Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I have a Japan cell battery and when using the battery monitor application, I get anywhere from 5%/hour (overnight when not using the phone and with Wifi on) to over 10%/hour while at work with normal data usage and no phone calls.

How did you get contact information for a Palm representative to get the replacement battery? Also, what type of improvement have you or anybody else has experienced after changing from a Japan cell to a Korean cell battery?
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Any news on that?

Apparently, many GMS Pres also have the type "A" battery and most of them (not all) have short battery life.
    I just checked my Pre. I have a China made, origin Japan with S/N starting in "A." So this means I have a defective battery. And my battery life is terrible to back this up.

I am going to go to my Sprint store and see if I can get a replacement battery that is the good Korean batt.

will they know about this defect? If they have a bulletin then it should be no issue.
    ^^^

Just to follow up...I went to the Sprint store today and talked to a tech about my battery life being poor. And that I had a few problems with it turning off when shutting the keyboard, turning off when charging on the touchstone, and just randomly restarting.

He said he would look at it to see if it had a defective battery. He started to remove the back cover (touchstone back) and walked to the back room. He came out a few minutes later with the back cover on and said, "Yes, your battery is bad and we will send you a new one in a few days since we are out of stock."

I asked him what was wrong with this one. And he said that the first batch of phones sent out had batteries made in Japan and were defective. I bought the phone at the end of July...so it must have been a long bad batch...

I was shocked and didn't even tell him anything about this thread. Then again I have been happy with my store. They seem to know what they are doing.

That was it, no charge, no other questions asked. I was out the door about 10 minutes later.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Korean origin battery here, excellent battery life
    Quote Originally Posted by WildSioux View Post
    I asked him what was wrong with this one. And he said that the first batch of phones sent out had batteries made in Japan and were defective. I bought the phone at the end of July...so it must have been a long bad batch...
    this is not true, i have a pre from launch party (june 5th) with korean battery
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    Well geez if I can get up to 3% per min drain with my Korean battery I don't know what I'd do if I had a Japanese. I got my Pre on launch day.
    same here.

I was really expecting to see a japanese battery, because sometimes my battery life is just atrocious. at least now I know things could be worse, haha.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    what number did you call? Palm support or Sprint customer service?
    Ok interesting I have had my pre for 3 days and have the korean battery, im draining rediculous fast like 15-20% an hour....all radios off, just texting all cards closed n screen brightness at like total minimum....

I went to the store they put a jap battery but I asked for a korean so they gave me both n im still having the drain on both of them....

Where as I have a few friends who run full brightness run the web and apps and get 8 hours or more a day.....but most of my friends have bad battery but not AS bad as mine....so basically does it pretty much mean there are a TON of defective pre's out there? cause my friend who runs all his crap n full brightness id love to have that phone cause i dont even do much on my work day n it drains so fast...

seriously i love the phone and the OS is the best iv ever used....aside from things that erk me which can only be fixed by update the battery issue is a major one so basically do i have a bad phone?
    i was really hoping to find the defective battery but i too have the korean and my battery life is atrocious- a few calls, screen almost all the way down. email on manual, minimal web and i'm lucky if i get past 1pm
    Quote Originally Posted by hotis300boy View Post
    Ok interesting I have had my pre for 3 days and have the korean battery, im draining rediculous fast like 15-20% an hour....all radios off, just texting all cards closed n screen brightness at like total minimum....

I went to the store they put a jap battery but I asked for a korean so they gave me both n im still having the drain on both of them....

Where as I have a few friends who run full brightness run the web and apps and get 8 hours or more a day.....but most of my friends have bad battery but not AS bad as mine....so basically does it pretty much mean there are a TON of defective pre's out there? cause my friend who runs all his crap n full brightness id love to have that phone cause i dont even do much on my work day n it drains so fast...

seriously i love the phone and the OS is the best iv ever used....aside from things that erk me which can only be fixed by update the battery issue is a major one so basically do i have a bad phone?
    My situation was the exact same, and felt that my Pre was defective too. I bought the Seidio 2600 battery and dealt with it that way, but it seems even that drains faster than usual sometimes.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Ok you guys have the whole korea vs japan thing all wrong. There was no difference in battery life between the two. The japanees batteries were more likely to cause the device to power down when a sharp force was applied aka opening and closeing the pre.

One fact you guys seem to have not considered is that many people usage and other factors that drain the battery, are more than this battery can take in a day. So learn to charge it in the middle of the day sometime. I charge it in the car and at work at times when it seems to have drained extra fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by giblet View Post
    Ok you guys have the whole korea vs japan thing all wrong. There was no difference in battery life between the two. The japanees batteries were more likely to cause the device to power down when a sharp force was applied aka opening and closeing the pre.

One fact you guys seem to have not considered is that many people usage and other factors that drain the battery, are more than this battery can take in a day. So learn to charge it in the middle of the day sometime. I charge it in the car and at work at times when it seems to have drained extra fast.
    This is exactly my experience. I had a Japan cell with undesirable battery life. I went to the Sprint store a couple of days ago and they replaced my battery with a Korean cell battery. I saw no noticeable battery life difference.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    I had a japanese battery in my new GSM Pre and battery life was pretty poor.

The shop sales man exchanged mine with his, which is also a japanese and this one is much better.
    Well my experience is I had the slider issue with it shutting down when I would close the slider. This is after I dropped the phone. Thank you seidio case and invisible skin btw. Well I took it in and he said I had a battery from that was from China and I needed the Korea battery. Well since then I have had no crashes and the battery life seems decent.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    korean battery. ok battery life.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Korean battery here.

Battery life was awful UNTIL I started manually signing myself out of gtalk. Apparently it will stay connected and talking over the network draining the battery even while locked. Now that it's off I can usually pull 2 days on a single charge. Stock battery.

Ordered one of the replacement 2250 mah batteries on ebay so I'll see how much this improves battery life/usage. Should have it in a week or so.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ETUTREO300 View Post
    Has anyone heard this and can you please check your battery and post feedback:
    Does the country of origian, Japan vs China, make a difference in Pre Battery Life?

I have horrible battery life-halflife doing minimal things with my Pre. At a full print Store with Repair, the Repair tech, who uses a Pre, looked at my battery and said that I have the "Chinese" made OEM battery and I should try to locate a "Japanese" made OEM battery (he did not have any) as the Japanese OEM Pre Batteries had a much better day to day battery life than the Chinese made ones.

I searched the threads and did not find anything on this. I could not tell if he was just kidding with me, but he was otherwise very helpful on repair matters and authorized a new (I assume refurbished) Pre for spider cracking coming from the volume button area, which he said he had not seen before (early Pre version obtained on party night).

If you have amazing battery life, please post if your Battery has Japanese country of origin wording, etc. etc....

If you have heard this too, please advise. Could it be this simple???

Personally, I think he was just kidding with me... but in case not, please post your experiences with this.

Thanks - Etu

3 types of batteries are around for the pre:

Chinese= short battery life.

Japanese= good stand by and use but the size is wrong and when u open or close the phone the phone will power cycle (can be fix with piece of double size tape)

Korean = Good life and no problem with the size reset effect
    Hey guys,

Purolator just sent me my new/refurb palm pre after i complained to bell about the oreo on my first pre. In my first pre i have a battery made in China, but has an origin from Korea. The new one i got has a battery made in China, but has an origin from Japan. Does this me the battery in the new pre is defective and i should go get a new one?

thanks in advance,

Krab19
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    I called Palm hoping they'd send me a new battery but they referred me to a Sprint store. Palm said they weren't sure specifically which batteries had the known issue, no specific serial numbers. Yes "A" serial number was the early version, but possibly not all are affected.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast