Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey,

So my first pre died about in about 1.5 months because the headphone jack stopped working altogether. My second Pre the screen was messing up. Now my third Pre, that I just got today, has a dead pixel in the screen.

What do you think I should do? My friends say I'm too picky and that I should just live with the dead pixel and move on. I am the kind of person that would get really bugged knowing that my phone has a dead pixel.

What do you think I should do? I feel kind of bad always going back to the Sprint store and asking for a replacement but then again, I paid $200+ for a working phone - not a phone with a dead pixel.

Exchange? yes or no?
    If the hardware issues lurking around were not as bad I would say yes, but of your happy with everything but the dead pixel I'd say keep it.

Better than have one with the Oreo!
    I tried to return mine for a stuck pixel and they wouldn't.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    For one pixel? no. -m
    If you think it will bother you that much then exchange it, however, you run the risk of receiving a phone with a slightly larger gap or something else which may bug you.

You should not feel bad asking for an exchange. You paid good money and if there is anything wrong with anything you buy from Sprint, then you have the right to exchange assuming you are within the appropriate time frame.

With all that said I do agree with YBCold and others. I would keep it. I think that may be the consensus but I may be wrong. It ultimately ends with your comfort. Can you post a screen shot?

Good luck with whatever decision you make!
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    For one dead pixel I doubt you would get an easy exchange. I know from monitors you need an area before you can get an exchange, even out of the box. You would really have to make a huge stink before they would exchange it for one pixel, IMO.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I just recently noticed that I have a row of about 15 dead pixels along the right hand side of my screen, ****.

Best way to screentest your new Pre is to download a black/all black background and set it as the wallpaper, then carefully look at your display from all angles.

I think I'm going to return mine and hope they don't give me any problems for a swap.
    if it really bothers you deeply then return it...i have a dead pixel and its bright red but it doesnt bother me in the least because it has no impact on performance but everyone is different...
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I have one too but I only notice it when I have the all black boot screen is up. One dead pixel doesn't bother me so I wont exchange mine. If it get worse then I'll have it replaced.
    I say since you just got the Pre and you noticed it instantly, then asking for another one wouldn't be too much of an inconvenience. Unless you already installed all of you homebrew whatnot, then prob not.

Go for it. You paid for a 100% functional device. I have a dead pixel, but noticed it one month in, so now I live with it, and it doesn't bother me at all either.

So like I said, if you haven't done any mods to the phone yet, then def try to exchange it. If you did however, then it doesn't seem worth it.

BTW, what is the OREO effect? Is it wobbling phone?
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    I just recently noticed that I have a row of about 15 dead pixels along the right hand side of my screen, ****.

Best way to screentest your new Pre is to download a black/all black background and set it as the wallpaper, then carefully look at your display from all angles.

I think I'm going to return mine and hope they don't give me any problems for a swap.
    You should actually test for all colors to make sure it's not a stuck pixel instead of just dead. A pixel can get stuck in a way that it always appears black.

The test below takes up the whole screen and even includes a way to try to unstick stuck pixels.
    Stuck Pixel Fix for iPhone
    I returned my first one for a dead pixel. I tried to unstick it, but it was dead and right in the middle of my screen. I took it back and the person at the Sprint store said it would bug them too. I've had this one now for a long time and it works fine. If it bothers you, you should get a new one...
    I have a "live" pixel - just one white pixel in the mid upper half of the screen. I thought it might bug me, but I've gotten over it. (I did return my first Pre because of yellowing along the bottom of the screen.)

My Sprint store (actually, kiosk in the mall) has always been very helpful to me. If it's going to bug you, give it a try (to replace it). I've kept mine just because everything else on the phone works fine.

Good luck -
    Hells yes. My launch pre had a dead pixel and I exchanged it. You paid for a 100% working device, why not get what you paid for.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Welcome to open source. Things can get bumpy. Please fasten your seat belts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianagr View Post
    You can also swipe a counterclockwise semi-circle around the center button to go back. [Do a back gesture]
  15.    #15  
    thanks everyone for your feedback! I decided to swap. I went to the Sprint store and they are ordering a refurbished phone. I'll post an update when I get it in and tell everyone if I got a non-oreo pre!
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livewire1337 View Post
    thanks everyone for your feedback! I decided to swap. I went to the Sprint store and they are ordering a refurbished phone. I'll post an update when I get it in and tell everyone if I got a non-oreo pre!
    good to hear you returned it. I would have advised you to do so. I did and am much happier. when you see those god damn dead pixels you never forget where they are
    Quote Originally Posted by livewire1337 View Post

You made the right decision. You wouldn't have been able to look at the screen without it looming large. Sort of like a big zit on someone's face when you're trying to have a serious conversation...impossible.
    Don't panic, there will be plenty of time for that later.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Just to share a similar story, I've been going back and forth between swapping my phone, which has very slight wobble and a dead pixel that I can only see on totally black screens. I was living well with it the past two weeks until I saw my brother in law's pre -- it is PERFECT. No wobble and no dead pixels.

interestingly they're both mfr'ed on the same date.

I decided I'll go to the sprint store tomorrow since I'm within my 30 day period, I should be able to swap for a new one.

Good luck with the refurb OP!
    I have a dead pixel on the right border of the screen towards the middle and it bugged me at first, but I got over it. I only see it on a black screen and it is pinkish color.

I know some companies, like Dell, will do a warranty return if you have 3 or more dead pixels on a computer monitor (at least they did last time i looked).

For me, swapping phones is a huge deal because I have invisible shield. If I swap, I have to take the shield off and get a new one installed.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I returned mine 4 times for a couple dead pixels. If you pay for a flawless device, that is what you should get
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast