

    You cannot also add the contact and ALL the info as a new contact. You can tap the phone number and be taken to the call screen, where you can add as a new contact. But this only takes over the phone number and not ALL the detail.

    Hope they fill in the missing blanks to bring this up to the standard of the iphone app.
  2. #2  
    I still cannot believe there's no "Search Nearby" option... pretty much one of the top reasons i use Google Maps.
    "Last edited by ChappyEight; 09/24/2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: To bow to zeravla."
  3. ssrjazz's Avatar
    Posts
    786 Posts
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    #3  
    I still cannot believe there's no "Search Nearby" option... pretty much one of the top reasons i use Google Maps.
    Uh... just have it centered on your location (blue dot) and type something in to search for. It will search nearby and show you. Used this tons last week (webos1.1) when I was in Orlando.

    Anything that isn't an address like: Food, pizza, beer, bar...etc...
    Last edited by ssrjazz; 10/01/2009 at 11:04 AM.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz View Post
    Uh... just have it centered on your location (blue dot) and type something in to search for. It will search nearby and show you. Used this tons last week (webos1.1) when I was in Orlando.

    That's if i'm at the exact location i need to search near... not if i'm planning ahead

    e.g. i'm in a car driving to some place, want to search for a restaurant near my destination... can't do it

    NERMIND... i figured it out
    Last edited by zeravla531; 10/01/2009 at 11:05 AM. Reason: i'm stoooopid
    "Last edited by ChappyEight; 09/24/2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: To bow to zeravla."
  5. ssrjazz's Avatar
    Posts
    786 Posts
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    #5  
    Search for a particular address, Hit the menu button, Clear Map. That will leave you where your address you searched for was and bring up the search bar. Type in whatever you're searching for..it will search 'nearby' where the map is centered.

    Just did this to find pizza places near a concert venue that's 100 miles from me. Works just fine. Also did this BEFORE I was in orlando...see.. planning ahead.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz View Post
    Search for a particular address, Hit the menu button, Clear Map. That will leave you where your address you searched for was and bring up the search bar. Type in whatever you're searching for..it will search 'nearby' where the map is centered.

    Just did this to find pizza places near a concert venue that's 100 miles from me. Works just fine.
    Yeah i editted my previous post out of stupidity. I was looking for the search nearby option like regular Google Maps, but i did what you said prior to your post and it works like a charm.

    Thanks
    "Last edited by ChappyEight; 09/24/2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: To bow to zeravla."
  7. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #7  
    what I find funny is that google maps complaints started the day the phone was released. No latitude, walking directions, settings don't stick, lacking features etc. Ij many ways Google Maps on some of our cruddy old flip phone had more features.

    The pre defense force came out and did their thing where they call people impatient and point out its new and updates are just around the corner. Well, its october and the maps app is still the same so there's a legitimate question on if built in apps will EVER be updated or if we have to wait for 2.0
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    what I find funny is that google maps complaints started the day the phone was released. No latitude, walking directions, settings don't stick, lacking features etc. Ij many ways Google Maps on some of our cruddy old flip phone had more features.

    The pre defense force came out and did their thing where they call people impatient and point out its new and updates are just around the corner. Well, its october and the maps app is still the same so there's a legitimate question on if built in apps will EVER be updated or if we have to wait for 2.0
    Don't forget google's comment that since webOS is so easy to code for, new features won't even take an app update to implement!
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    Don't forget google's comment that since webOS is so easy to code for, new features won't even take an app update to implement!
    That's because Google Maps on Pre is just an optimized webpage not even a local app. So there's nothing to update on Pre itself.
    "There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't"
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilehavoc View Post
    That's because Google Maps on Pre is just an optimized webpage not even a local app. So there's nothing to update on Pre itself.
    That is correct. If only they actually updated it once in a while
  11. solarus's Avatar
    Posts
    554 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #11  
    My only real complaints are the lack of saved settings and the fact contacts are not accessible for directions and such.

    What someone mentioned earlier about walking and public transit directions not being present see here:

    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...res-1-2-a.html
    Last edited by solarus; 10/01/2009 at 11:39 AM.
  12. #12  
    It's also missing the Favorites feature that most other Google Maps program had on Treos.
    I like to use this to see the traffic conditions of certain spots on my commute.
    Also, the traffic overlay covers all the highway markers. How in the heck am I supposed to see what road is what?
  13. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    Don't forget google's comment that since webOS is so easy to code for, new features won't even take an app update to implement!
    that's good to hear. I was wondering how those 3rd party built in apps would get updated.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions