1.    #1  
    My daughter "lost" her Pre yesterday. She thinks that it may have been stolen from her school bag, but we are not sure yet. I checked the sprint site to see usage...and it hadn't been used for voice calls at least since she had it last...so there is that.

I called sprint next to get them to deactivate it from their network. I then thought more about it and decided to use palm's "wipe" feature...so I logged in and hit the "lost my phone" button...but it was off sprint's network at this point.

Soooo....I am interested in what folks may know here...including:

1) If it is off the Sprint network, will the device still access data with wifi? Sprint CS said no, but I am not so sure.

2) If it does work with wifi, I assume that the new "user" will have access to all of her online accounts in the cloud...email, facebook, etc. (yes, we have changed all of her passwords...for email, facebook, IM, and her palm profile...PITA)

3) If it does still work with wifi, will palm's "wipe" command get to the phone? Seems like it should...especially when the phone contacts palm via wifi for the nightly backup.

4) If we find this thing (perhaps because someone decides to turn it back in at her school because it is now a black brick), can I restore it using WebOSDoctor or does palm's wipe/lost phone function require a visit to a sprint store.

5) If we get it back and it has *not* yet been wiped because being off the sprint network has, in fact, disabled wireless, is there some way to cancel the palm wipe request before we get the phone reactivated on sprint?

Tough to get answers from sprint on these things since you really need a palm CS rep for some of them.

Hard facts are very welcome, but I'll take guesses too.

cheers,
    Steve
  2.    #2  
    77 views and no guesses. Oh well, if I do figure this stuff out (assuming that we ever find the phone), I'll let you folks know.

cheers,
    Steve
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Sorry no answer for you but you should install "Where is my Pre?" or "Cellstalker" Homebrew apps on your pre just in case something like this ever happens again.
    Apache-->755p-->Mogul-->Pre-->TP2-->Hero--->PRE!!!
    Don't hold me to this, but I read in a post somewhere on these forums that the phone will not work without being active on Sprints network. How much truth was in this, I do not know. I believe the OP said he was completely locked out of his Palm profile without the phone being active. I would assume that she should be pretty safe as far as her passwords go, but good job on changing them just to be sure.

I would suggest her implementing at a minimum a simple pin lock on her replacement. Then they wont be able to get into her info unless they're really savvy. Sorry I can't help more than that, hopefully someone will have some more info for you.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by hnharrison24 View Post
    Don't hold me to this, but I read in a post somewhere on these forums that the phone will not work without being active on Sprints network. How much truth was in this, I do not know. I believe the OP said he was completely locked out of his Palm profile without the phone being active. I would assume that she should be pretty safe as far as her passwords go, but good job on changing them just to be sure.

I would suggest her implementing at a minimum a simple pin lock on her replacement. Then they wont be able to get into her info unless they're really savvy. Sorry I can't help more than that, hopefully someone will have some more info for you.
    Great stuff. Thanks much.

Regarding adding GPS tracking, well sure ...but for now, I am mostly concerned about where the horse is and what he is doing...and not so much about what can I do to fix the barn door.

Thanks again!
    1. Wether the Pre will work or not is up to debate. Considering it has already been activated, all the other person would have to do is enable wifi in order to use it.

2. Yes they will have access to everything like facebook/pandora/memos/tasks/email/calendars

3. Not sure. Hope it still wipes but I am guessing it will not considering they need an activated phone in order to wipe it. Maybe get Sprint to reactivate it so that you can wipe it. and deactivate it.

4. Will have to go back to the Sprint Store to get it reactivated

5. Do not really know but I am assuming either the wipe was successful and theres nothing to be done or unsuccessful and you may have dodged the bullet or Unsuccessful and your will lose your data once its reactivated

either way good luck and hope the best
    5. Even if the wipe was successful, I think you can just restore the phone through a back up. I believe I read somewhere that Palm can restore your profile once you get your phone back, but I doubt it will restore and mods or homebrew apps.

Edit:

Also, I think I remember from one of the podcast that Dieter said something about the Pre basically being a brick when he switches from his Pre to his Treo. So I think once you deactivite the account the phone should be useless. However, a hacker could actually get to the data on the phone.
    Last edited by StephenRD; 10/01/2009 at 01:28 PM. Reason: To add more information
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenRD View Post
    5. Even if the wipe was successful, I think you can just restore the phone through a back up. I believe I read somewhere that Palm can restore your profile once you get your phone back, but I doubt it will restore and mods or homebrew apps.

Edit:

Also, I think I remember from one of the podcast that Dieter said something about the Pre basically being a brick when he switches from his Pre to his Treo. So I think once you deactivite the account the phone should be useless. However, a hacker could actually get to the data on the phone.
    To restore from a backup you need the palm profile email address and password, so if it wipes he's safe.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Not sure how true this is but when I exchanged my Pre, the rep asked me if there was anything I needed (text msg) he said once the new phone was activated the old phone data would be erased. Now when we activated the new one, it did say something about profile already exist do you want to continue, it was at that point, according to the rep, that the data on the old Pre was removied. Hope that helps
    Global Posts
    202 Global Posts
    Have Sprint reactivate phone, then do a wipe on it and then deactivate. Have Sprint put in your notes your phone was stolen and notify you if someone tries to reactivate it. I know it is to late for this phone, on your next put whereismypre on it. Once the phone is wiped it is done right then can not cancel.
  11.    #11  
    Awesome stuff. Thanks again folks!
    Anytime, sorry you & your daughter have to go through this. Let us know the outcome.

GOOD LUCK!
    Quote Originally Posted by Huss30 View Post
    Sorry no answer for you but you should install "Where is my Pre?" or "Cellstalker" Homebrew apps on your pre just in case something like this ever happens again.
    cellstalker? i do not see that app in the homebrew.
    Quote Originally Posted by fgcchevy View Post
    cellstalker? i do not see that app in the homebrew.
    The search feature of this forum will help you find apps, support, etc..... heres the link http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...re-my-pre.html and Where Is My Pre?

Cheers!
  15.    #15  
    UPDATE

FYI, we never found the phone...so I can't provide any more insight on my original questions...but I can let you know what happened next.

We filed a claim with Asurion. Second time that I have done this in the last three years...and the experience was the same...pretty much fantastic.

Asurion offered free two-day shipping of a replacement. I paid $20 extra and had the replacement in-hand in less than 24 hours. I opened it up and it was a brand new in-box Pre...with all accessories...which helps make up for the loss of the Touchstone back.

Activating was a pain...and required a trip to the Sprint store after Sprint CS couldn't get it to work...but the folks at the store used some master codes to get it up and running in about ten minutes.

BTW, Asurion tags the prior phone as lost/stolen...and informs Sprint...so it cannot get reactivated by someone else without setting off alarm bells...which is nice.

Thanks again for the input.

cheers,
    Steve