Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I just want to know where that battery app is at. I did not see it in the app store or on the phone.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkspnt View Post
    I just want to know where that battery app is at. I did not see it in the app store or on the phone.

Thanks
    Battery Monitor in the Homebrew apps: http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/batterymonitor

Use Preware or WebOS Quick Install to install.
    I haven't paid much attention to it, but it does seem that the battery life is better.

One thing I have noticed though is that it seems to take the phone a lot longer to charge. Anybody else notice this?
    Mine definitely seems a lot worse. I dunno what's going on...
    I used my phone pretty like I usually do. (heavy web browsing, text, couple phone calls, light gaming) I usually end up with my battery below 10% or dead seeing I don't have a spare yet. But today really a lot more than usual and still had 34% at the end of the day (8 hrs.).
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I experienced exactly the same effect, albeit in a different 24hr cycle - I applied the 1.2 update late at night. Early the following morning (unfortunately as I was attempting to show off my phone to co-worker) I noticed that the Pre was completely dead (stock battery; 07/2009 build date).

And this occurred - as I recall - on what had been around a 27% charge roughly an hour previous with no usage whatsoever. Terrible, even by 1.1 standards.

Like yourself, there's a happy ending to this story.

Since then I've seen dramatic improvements in battery life with no change in usage patterns; I simply don't have to charge up daily at around 6pm as I used to (all connectivity on, GPS, etc; gmail checked every 15 mins; no AIM; about 5hrs of Ampache over EVDO or Accuradio line-out; Bluetooth off; lots of WiFi in the AM). I'm guesstimating here, but I think it's about a 40% improvement.

Sure, this is all anecdotal, but I used to be able to set my clock by when I had to plug-in and charge. After 1.2, not so much.

And, if you're curious, my co-worker bought a Pre anyways despite the snafu and is very pleased with his purchase.
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggityDang View Post
    This thread is really upsetting... am I the ONLY one who's gone from terrible to even-more-terrible since 1.2???
    No I've noticed my battery drain much quicker as well since the update. Was at first thinking it was that GPS had been turned on and couldn't figure out how to turn off as the toggle switch was removed. But have now combed the threads and discovered the "preferences - locate me using..." way in WebOS 1.2 of turning it on/off and see that indeed it has been off all this time. "Google service" has been on and I can't think that is causing battery drain. Anyone know whether having this on would cause severe drain? If not then it's something else....
    Another great day of battery life. Here's my graph for while I was at work:

And I restarted it when I got home and switched from EVDO to WiFi. This is also when I start using the phone a LOT more, I'm a pretty heavy user when I'm at home, Twitter, browsing while I watch TV shows, gtalk/aim/sms, etc.

So, I took it off the charger at 7:30am, it is now 10:45pm, and I'm just at 17%, with heavy use over the last 5ish hours. I'd say my battery life is excellent, and I'm on the stock battery, with no battery savings tips.
    Last edited by Elysian893; 10/01/2009 at 11:51 PM.
    Haven't quite had that great of results with 1.2, but for me today, I've got 8+ hours of battery, with 41% remaining.

Data Usage On, Wifi On, GPS On, AIM/Gtalk On, Bluetooth Off, email set to come as it arrives, Twee and FriendsFlow checking every five minutes, plus the following cards open all day: BatteryMonitor, Calendar, Tasks, Email, Messaging, Twee, FriendsFlow, Memos, Clock. I didn't want to change the results by having Battery Monitor take readings too often, so I set it to to update every 30 minutes. 3/4 of the time I was connected to my home Wifi, though that's misleading, because when the Pre goes into sleep mode it turns Wifi off anyway.

I used Google Maps with GPS for 45 minutes, and was using the NFL app for about 30 minutes to check out various videos on it. Also was IMing pretty heavily for about an hour.

I also had about 20 minutes of calling today.

In other words, this is pretty regular usage for me, with pretty much unheard of battery life for me. (Last month on 1.1 I left for a wedding at 2pm, and when I got to a charger again at 12am or so I was at 18% - even having turned off most features halfway through the day anticipating an issue). Anyway, I still haven't put the Pre back on the charger, so I'll see where it ends up at, though at this time of night my usage is greatly decreased.

My guess is that the sleep mode has been greatly optimized, and regular usage uses about the same as always.

Edit: Oh and the image was taken immediately after an update, not that it matters.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Battery Monitor in the Homebrew apps: http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/batterymonitor

Use Preware or WebOS Quick Install to install.
    I thought WebOS didn't work with 1.2
    Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    I thought WebOS didn't work with 1.2
    Works fine for me, just some patches don't work.

I also edited my previous post, I had the same screenshot twice...
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Works fine for me, just some patches don't work.
    hmm...maybe it can't be installed after 1.2

I've never tried either Preware or WebOS

I would like to try this battery app though to see what I'm getting
    QuickInstall works to install in 1.2. It doesn't work entirely for tweaks yet.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    QuickInstall works to install in 1.2. It doesn't work entirely for tweaks yet.
    did you install QuickInstall after the 1.2 update?
    Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    did you install QuickInstall after the 1.2 update?
    Quick Install doesn't 'get installed'- it's a desktop application only. But yes, I know for a fact that you can use QuickInstall to install apps on a 1.2 Pre and certain versions of QuickInstall work with certain tweaks on 1.2 as well)- both from personal experience, and from reading, especially on the threads about that program... you might want to try it sometime.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quick Install doesn't 'get installed'- it's a desktop application only. But yes, I know for a fact that you can use QuickInstall to install apps on a 1.2 Pre and certain versions of QuickInstall work with certain tweaks on 1.2 as well)- both from personal experience, and from reading, especially on the threads about that program... you might want to try it sometime.
    I was actually just looking at it. There seem to be a lot of horror stories in that thread...don't really feel like bricking my phone for a battery monitor.
    i went to bed and pulled my phone off the touchstone at 100%. 8 hours later when I woke up, I was shocked to see it had only gone down 10%. It was twice that is 1.1

Also, my batt seems to last all day now. no more having to worry about getting it charged before I leave the house.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Are we seriously going to have to have 30 knock down drag out threads
    about battery life after every WebOS update?
    Same thing happened after 1.1, but some either have very short memories
    or just weren't here before that. Some reported that the same
    thing happened after the previous update.

Yes there may be some long term improvements, HOWEVER
    what we have seen before is wild inconsistency reported immediately
    after the update for at least a a few days. The best explanation
    consistent with the symptoms seems to be that the battery meter
    simply loses its calibration and needs a few cycles of discharging
    fairly deep and charging before it is accurate again.

Poor calibration can explain virtually every symptom we see after
    each release. Extraordinarily high usage. Extraordinarily low usage.
    Gauge getting stuck at 100% for an hour or more. Gauge not
    reaching 100% for a long long time charging. etc.

I haven't upgraded to 1.2 yet (still waiting for Quick Install update)
    but my battery % was a mess after 1.1 and many other people reported
    the same sorts of things we're seeing today. After about a week,
    the reports all but dried up completely. A very small number of
    people continue to have high battery drain, but it's usually fairly
    consistent before and after, and is most likely due to Sprint coverage problems.

As for long term improvements. If WebOS 1.2 has had as many
    optimizations to the code as has been reported, then it should
    use less CPU and thus less battery under normal usage, and while on standby.
    Shame they couldn't fix the damn idling streaming app bug though,
    which sucks the battery down dry in only 3-4 hours.

BTW, I easily get 20+ hours on standby with 1.1. GPS is off
    and email interval is 30 minutes.

ian
    The difference is, on 1.1 it was all guesswork. Now we have a good tool that gives us quantitative data. And point 1- I never thought that I had increased battery life from 1.0.2 through 1.1.0, so it's not like I've thought this with every update.

And secondly, I have every single feature turned on, and the device is waking up to update every five minutes, so your comments about 20+ hours are irrelevant.
  20.    #80  
    I agree with jhoff80. This is the first time, after an update, that I actually FELT an increase in battery life. I never noticed it when upgrading to 1.1, etc.

There is a definite difference. I've heard that CPU scaling wasn't implemented on the Pre in the beginning. Perhaps it has been for 1.2 and that is the cause of better standby life?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast