Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So many of users had a bad experience of going to 1.2 and using the tweaks from quickinstaller (sometimes phone becomes dead weight, with no options for recovery, including webOSdoctor). The wisdom gained from these problems was that there is actually no hardware reset for palm PRE, in case when the operating system is hung. Both, people from PRE and people from Spring store told that the only way go about it is to replace the phone (on warranty for now).

Now how many phones will Palm have to replace before they will realize, that they are losing (a lot of?) money? And why is it so hard to just build in a system, that recovers the phone to the manufacturer's settings, that is not dependent on operating system or PC connection, like iPhone does.

I really like my PRE, and I don't want it to go poof because of some stupid mistake like this. Can someone at Palm read this, and may be do something about it?
    Manufacturers shouldn't (and don't) design for morons. If people are stupid enough to venture into things they know nothing about, it's at their own risk.

It should be THEIR responsibility to PAY for a replacement. It drives me NUTS how people troll forums to find the best way to lie about their phone so they can get a free replacemnt, when the damage is their own doing...
    Sorry for the double-post. Not sure what happened there.
    Last edited by insane42; 10/01/2009 at 12:33 AM.
  4. afx
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    actually there is a hard reset- I had to do it when I first bought my phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by stasbel View Post
    So many of users had a bad experience of going to 1.2 and using the tweaks from quickinstaller (sometimes phone becomes dead weight, with no options for recovery, including webOSdoctor).
    Really? I thought only people who can't/won't read and follow directions had problems? Maybe "at your own risk" just doesn't carry the weight it used to.

The wisdom gained from these problems was that there is actually no hardware reset for palm PRE
    I wouldn't necessarily equate ignorance with wisdom. There is, indeed, a hardware reset.

I really like my PRE, and I don't want it to go poof because of some stupid mistake like this.
    Then, don't make that mistake.
    I didn't think it was possible to brick a Pre?

I personally try to keep it stock for stability and hassle free experience (not quite working for me though.)
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Um, it's called WebOSDoctor! Less than 30 minutes, and the phone is back to factory settings! What more do you want? You say you just want a way to fix stuck Pres and revert them back to factory settings, but that's EXACTLY why Palm made WebOSDoctor in the first place. All it does is wipe the phone and do a fresh install of the OS

So, what's the point of this thread again? Complaining about something that isn't an issue, and then asking Palm to give us something that has been available all along?
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    There is a way certain Sprint stores can get you going again, but a service center is where you need to go. As long as they use a program that refurbishes phones, then there is a chance they can restore the PRE. It takes awhile to load similar to webOS doctor, but this is the last hope (of course after an attempt with webOS doctor too, but not all service centers will have webOS doctor). I work at a service center and have been able to get some PRE's that were hung up working again. So it can be done.

You can also use webOS doctor at home, they will let you download straight from PALM's website. Just type in the search for webOS docotor at the top of their home page, and it should bring it up. There are also other methods of getting it, like through these forums for instance. Just search it and you shall receive.
    Last edited by lna1326; 10/01/2009 at 02:19 AM.
    I think you shouldn't want to use quickinstall tweaks until Jason updates and optimizes it for 1.2...
    (sometimes phone becomes dead weight, with no options for recovery, including webOSdoctor)
    This is 100% false. No such animal from a bad update, no matter what tweaks you've misguidedly installed or failed to remove before the update.

Quote Originally Posted by insane42 View Post
    Manufacturers shouldn't (and don't) design for morons. If people are stupid enough to venture into things they know nothing about, it's at their own risk.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    I didn't think it was possible to brick a Pre?
    Anything is possible, but most of us don't own the specialized equipment required to make software changes that would brick a Pre so the Dr couldn't fix it, and anybody who does have such equipment, would know exactly what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by pullbangdead View Post
    So, what's the point of this thread again?
    Ignorance is what it's about. (not to be confused with stupidity, although probably ignorance resulting from laziness)

Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    I think you shouldn't want to use quickinstall tweaks until Jason updates and optimizes it for 1.2...
    Good call. The developer of WOSQI has gone well out of his way to make it absolutely clear that the current version is NOT compatible with 1.2

Now, for anybody who believes they have "bricked" their Pre and can't run the doctor, and is too lazy to use the search feature, let me explain how to use the WebOSDoctor on a "bricked" Pre.

1) Turn your Pre completely off. If the lock screen is so messed up that you can't turn it off, remove the battery to kill it. If you have to take the battery out, leave it out until I tell you to put it back it.

2) Plug your Pre into the USB port on your computer.

3) Press and hold the volume up button. Do NOT let go of the volume up button until I tell you to.

4) Turn on your Pre. If you had to remove the battery, put it back in now.

5) Within a few seconds at most, (maybe instantly) you should see a large USB symbol that fills the screen of the Pre. Once you see that symbol, you can let go of the volume up button.

6) On your desktop run the WebOSDoctor. It should be a .jar file. When you double click on it, depending on what OS you have and what other software you have installed, it may try to open it like a .zip file. This is NOT what you want to do. If that happens, close out whatever opens, and then right click the WebOSDoctor and select "run with Java" or something like that.

7) From there, you'll get a nice friendly program that you will basically just dumby-click though.

*Note: You can't run the WebOSDoctor on a dead battery, so plug your Pre in to charge for an hour before starting if you're not sure about the state of the battery.
  11.    #11  
    I really want to thank VeeDubb65 for the recovery instructions. For some reason after searching online, talking to PALM people, and talking to Spring people, nobody could give me these instructions. Thus, back to the nature of this post - why nobody in PALM and in Spring stores know about it, and the only solution they have is to replace phone by warranty????? If it is so easy, what is the difficulty to teach the employees and technicians to do that, instead of replacing phones left and right - and ULTIMATELY LOOSING MONEY (the point of this post)???
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    why people continue to use quick installer tweak before it becomes compatible with 1.2 is beyond me. the thing is, some of these people know that it's incompatable to 1.2 and still insist on using it. some have try to use an earlier version of tweak. jason had said that at the latest it will be fri till a compatible version comes out. we can't wait a couple days?
    I really want to thank VeeDubb65 for the recovery instructions. For some reason after searching online, talking to PALM people, and talking to Spring people, nobody could give me these instructions. Thus, back to the nature of this post - why nobody in PALM and in Spring stores know about it, and the only solution they have is to replace phone by warranty????? If it is so easy, what is the difficulty to teach the employees and technicians to do that, instead of replacing phones left and right - and ULTIMATELY LOOSING MONEY (the point of this post)???
    Now you know why Apple doesn't support jailbreaking and actually discourages it. Support would be a nightmare as would ensuring apple support is educated about it. It would be a money drain for them, not a profit enhancer.

Remember Dish Network's vip922 receiver from CES? It comes with slingbox built in. And it came with promises of a Spring release. It's still not out. But as much as it sounds good on paper, imagine the support nightmare for this for the average person and having to educate installers on hooking up routers or networks?

While Palm is open to homebrew, they're basically making life harder for Sprint and its support. My thought would be either go all in with it or go the Apple route. Taking a neutral approach invites a bit of chaos.

But i'm not a dev. This is JMO based on what little i know. They'd probably have better insights on this.
    You know...I recently called a thread the dumbest piece of nothing ever made.

But I've decided it's this one instead.
    Stupid people doing things beyond them even though they make posts ON THE FRONT PAGE saying to remove all tweaks before and upgrade dont deserve nice things.

Go buy an iphone and join the dolts.
    So many of users had a bad experience of going to 1.2 and using the tweaks from quickinstaller (sometimes phone becomes dead weight, with no options for recovery, including webOSdoctor). The wisdom gained from these problems was that there is actually no hardware reset for palm PRE, in case when the operating system is hung. Both, people from PRE and people from Spring store told that the only way go about it is to replace the phone (on warranty for now).

Now how many phones will Palm have to replace before they will realize, that they are losing (a lot of?) money? And why is it so hard to just build in a system, that recovers the phone to the manufacturer's settings, that is not dependent on operating system or PC connection, like iPhone does.

I really like my PRE, and I don't want it to go poof because of some stupid mistake like this. Can someone at Palm read this, and may be do something about it?
    Don't kid yourself. Someone at Sprint does know how to fix the phones that are exchanged and these phones are now back in circulation as refurbs. If you took your "bricked" phone to Sprint today, there is a good chance that your replacement phone would be a refurbished one.
    say spring one more time
    Based on your somewhat disjointed posts I'm thinking it's possible that the folks at SPRINT (not Spring) and PALM may not have fully understood what you were trying to tell them...thus your frustration.

Interesting thread.
    I think is a possibility to brick your phone where it doesn't come back to life. It's called screwing when you flash the ROM. I think webOS is loaded into the NVRAM, like when you load install an OS on your computer. However if you upgrade the ROM and screw up, then the burn into the ROM is corrupted thus the machine's hardware is dead and won't be able to boot into the boot loader program which will recognize the hardware. However with that said, I don't think Palm has upgraded the ROM or has needed to as of yet.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast