Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by thermodynamic View Post
    There is a definite difference. I've heard that CPU scaling wasn't implemented on the Pre in the beginning. Perhaps it has been for 1.2 and that is the cause of better standby life?
    If you look at time_in_state, no. It runs at 500mHz the whole time (except a little tiny bit during boot at 550mHz).
    something has changed on my pre, that is for certain.
  3.    #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    If you look at time_in_state, no. It runs at 500mHz the whole time (except a little tiny bit during boot at 550mHz).
    Haha, thanks for the quick clear up!

Is 500 the minimum and maximum? (IE. does it increase if you play a video, for instance).
  4.    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by zerty55 View Post
    something has changed on my pre, that is for certain.
    Since you are in this thread, I assume that ambiguous "change" is battery life?
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    The difference is, on 1.1 it was all guesswork. Now we have a good tool that gives us quantitative data. And point 1- I never thought that I had increased battery life from 1.0.2 through 1.1.0, so it's not like I've thought this with every update.
    I'm not saying there isn't a real improvement in 1.2. But your report is also
    mixed with just as many (if not more) saying that they're getting
    "horrible" battery life now. The forum is littered with em, as is this
    thread. We saw similar examples after 1.1.
    Battery Improvements with 1.1
    Battery life after 1.1
    Battery post 1.1 if you are/were experiencing an increase in drain please reply

I just think those who freak out over battery usage should hold off for at
    about a week after each major update, until things stabilize.

ian
    Quote Originally Posted by thermodynamic View Post
    Haha, thanks for the quick clear up!

Is 500 the minimum and maximum? (IE. does it increase if you play a video, for instance).
    Without any hacks, yes. It's at 500mHz 100% of the time except for a very tiny bit at the beginning during boot. Probably a mix of a newer version of the Javascript framework and better optimization while in sleep.
    I do some heavy browsing and txt, normal calls check my email 3 times a day play with some apps and my battery last around 12 hours now its only last around 7 hours or less today I remove it from the charger around 9 am at 4 pm I was a 30 % I also have the seidio 1350 mh battery.
    To add to my earlier post, here's an updated screenshot. 13 hours with all that going on, plus ~3 hours left is huge for me.

Data Usage On, Wifi On, GPS On, AIM/Gtalk On, Bluetooth Off, email set to come as it arrives, Twee and FriendsFlow checking every five minutes, plus the following cards open all day: BatteryMonitor, Calendar, Tasks, Email, Messaging, Twee, FriendsFlow, Memos, Clock. I didn't want to change the results by having Battery Monitor take readings too often, so I set it to to update every 30 minutes. 3/4 of the time I was connected to my home Wifi, though that's misleading, because when the Pre goes into sleep mode it turns Wifi off anyway.

I used Google Maps with GPS for 45 minutes, and was using the NFL app for about 30 minutes to check out various videos on it. Also was IMing pretty heavily for about an hour.

I also had about 20 minutes of calling today.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    before when on standby I would lose 3-5 per hour. Now I am losing .3-.4 an hour. I'm really liking it.
    I had a few comments about my terrible battery life in the beginning of this thread, but I am happy to report that somewhere along the way, the battery DRAMATICALLY improved... I was previously losing 10-15% an hour (on standby) and it has dropped to 2-5% with no changes to my settings!! A couple of things I did, which I have NO clue whether this had anything to do with anything, as they seem to be sort of random:

1) I changed my hotmail from 5 minutes to 30 minutes... left it on that setting for a couple of hours, then went back to 5 minutes.

2) Drained the battery to 0%, then back to 100%, then back to 0%, then back to 100%.

That's what I did, and somehow, things were fixed... again, it may have nothing to do with what I did (maybe Big Brother Palm is just watching me and reading my complaints! ha!). But worth a shot anyway...
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Are we seriously going to have to have 30 knock down drag out threads
    about battery life after every WebOS update?
    Same thing happened after 1.1, but some either have very short memories
    or just weren't here before that. Some reported that the same
    thing happened after the previous update.

Yes there may be some long term improvements, HOWEVER
    what we have seen before is wild inconsistency reported immediately
    after the update for at least a a few days. The best explanation
    consistent with the symptoms seems to be that the battery meter
    simply loses its calibration and needs a few cycles of discharging
    fairly deep and charging before it is accurate again.

Poor calibration can explain virtually every symptom we see after
    each release. Extraordinarily high usage. Extraordinarily low usage.
    Gauge getting stuck at 100% for an hour or more. Gauge not
    reaching 100% for a long long time charging. etc.

I haven't upgraded to 1.2 yet (still waiting for Quick Install update)
    but my battery % was a mess after 1.1 and many other people reported
    the same sorts of things we're seeing today. After about a week,
    the reports all but dried up completely. A very small number of
    people continue to have high battery drain, but it's usually fairly
    consistent before and after, and is most likely due to Sprint coverage problems.

As for long term improvements. If WebOS 1.2 has had as many
    optimizations to the code as has been reported, then it should
    use less CPU and thus less battery under normal usage, and while on standby.
    Shame they couldn't fix the damn idling streaming app bug though,
    which sucks the battery down dry in only 3-4 hours.

BTW, I easily get 20+ hours on standby with 1.1. GPS is off
    and email interval is 30 minutes.

ian
    This is why I run battery monitor, so I can have visual proof that my battery life has indeed improved. I used to hate on 1.1 going out at night and having my phone crap out on my while I was out, even though I don't use my phone a ton, so 1.2 is a definite improvement, especially last night, lasting all the way until nearly 11pm. There is no "if" about the code optimization, people much more intelligent than I have already compared 1.2 to 1.1 on a file by file basis, it's most definitely there. I'm getting 20+ hours of standby with emails set to push and GPS always on, if that tells you anything.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    way better battery life now with 1.2 for me. I use the Sprint Navi quite a bit, so i keep my pre on my car charger since i like having the screen on..but all in all, i love the better battery life!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Dude! Since you're trying to convince someone of something you have the burden or proof. Therefore it's YOU who needs to provide the document or link to support your argument.
    I have to disagree with you on this one ronlongo. The dude refuting people's actual observations about improved battery life is trolling here. If they said that battery life was worse, the troll would be quoting those posts. Clearly we all know in the case of a bad signal, that wifi helped with battery life since this phone was released. I don't think this is a placebo.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Immediately after the update, my battery life was terrible. But, after running the battery dry and recharging it to full, my battery life has been better (maybe 10%-20%) than with webos 1.1.

So if there is anyone experiencing worse battery life after the update, launch an app that drains the battery quickly and when the phone shuts down on its own, plug it in. After 10 minutes or so, it will start back up and once it is fully changed, you should be getting much better battery life.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Since 1.2 - I have noticed a 75% increase in overall batt life.
    typical day since 1.2: (just the stock batt)
    work and home have sucky coverage 1-2 bars - jumps to 1x every once in a while
    30 mins drpodder
    pop check every hr
    no im / no gps / no wifi
    at least 1 hr of farting around with patches
    10+ calls
    25+ txts
    LED Blinking

I have not had to charge my pre for 36+ hours and I am still at 23%
    this mornings use, standby only:

phenomenal, its never been so low! That's on evdo as well, something major has changed in sleep mode.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Armchair Commando View Post
    Immediately after the update, my battery life was terrible. But, after running the battery dry and recharging it to full, my battery life has been better (maybe 10%-20%) than with webos 1.1.
    The battery gauge needs to recalibrate, and the most effective way
    to do that, is to run it dry and recharge fully.

ian
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    this mornings use, standby only:

phenomenal, its never been so low! That's on evdo as well, something major has changed in sleep mode.
    Yes, palm lowered the CPU usage of LUNA. Standby mode will show gains from this alone.
  19.    #99  
    Actually now that I think of it, I have the same experience as many did on this thread:

My battery life seemed bad right after the update (I'm guessing the download and install of 1.2 didn't exactly help), and the battery actually ended up dying on me that day. But after an overnight charge, that's when I started noticing how good the new battery life is.

I'm now way more confident I can pick it up off the charger in the morning, get through a full day's work, and even have enough juice for a night out. For a phone this powerful, that's impressive!
    mine seems worse. I only used to have to charge once daily usually at work. Lately, I have to charge it twice daily...at work and overnight. I suppose if it becomes too big a deal I can always get the extended battery.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast