View Poll Results: Would you like a universal remote function for your Pre?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely!

9 64.29%
  • I suppose

2 14.29%
  • No

3 21.43%
  1.    #1  
    This is a question for anyone with developing experience...

I'm wondering how possible it would be to create a "remote control" app to control things like TV, DVD / blueray, etc. I know there's a couple of windows - based remote apps in beta, but I'm thinking for general use, kind of a "universal remote" app for the Pre. Is this something possible / worth someone's time? Thanks!
    I didn't think the Pre had an IR port.

Maybe the PS3 via bluetooth.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJLunacy View Post

It doesn't as far as I know. PS3 control would be nifty, but I have a logitech harmony one with the PS3 adapter. I seriously doubt any app would replace that combo for me.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by DJLunacy View Post

ok, I'm showing my complete lack of knowledge here with this but I assume an IR port is something within the hardware itself, correct? Is it correct that most TV remotes rely on radio emissions, something that the Pre could utilize?
  5.    #5  
    ok, Infrared port, at least that part of my idiocy has been nullified. Yeah, I guess not having that would be a big setback, huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Conect11 View Post
    ok, I'm showing my complete lack of knowledge here with this but I assume an IR port is something within the hardware itself, correct? Is it correct that most TV remotes rely on radio emissions, something that the Pre could utilize?
    IR = infrared, which is a range of wavelengths of light on the electromagnetic spectrum.

99% of devices have an IR receiver, which receives IR signals from an IR emitter, such as a remote control. The Pre cannot send IR signals, which means it cannot communicate through conventional means to the TV, or other AV stuff. However, devices like the PS3 have a bluetooth radio, and the pre could communicate through that.

Older Palm devices had an IR port and did have apps that could control the TV. It was great fun do to people back in high school and in college.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    IR = infrared, which is a range of wavelengths of light on the electromagnetic spectrum.

99% of devices have an IR receiver, which receives IR signals from an IR emitter, such as a remote control. The Pre cannot send IR signals, which means it cannot communicate through conventional means to the TV, or other AV stuff. However, devices like the PS3 have a bluetooth radio, and the pre could communicate through that.

Older Palm devices had an IR port and did have apps that could control the TV. It was great fun do to people back in high school and in college.
    yeah, I remember my friend Dan had a phone a few years ago that he used to control the tv whenever we were at a bar, drove the other customers nuts. Ok, the bluetooth workaround works for the ps3, but obviously conventional TVs and such don't benefit from that, unless there is a bluetooth adapter out there somewhere, which I'm not willing to bet on.
    You can set up radio receivers that then send an IR signal at close range to your AV equipment, which is fairly common for multi room setups. The pre might be able to broadcast a radio signal that would work, but you would need some serious hardware access to pull it off, so you would need Palms support.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Would be cool, but as said already, with no IR I don't think it would be possible. Not easily anyway.
    If you would like to donate for my time and programs for developing Apps, use the Link Below. As Always, Thank You!
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...ton_id=8599279
    It would take more than just Palm doing it (unless they invented another device). A BT controlled IR transmitter could be created, and the Pre could control that. Would probably take more coordination and work than what would happen.
    Mobilesrc is a program that allows you to use your winmo phone via bluetooth to control a ps3. Check out the youtube vid
    Mobilesrc is a program that allows you to use your winmo phone via bluetooth to control a ps3. Check out the youtube vid