1.    #1  
    I am getting my Palm Pre tomorrow and I just want people to tell me what the must have apps and hacks I should do to it first. I am really excited!!!
    Before and apps or hacks I would recommend getting a screen protector. I'm currently using PhantomSkinz and I have to say I love it so far. Totally worth the $10 or less you will have to pay for it.
    Install webos quick install then filecoaster and preware....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I agree with gfunkmagic.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Here are my most frequently used add-on apps for now. Like many, looking for a new wave of apps to show up in the catalog soon, but these are solid.

Pandora - App Catalog
    Dr. Podder - Preware
    Shoutcast - You'll want to poke around on the various flavors to see what you like
    My Tether - If you want to tether your laptop,
    A token 'where' style app from the app catalog (Tells you where stuff is, food, etc.)
    Fandango - App Catalog
    and then, a bunch of games to sift through to pass time.

If you're going to be syncing with Exchange, I'd make sure you're updated to WebOS 1.2, configure and test Exchange sync and if it doesn't work, then roll back to WebOS 1.1 with WebOS Doctor before you install and configure much on the Pre. It'd be painful for you to get everything humming to find that Exchange sync won't work for you in 1.2 until they get it fixed. But that may not be relevant.

Have Fun!
    you don't really need filecoaster if you have preware because the filecoaster feed is on preware lol

and phantom skins are my recomendation as well I used zagg inviso shield but it is not as easy as phantom skins ,although PS are a little bit of a pain as well.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Like the one guy said, Pandora, drpodder, mytether, and fandango. Pickings get slim after that. But when you get bored, you'll take anything. Kinda like how crackers taste pretty good when you're starving.

1. Anyways, make sure 1.2 is on it first.

2. Play around with settings & accounts. Might want to set some bookmarks. Use that period of time to get a good sense if your Pre performs ok.

3. Get webOS install and get Preware on it.

4. Then do the apps.

Screen protector? Never used one.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    Install webos quick install then filecoaster and preware....
    I am getting my Pre today as well. But I thought WebOS Quick Install is not working for WebOS 1.2? Has it changed?
    @myrcgarge. I don't think the updated version is out yet, but Quick install still works for installing Preware and IPK files and patches.
    Quote Originally Posted by n420z View Post
    @myrcgarge. I don't think the updated version is out yet, but Quick install still works for installing Preware and IPK files and patches.
    But I heard somebody was having problem with version 2.61 that it won't regconize their pre. Is that right? How do I install Preware if that is the case?
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by myrcgarage View Post
    But I heard somebody was having problem with version 2.61 that it won't regconize their pre. Is that right? How do I install Preware if that is the case?
    i think you're right...i read that as well. i dl'd the new version at work and tried to get my pre to recognize but it didnt. my webos is 1.2. then i went home, which has an older version of quick install and it worked... so i think you need an older version of the quick install...i dunno which version i have tho.
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    From PALM App Catalog
    Accuweather, MCraig, Pandora, NYT

From Precentral Homebrew

Preware, Filecoaster, Devmode Launcher

Then pick whatever you feel like from the homewbrew section
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Like the one guy said, Pandora, drpodder, mytether, and fandango. Pickings get slim after that. But when you get bored, you'll take anything. Kinda like how crackers taste pretty good when you're starving.

1. Anyways, make sure 1.2 is on it first.

2. Play around with settings & accounts. Might want to set some bookmarks. Use that period of time to get a good sense if your Pre performs ok.

3. Get webOS install and get Preware on it.

4. Then do the apps.

Screen protector? Never used one.

I'm as well a newbie and just got my pre yestesday. Seem liked most of you suggested webos and preware to be the first choice. Where exactly can I get those? Thanks you.
    As for games, you can't go wrong with BlockDrop off PreCentral's app feed, Topple Ball is pretty neat too but the controls can get a bit frustrating at times. Word Whirl is really fun, but can make you feel pretty stupid if you aren't the best at it. Solitaire and Mine Search are always great to have as well.

Depending on what type of music you listen to, you should check out SHOUTcast. There's literally thousands of 24/7 internet radio stations at your fingertips with this and is especially good if you listen to electronic music. I've cancelled my sattelite radio subscription for my car because of SHOUTcast and Pandora.

An absolute MUST is the remixed Music app. It adds tons of functionality to Palm's stock music player that should have been there to begin with.

FriendsFlow is great if you're a Facebook user. It's much more functional than the default x.facebook.com bookmark that comes with your phone, and it's easier to navigate than m.facebook.com

I don't really use many apps off of the App Catalog, but there's some good stuff on there. Things like Fandango/Flickster, wikiHow (useful how-to and survival guides), AccuWeather (if you can tolerate ads)

Definitely install Preware as well, there's tons of themes avalible from it. I'm not 100% sure if the theme installer works with 1.2, though.
  15.    #15  
    This community rocks and so does the phone Im loving all the suggestions thanks guys!!!
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Don't forget AccuRadio.. I think it's better than Pandora
    I have a Skinomi front skin and I love it.

App wise...

Music Remix--available via Preware. A much better replacement for the built in player. Includes saving tracks, playlists on the fly, ABC menu and so much more.
    Fandango- movies for everyone.
    Devmode Launcher, Preware--Devmode to easily get my Pre ready for Web OS Install, and Preware for most of my downloads
    Brightness Unlinked--Allows me to dim the screen but light up the keys. Ideal for texting in dark areas. Also comes with the option to kill the screen while on the touchstone.
    Tweed--awesome Twitter client
    Evernote--great for tasks. Syncs to ANYTHING.
    Accuweather
    PreUpdate--Updates all apps that the regular updates won't. That is, homebrew.
    Missing Sync--made by Mark/Space. Allows me to sync everything to my computer.
    WHERE